• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Worried about my friend re morphine OD but he is resolute.

NicholasK

Greenlighter
I do hope I am at least vaguely in the right area and I do apologise if not. Right now I am more worried about time than etiquette but please know I am sincere in not wishing to properly observe forum guidelines.

My friend, who is a 40 year old relatively fit male, has unfortunately come to the end of his tether and has purchased for himself 560mg of morphine sulphate with the intention of attempting to overdose and die. I have looked at the capsules and I think they are slow release because within the capsule are tiny balls which do not dissolve readily.

As much as I have tried I cannot watch over my friend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. My question is very simple and believe me I have searched and searched for the answer. He is currently smoking a sixteenth of an ounce of pretty low grade (sorry I can't be more specific) heroin a day. Will 560mg of morphine sulphate kill him?

I dont think anyone can answer that. He has tolerance at least so that is a positive in regards to him not ODing. I assume he is alive? Beg for him to get help, offer all the assistance you can and hope he listens.

It is a terrible but, having read more about it and spoken to other addicts, not unusual situation. Those that love him the most have had to walk away entirely. His wife finally left him just before Christmas last year having gone through hell for him. Half the time, I believe through lack of sleep, he is having psychotic episodes in the belief there are intruders/aliens in his house and walks around with machetes and fire-pokers, smashing his possessions up. I am the last person willing to even have contact with him. Some of those that love him the most have admitted they want him to kill himself as it must surely be better than this. The local hospital won't take him, nor the local treatment centre as he has had 7 detoxes in the last two years (4 alcohol, 3 heroin) and they believe him to be a lost cause.

He employed me 10 years ago to run his distribution business. This is a man who built up a company turning over £2million, had a wonderful family and within 2 years he has lost it all.

Someone will take him. It's a matter of getting him to the right location. There are community intervention groups that do evaluations and admit people that are a threat to themselves or others. You just have to call around. And regardless of insurance coverage an emergency room cannot refuse care. If the local hospital has an issue I'd bring that up but first I'd take your friend to the hospital the next town over. Many people who recover from addiction can say they've had a moment where they wanted to end it all (I've had a few) and are glad that someone intervened until they could think clearly and realize life is worth living.

If you really think he is a danger to himself and has the ability and resolve to go through with suicide then as fucked up as it sounds maybe you should have him put on a 5150/72-hour psych hold. I know it will probably feel like a betrayal on your part but would you rather see him dead?

I know you say nobody will take him but fact of the matter is nobody is gonna turn someone away who is a true danger to themselves who's intent on suicide, has a plan on how to do it, and is apparently ready to put it into place as he has already acquired the means he intends to do it with.

Now I'm not saying putting a friend on a psych hold is something that should be opted for lightly and you obviously know the guy better than us here on BL and if you think he doesn't really have it in him to go through with it then hold off. But if you truly believe that he WILL kill himself then I think you should step in rather than see him hurt himself.

If you really think he is a danger to himself and has the ability and resolve to go through with suicide then as fucked up as it sounds maybe you should have him put on a 5150/72-hour psych hold. I know it will probably feel like a betrayal on your part but would you rather see him dead?

I know you say nobody will take him but fact of the matter is nobody is gonna turn someone away who is a true danger to themselves who's intent on suicide, has a plan on how to do it, and is apparently ready to put it into place as he has already acquired the means he intends to do it with.

Now I'm not saying putting a friend on a psych hold is something that should be opted for lightly and you obviously know the guy better than us here on BL and if you think he doesn't really have it in him to go through with it then hold off. But if you truly believe that he WILL kill himself then I think you should step in rather than see him hurt himself.

I hate to quote people just to basically say, "yes, this is my opinion also," but I'm doing it. You know him best. 5150 him if you haven't resolved it by now and still perceive him as a threat to himself. You're the one who knows him, so use your best judgement. If you can, after reading this, try to have a conversation with him and "casually" get to the point where you can ask him about the morphine. Maybe you can say, "Hey man I wanted to try some, how many can you spare?" (Even if you have no interest in them, this is just to get an idea of whether he's already downed them all.) If you find out he has none left, or a smaller amount, assuming he didn't take them all right before he spoke to you, then you can sleep more sound at night. But if you talk to him, and he's still jibber jabbering about OD'ing, consider 5150'ing him.