Recruiting [Worldwide] Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS) Research Study

Cannabis Research

Greenlighter
Thank you for your interest! This survey is intended for participants who may have experienced CHS or Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. Participating in this study will help doctors and scientists understand more about CHS. Please note that completion of this survey is voluntary. All information you provide is confidential and the study is approved by the Institutional Review Board at George Washington University. Please click HERE if you would like to begin the survey.

Thank you for your interest! This survey is intended for participants who may have experienced CHS or Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. Participating in this study will help doctors and scientists understand more about CHS. Please note that completion of this survey is voluntary. All information you provide is confidential and the study is approved by the Institutional Review Board at George Washington University. Please click HERE if you would like to begin the survey.
Hi and welcome to BL, I have moved your post to a more appropriate area of the site. Can I please ask you to read our sub forum guidelines and include the information required.

Creating a more detailed post would be more beneficial to you when looking for participants.

Any questions then give myself or another Drug Studies mod a PM and we will be happy to help.

MsDiz

I haven't known anyone who developed it. From what I understand there may have been 2 deaths linked to it?
It seems astoundingly rare. Some peoples bodies just grow sick of THC overuse or don't agree with it in general, the latter is much more rare. If you're smoking an ounce a day for years it wouldn't surprise me if anyone got it, yet you got people like Wiz Khalifa and Snoop smoking insane amounts. I've always wondered if it only affected white people. So many rappers, countless rappers smoking ounces on ounces and you never hear of it from them.

I haven't known anyone who developed it. From what I understand there may have been 2 deaths linked to it?
It seems astoundingly rare. Some peoples bodies just grow sick of THC overuse or don't agree with it in general, the latter is much more rare. If you're smoking an ounce a day for years it wouldn't surprise me if anyone got it, yet you got people like Wiz Khalifa and Snoop smoking insane amounts. I've always wondered if it only affected white people. So many rappers, countless rappers smoking ounces on ounces and you never hear of it from them.
Doesn't CHS take effect when you stop?

Maybe they just haven't stopped

I don't think so, I think a lot of people who use it in really heavy amounts develop it while using said amounts. I've read about a lot of experiences on reddit and basically all of them were while still using it.

Ive suffered from CHS for the last 5 years or so and it has completely turned me off from using Cannabis habitually for the rest of my life. When i start using it i get these horrible flare ups and i will vomit for a week every 30mins its brutal.

Im gonna participate in your survey cuz its definitely something that needs more attention. Id really like to learn more about what happened to me. I was a daily smoker my whole life up until that point, it sucks so bad i cant get stoned ever again without risking illness.

Last edited:
For me it happens when i start to try and use it daily again, it will happen in as a week at times. Others i have been able to smoke for 1-3 months before it happens. If i just smoke one time and take a few hits a couple times a year im generally okay. But even that day my stomach feels a little off. Its just so risky and i dont like to roll the dice.

Ive smoked twice in the past year this way off a vape pen, and got so baked and it was enjoyable. But im scared of it happening again so i avoid using it in my day to day life. It sucks cuz my girlfriend is such a stoner and i buy her so much amazing Cannabis for the cheapest i ever got it. And ill i get to do is look at it

Some further information to supplement the brevity of the original post.

Participants need to be able to say yes to the following screening question to contribute. There does not appear to be any other requirements (e.g. no restrictions on country of residence):

Please confirm that you believe you have ever experienced an "episode" of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome or CHS anytime in the past or today.

An episode is defined as a period of nausea, vomiting, retching and/or abdominal pain that occurred for a set amount of time before going away.

Of note, this study is only intended for people have may experienced CHS in the past to learn more about the syndrome

I've also posted the full participant info sheet below for our reference.

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS) Survey

This survey is for people who have experienced CHS or Cannabinoid Hypermemesis Syndrome.

Your participation will help doctors and scientists understand more about CHS. All information you provide is confidential and the study is approved by the IRB at George Washington University.

Please complete all questions to the best of your ability. Thank you!

WHAT ARE THE REASONS TO VOLUNTEER FOR THIS STUDY?

Hello! This is a research survey to learn more about people who have suffered from cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome or CHS. CHS is a syndrome that is associated with recurrent episodes of severe abdominal pain and nausea in people who are regular consumers of cannabis (a.k.a. marijuana). In between these episodes, patients may have no symptoms, but symptoms return if patients are exposed to cannabis.

Although completing this survey will not directly benefit you, your completion of the survey will help us understand the syndrome better. This survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete, and at the end of the survey, you will have the option to provide contact information if you are interested in participating in future studies.

WHAT ARE THE REASONS NOT TO VOLUNTEER FOR THIS STUDY?

Any information you share in this survey is confidential. No identifying information will be shared outside of the research team. While the confidentiality of your responses will be protected once the data are downloaded from the internet, there is always a possibility of hacking or other security breaches that could threaten the confidentiality of your responses. Please know that you are free to decide not to participate. To prevent unintentional re-enrollment in the survey, participant IP address will be collected by the research team.

DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE PART IN THIS STUDY?

You do not have to take part in this research. It is your choice whether or not you want to take part. You can agree to take part and later change your mind. If you choose not to take part or choose to stop taking part at any time, there will be no penalty to you.

WHAT IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?

The investigator in charge of this study is Dr. Andrew Meltzer. If you have questions, suggestions, or concerns regarding this study or you want to withdraw from the study, you can contact study leadership at: [email protected]

This research is being overseen by an Institutional Review Board ("IRB"). You may talk to them at 202-994-2715 or via email at [email protected]:

If you have questions, concerns, or complaints that are not being answered by the research team or if you wish to talk to someone independent of the research team.
If you have questions about your rights as a research subject.

By responding to the questions in this survey, you have agreed to participate in the research.

Your willingness to participate in this research study is implied if you proceed.

*Please keep a copy of this document in case you want to read it again.