• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Working with disabilties

sweetpea1

Greenlighter
I am 38 with one daughter. I have been unhealthy for quite sometime. I found solutions to get my health better and where it is today. I have a pain pump in that puts out dilaudid I have it down to 20 mg over 3-4 months and don't use all of that. I also take herbal supplements to help Tumeric, garlic and cinnamon to help with the pain and inflammation. After a nasty divorce, I am looking to better my life and find a way to do that. I am looking for a career that will not have a problem with that. I am afraid if I get drug tested they will see I am on pain meds. Another question is do I have to disclose my health issues and pain pump to an employer.

You don't have to disclose any health issues to your employers. However, employers are obligated to provide accommodations to employees with disabilities.

I don't know specifically what careers will and won't have an issue with your pain pump. It depends on the employer.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, sweetpea. I am not an expert on this particular subject so I will just tell you what I know.

First of all, as long as you have a doctor's prescription with your name on it, I am pretty sure a company cannot refuse hire based on a positive test result. That is, unless you are trying to become a nurse or an airline pilot. There are some industries that may not allow an employee to be on those types of meds so I would do some research prior to applying.

If you choose not to reveal your disability to a potential employer, that is your prerogative. If I were in your position, I would only tell them about the pain meds if I had to. Like I said, do some research before you start applying. Most companies brag about being equal opportunity employers so for an HR person to pass you up based on knowledge of your disability, that would be discrimination.

Do you mind sharing with us what ideas you have as far as what type of job you would like to pursue?

You don't have to disclose any health issues to your employers. However, employers are obligated to provide accommodations to employees with disabilities.

I don't know specifically what careers will and won't have an issue with your pain pump. It depends on the employer.

Looks like we're on the same page, Tude. I shouldn't be so wordy ;)

Lol you added detail which I wasn't quite able to do. I'm not the best with words :D

too many people put 1 post then disappear.
I was gonna ask you a question but you are nowhere to be found.

Last edited: