• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Withdrawals is this norm

sonicwhite

Bluelighter
Ok, so my maintenance dose is eight mg a day. Yesterday I gut the film in half because I was wanting to lower my dose. I know eventually I’ll have to come off of this. So I took like a total of five mg yesterday.

I go to fall asleep and during the middle of the night I was having panic attacks. Almost like a really messed up cold. Muscle pain. Fatigue. Just feeling off. I wake up this morning and took four mg again. I didn’t feel great but I could sleep. I had some really weird dreams also.

I’ve only been on bupe for four weeks. Are these normal withdrawal symptoms? Can symptoms already start only four weeks into it. I know I shouldn’t cut so much but I keep ready horror stories and just do not want to go down that road.

I think I just dropped way to fast but only been on it a month. Now I’m kinda reconsidering was it worth it.

I've never been through bupe wd, but what you described sounds like typical opioid WD symptoms.

I would ustfse to find more info on bupe wd. We should have plenty of previous posts on it.

I tried google and all I got where you can’t get withdrawals while in a taper on drug forum. Wulp that was just one buying argument. Lol. Anyways I took another half and feel ok but I would like to keep this open so I can hear other ppls reponses.

I'd say theyre right. If you've been putting 8mg under your tongue every day it builds up and up and up since the half life is 37 hours or so. So everyday more and more is accumulated. Switching to 4mg in a single dose will not have any difference whatsoever. I mean, you've been feeling fine until this lowered dosage but i think it's still a red herring. Your body is used to feeling a certain way, certain dose etc and a value is prescribed to '8mg bupe' but that doesn't mean you're not susceptible to things like the common cold, flu, etc. In fact id say that the bupe is perhaps masking some symptoms while letting others through, perhaps resulting in that "fucked up feeling" lets keep in mind that opiate wd and having a cold, altho they feel the same in some regards, have a wildly different mechanism of action. With a cold, the symptoms felt are from your immune system firing correctly to destroy the bug. With modified sub dose or sub wd, it's your immune system and other stuff being stifled to an extent it isn't firing in a regular manner, with the effects of the sub perhaps masking these symptoms. Be glad you have a script as this is the type of issue that really can wear a person down psychologically. Stay on 8mg, get as healthy as you can and then taper very very slowly.

Yes, you can definitely w/d from subs. The w/d from subs, methadone, and other long acting opiates are the worst ones. I have been on subs twice, and the Drs goal(at least where I live) is to keep you on it for ever. You are supposed to taper down 25% every week until you can’t make it any smaller. You are still going to have to put up with some w/d’s, that is unavoidable. But they will be much less severe. Good luck.

Lowering your dose by 4 mg in one day can cause physical withdrawal symptoms 24 hours later. It is true that buprenorphine builds up per the half life but you have to lower your dose by no more then a few mg every few days. Bupe is extremely strong and 4 mg of it is equal to at least 60 mg of oxycodone if not more. Take it slow in an outpatient setting when tapering. As a side note and not to be offensive but I find drugs forum to be extremely biased and lacking in experience from those who say don't live with their parents.

Last edited:
Wd from subs is worse then actual opiate. Which makes me wonder. Is it worth it? I think there are pros and cons to both sides of that question.
But ya that sounds like a typical we experience. And that is a big drop from 8 to 4 when you've been on them a month. Month doesn't sound like much and 8 ton4 doesn't sound like much but definitly enough time for the body to get adjusted to it physically.

I've never been through buprenorphine withdrawals, but what you're describing sounds extremely similar to what I experienced with both Xanax and alcohol W/Ds. Since opiates, benzos and alcohol are all anxiolytics/downers, I suspect you're mainly experiencing rebound anxiety and insomnia.

Yeah cutting your dose in half like that will cause withdrawal. Your probably a rapid metabolizer of bupe as well

Ok, so my maintenance dose is eight mg a day. Yesterday I gut the film in half because I was wanting to lower my dose. I know eventually I’ll have to come off of this. So I took like a total of five mg yesterday.

I go to fall asleep and during the middle of the night I was having panic attacks. Almost like a really messed up cold. Muscle pain. Fatigue. Just feeling off. I wake up this morning and took four mg again. I didn’t feel great but I could sleep. I had some really weird dreams also.

I’ve only been on bupe for four weeks. Are these normal withdrawal symptoms? Can symptoms already start only four weeks into it. I know I shouldn’t cut so much but I keep ready horror stories and just do not want to go down that road.

Before i answer id like to ask a few questions.

What is your current version of bupreneorphine medication i.e. tablets/films?
What is your preferred ROA before bupe?
What frequency do you administer bupe?
How do you administer your bupe?
What opiate/opioid where you previously on before bupe?