• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

William M. Fine, Who Helped Shape Drug Laws, Dies at 86

ro4eva

Bluelighter
...His biggest impact on history resulted from a dinner party conversation with Rockefeller in early 1972, according to Joseph E. Persico, a former Rockefeller aide, in his book “Imperial Rockefeller” (1982).

At that party, Mr. Persico wrote, Mr. Fine told Rockefeller that his son had been a drug addict and that he himself yearned to do something to fight addiction. He was already chairman of Phoenix House, a drug rehabilitation program.

Rockefeller suggested that Mr. Fine visit Japan, where there was very little addiction, and report to him. Rockefeller focused on one aspect of Mr. Fine’s report: Japan’s imposition of life sentences on drug dealers.

Mr. Fine praised the Japanese for being “willing to give up the soapbox movement on human rights in order to rid the public of the evil abuses of drugs.”

This hard-nosed approach appealed to the governor, who was receiving much mail questioning whether the civil liberties of criminals were taking precedence over the prosecution of drug dealers. Rockefeller had also expressed frustration that New York had spent more than $1 billion on drug treatment and education programs, with little apparent effect.

There was a political aspect to his stance as well. At another party, Mr. Fine had a conversation with Mr. Reagan, then the governor of California. Mr. Reagan — who like Rockefeller was considering a run for the presidency in 1976 — was intrigued to hear about Mr. Fine’s report and asked for a copy. Mr. Fine asked Rockefeller, who was also at the party, if he would mind sharing the report with Mr. Reagan. Rockefeller refused.

“This thunderbolt,” Mr. Persico wrote of Rockefeller, “was to be hurled by him.”

On May 8, 1973, Rockefeller signed legislation mandating minimum prison sentences of 15 years for selling two ounces or possessing four ounces of heroin, cocaine or marijuana. The legislation was the toughest in the country, and increased the state’s prison population 500 percent over the next 20 years.

In recent years, the so-called Rockefeller drug laws have been relaxed after it was determined that they did not decrease drug use and that they crowded prisons with small-time dealers and users, who are overwhelmingly minorities.

More - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/n...ics-laws-in-new-york-dies-at-86.html?src=recg

----------------------------------------------------

The reason I wanted to share this with others is because I'm glad that this guy has passed away. Why? Because it's people like him who played a part in the ridiculous, convoluted drug laws we still have today. And for this reason, it's also people like him who indirectly may have caused untold amounts of irreversible damage especially within minority and/or poor class Americans living in NY. If that makes me an insensitive prick, so be it.

Edit - Regardless of who he is, I cannot bring myself to disrespect another human being's life, and death. I believe that he loved his son and only wanted the best for him (just that he went the wrong way about it). Therefore, my sincere condolences to William's family, and may he rest in peace.

Last edited:
Japan doesnt have low drug use rates because they have harsh drug laws. They have a low over all crime rate. The shame of drugs and crime would bring on ones family probaby deters more people than the law. If you want to emulate Japan copy their strong families. Anyway they are not perfect with alcohol abuse being a big problem.

“willing to give up the soapbox movement on human rights in order to rid the public of the evil abuses of drugs.”

What in the actual fuck. Good riddance.

The reason I wanted to share this with others is because I'm glad that this guy has passed away. Why? Because it's people like him who played a part in the ridiculous, convoluted drug laws we still have today. And for this reason, it's also people like him who indirectly may have caused untold amounts of irreversible damage especially within minority and/or poor class Americans living in NY. If that makes me an insensitive prick, so be it.

IMO, this does not make you an insensitive prick, just smart. While I was reading the article I was thinking, "well isnt he lovely". It is good riddance, but the only problem is that today you may have gotten rid of one but you have a whole pack of new ones taking his place that have the ability to speak their minds and be heard by a much bigger audience and very quickly at that! (referring to media technology that is available today).

:X

Please see my post regarding: some docs and DEA want to limit opiate/opiod prescriptions to no more than 90 days and you will see what i mean about all the new assholes trying to make life harder for a lot of people. It is in the drugs in the media forum also.

Japan doesnt have low drug use rates because they have harsh drug laws. They have a low over all crime rate. The shame of drugs and crime would bring on ones family probaby deters more people than the law. If you want to emulate Japan copy their strong families. Anyway they are not perfect with alcohol abuse being a big problem.

Did you mean to put 'does' instead of 'doesn't'? I think that probably fits in better with what you are saying?

I was thinking about that a bit, and America seems to have harsh drug laws and it has relatively high drug use doesnt it? And say some places like Thailand and Indonesia have harsh laws but lots of drugs still there and addicts etc, so i'm not sure if it works out all the time, but I guess compared to the size of the population the use of drugs in all those places is relatively small? Then there's places like Singapore who also have very harsh laws for drugs and other things and apparently hardly any drugs or crime and much smaller amounts of users and addicts.

I may have misinterpreted you answer also.

Last edited:
^ I think my3rdeye brings up a good point. From what I've seen/read/heard - in Japan, one of the worst things you can do is to bring shame to your family. And anything which is considered taboo (recreational drugs being one example, but not booze or tobacco) is also considered shameful. I could be wrong though.