• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

William Gibson appreciation thread!!

simstim

Bluelighter
Who else has read all of William Gibson's novels and short stories? I read them all about 15 years while high on amphetamines.

My first introduction to his world was the film version of Johnny Mnemonic which was my favorite movie when it came out. I was like 10 years old. The soundtrack introduced me to a couple of my favorite bands kmfdm and Henry Rollins.

The book Neuromancer changed my life.

Anyway, my theory is that Gibson used to use a whole lot of drugs. His first few books, the sprawl series, heavily features the use of all kinds of drugs.

My cousin used to work at Microsoft and they had an on campus book signing that he met him at. He said he was sloppy.

In his newer novels one of the characters lost 10 years of memory due use of benzos. I wondered if Gibson didn't lose ten years for that reason too.

He did quit writing for a longtime and I find the style of his newer books to be slightly different.

Tell us about your William Gibson experience!?

If you've read William Gibson then you should get the reference from my username.

I am a SimStim Star. That's also my original username. My whole life is recorded for playback.

Last edited:
I’ve read a lot of Gibson, although not comprehensively. I think Neuromancer was absolutely incredible, and probably one of the best sci-fi books out there.
It would shock me to find out Gibson wasn’t a drug user.
I like some of his newer stuff like the Pattern Recognition/Spook Country/Zero History trilogy, although I think the editing could have been a little heavier in Zero History.

Thanks to little miss sunshine @cduggles , I read 'Neuromancer' a while back and it absolutely blew my mind. Every single page in that book was a treat. Every single sentence packed a punch. And admittedly, I fell in love with Molly. I haven't read the rest of the Sprawl series, but I've read 'Agency' and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No i stopped at the Blue Ant trilogy, i haven't even finish it, maybe i'll give it another try
Alright. I need to work through his catalogue. 'Agency' was good, but it didn't have shit on 'Neuromancer' to be honest. That book is in a class of it's own.