• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Will valium cause tolerance/dependence when taken in SOS cases?

azdvd

Greenlighter
Hello! First of all, I'm new so I'm hoping I'll adjust fine to the environment around here. I tried to look for a benzo section but I didn't find any, so if this is not on the forum it should be, I apologize. Also English is not my primary language, so I might write an error or two once in a while :p

Some background story: I'm not really into the drug business to be honest, I really like to get drunk with my friends at parties now and then, but other than that I never really tried anything "higher" than weed. I used to smoke cigarettes but I quit 2 months ago. Yet, about like one year ago, I got this massive I'm-about-to-die feeling that led me to the hospital, only to find out I was just fine and that I had a strong panic attack. It was right after smoking weed (the last time I smoked) and that was the moment when I realized drugs were not for me. Ever since that, I started getting them occasionally (also strongly influenced by some very crappy events in my professional/private life over the year), mostly before some important event or the day after heavy drinking, but also happening out of nowhere (e.g. when I'm driving). It can happen twice a day or I can go weeks without having none. I don't really know if it is Panic Disorder already, but sometimes it sure feels like it. Over the last year I think I took about 30-40 5mg Valium pills.

Anyway, I went to the doctor, and he prescribed me Diazepam 5mg to be taken orally only when I recognize I'm having a panic attack. Ever since that, I started using them specifically for that purpose, and it works great. It's total relief and I know exactly what to take when I'm having a panic attack (when I don't take a pill, I absolutely can't control them which results in hospital trips that end up with me popping a benzo anyway). But after extensive research I found out this belongs to a class of drugs which can become really addictive and cause this life-threatening withdrawal symptoms which I don't need to say I seriously want to avoid.

My question is: since I only take them to eliminate a panic attack, and never recreationally, should I worry I'll eventually develop some sort of tolerance/dependence to them or should I seek professional help so that I learn how to control them without the pills? Because so far things have been great, I have 2 pills with me all the time for emergency cases, they always have the same sedative effect and I never crave them. I just don't want to go on an addiction adventure because I'm already this nervous and paranoid type of person without that sort of thing.

I think I should ask you experts for your opinion. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Really just depends how often these panic attacks occur. If it's not that often, then you'll be fine.

It can't hurt to seek additional help to try and control your anxiety. There may be some underlying issues that need to be addressed.

But I think you'll be fine if you're not taking the valium too often.

If your panic attacks only happen occasionally, you'll be fine.

I've been managing a Valium prescription this way (only taking it for panic attacks, which happen less than monthly) for twelve years and I have no tolerance or dependency problems with the medication.