• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will Smoking Through My Nose Prevent a Dry Socket ??

lman_15

Bluelighter
I got 4 of my wisdom teeth out on Thursday around 11am. Its now Saturday 11:30pm so 2 and a half days later. I need to have a smoke and don't want to get dry sockets. I heard dry sockets are from making a sucking motion (aka smoking) which causes the blood clouts to come out and prevents the incision from recovering. If I were to smoke out of my nose which in turn would avoid the sucking motion would that prevent me getting a dry socket?

It's been a few days, as long as you're not applying massive suction (light inhales only) you'll be OK even smoking normally.

thanks for the quick reply its appreciated. now for my 1st smoke since surgery thank god!

I've heard of people attaching a straw that's a couple inches long to their cigarette and having that go to the back of your mouth, take a drag and then inhale through your nose. You get the smoke in your mouth, and then inhaling through your nose will clear the smoke without having to stick a goddamn lit cigarette in your nose and try to snort tobacco smoke which might make your eyes water and will definitely irritate the fuck out of your sinuses. Have you ever french inhaled? I can't imagine doing that with a whole cigarette.

Even without the straw, if you're going to smoke normally, take a drag then inhale through your nose so you're not sucking air past your incisions.

My ex had 2 wisdom teeth out, smoked 2 cigarettes 3 days after the procedure WITH inhaling very lightly but smoking normally and she had 2 dry sockets and the pain become much worse and took a couple weeks to heal and subside.

I've known some people who have had their wisdom teeth out and been smoking cannabis the next day, though others seem to take much longer. I guess it's personal variance? Maybe smokers' oral mucous membranes don't heal as fast.

Let us know how it went :)

I got my wisdom teeth out Thursday around 11am. I didn't smoke Thursday or Friday. I did have 1 cigarette Saturday night and smoked it normally and took incredibly light draws and smoked it slowly. Today (Sunday) I haven't smoked anything. My teeth feel fine and today I feel the best out of all the days since I got my teeth out. Tomorrow I'll probably have a cigarette or two and starting Tuesday I'm going to begin my normal smoking regime.

Opiate painkillers always make me crave cigarettes. I had an incredible urge to smoke when I had mine out, but opted not to, for fear of the dreaded dry socket. WTF, I got it anyhow, both lower extraction sites. Trust me when I say it is some serious pain. If you DO get dry socket, though, I highly suggest this: don't pay to go back to the dentist/surgeon to have them pack your extraction sites for you. Get what is called Red Cross toothache kit at Walgreens or comparable - under $10 - and pack them yourself. It's the same stuff they use in the office (eugenol - fancy word for diluted clove oil) for a lot less money. Good luck.

I've had teeth out 3 times, and each time smoked, pretty much as soon the bleeding stopped.
I've never had dry socket, so maybe I'm just lucky.
Personally, I think the risk of dry socket due to smoking is exaggerated.

It's the patient's home care within the first 24-48 hours that are the most crucial to avoiding a dry socket. Beyond 48 hours, the socket's fate is sealed.

There are circumstances out of the patient's control that can lead to a dry socket regardless of the precautions taken; the individual's body's ability to form/maintain the blood clot in a timely fashion (a dozen or more different anatomic/physiologic factors including the major factor of overall general health), as well as the size/shape/condition of the extraction site. These are reasons why even those who follow their post-op instructions (dont smoke), still get dry sockets... as well as those who DONT follow the instructions (smoke like a chimney) and still don't get a DS. That said, I've seen some of the gnarliest-looking extraction sites heal perfectly w/o DS but then a perfect, small extraction site in healthy individual get a DS and the soft tissue surrounding the site become necrotic and the patient be in pain for weeks.

That said, your chances increase dramatically of everything being fine if you don't smoke for 24 hours, and increase dramatically more if you abstain for an additional 24 after that.
48 hours without a smoke (feel free to use nicotine supplements all you like) is well worth avoiding the severe pain with a DS. You thought the tooth pain was bad? Ask someone who's had a DS.

Someone mentioned buying eugenol from the store. It's worth a shot if you really need to avoid the Dentist. Im a dental student, and at the school - we provide dry socket treatment free of charge. So, dont hesitate to call your Dentist to see if you'll get the same.
Your best option is to see the Dentist to make sure there isn't an infection that requires antibiotics, or any shards of sharp bone that need to be smoothed that may be prolonging the healing process. While we do use Eugenol soaked ribbons and paste, we also clean out the socket with an antiseptic called Chlorohexidine and sterile water, as most often opportunistic bacteria get trapped down there w/o a good way for the body to flush the area out otherwise. We also are able to place the paste and eugenol ribbons more ideally, sometimes requring sutures to hold them in place. generally a return trip to the dentist for this will also yield in another opioid prescription, usually bumped up in strength (at school this means if we sent them home with vicodin, they then get percocet)

Anyway... this is all why I choose to suture my extraction sites up if the tissue allows. It's no guarantee, but it helps seal the socket up and protect it from patients negligence and promote healing. this isnt always necessary, and usually is not in simple extractions - however if I had one extracted, I'd request it to be sutured. they dissolve on their own in a few days.

for those who don't know, a dry socket is the result when a blood clot does not form properly in a tooth socket following extraction. this can happen from disturbance of the area due to vacuum created during smoking, spitting, swishing, and sucking (straws). hot food/beverages and carbonation can also disturb the area.

i realise none of this was rocket science, but hope its informative.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear about my personal experience. ReversablePulputis is correct - what I suggested should not be substituted for professional dental care. I was just throwing a poor man's option out there. I was foolish and had my teeth done in the weathiest community in the state I live in. I was reassured that medical/dental insurance would pick up a good portion of my bill. This was only partially correct, and I was stuck with a $1600 out-of-pocket bill. Of course when I got the dry socket, I did not know what the final bill would be, and they charged me a $260 office visit to pack my dry sockets. If you can get the service done for free, plus some perc's to go with it, by all means do it. I wish I would have been smarter and researched the dental school here (which I am assuming is probably top notch since it's a very reputable university), but I wanted my teeth out ASAP and I wanted to be knocked out for it.

You should be fine have a smoke. I remember my girl got hers out and we were stoked cause they gave her norcos 10/325. It's funny I say we got them, I never had mine out. She did share though.
She can controll the cigs ok, I'm not going to able to when the time comes haha.
We each took two norcos right after she got home. And all she could think about was a bowl. I did a lot of research and found some people smoke weed right after.

She would smoke weed out of a tiny bowl drinking excessive ice water between every hit. She smoked a puff or two of a cig that day as well, she was fine never had an issue.

Another friend smoked cigs and weed an ended up with nasty infections and blood pouring out his mouth. He had to go to the hosital. Just make sure you keep your mouth really moist.

:)

I smoked both weed and cigs normally after getting a molar pulled and I ended up okay. Just don't inhale too hard.

I admit I didn't read all of this, but the best way to prevent dry sockets, if you absolutely feel like you must smoke something, is wetting a teabag or even some gauze and placing it in your mouth over the wounds and biting down on it. It products the wounds from any of the stuff in the smoke and doesn't hinder healing either. I don't have a source, but was told this when getting wisdom teeth and then a molar pulled, so i figure it's worth putting it out there.

^That makes sense Purple cloud, due to the tannins in tea having a (albeit mild) antibacterial action, and the actual physical presence of both a barrier and moisture on the site :)
It's diffrent strokes for different folks really... some will be fine others not...
I got home from x4 wisdom extraction (in the chair guys... IN THE CHAIR!!!) and once I could keep food down (12-18 hours later) had a ciggy and a bong... all good...
had a couple of ciggies and bongs every day following and no worries thankfully!
The best thing that the oral surgeon bloke gave me was a bent/pointry ended syringe with which to very gently flush the socket areas with warm salty water if I felt that there was food stuck in there after eating... can't recommend highly enough.

All the best with recovery :D

HA! this brought me back to my wisdom tooth extraction.. intranasal gravity bong hits...eesh.

This is coming straight from my sassy, attractive dentist. She looked me in the eye and said. Your going to smoke once you walk out this door aren't you. I said no but won't make it a week that's for sure. She said ok. If you really really need to, I'd prefer you didn't just to be safe but if you neeeeeeed to the wet some gauze, bite down on it and smoke slow and light. No heavy suction or you'll pull the clot right out of the hole. That was on my first extraction. Top right had no problem. Did what she said and I was fine. This time I've had two out. Top left bottom left so I've waited abit longer to try the smoking safely trick ( over 48 hours). But its getting to point ill cut someonme from nicing out so its worth a shot. Ill let ya's know if it works out or not

I took bong rips 6 hours after getting my wisdom teeth extracted with ky jelly thank god I didn't get a dry socket! Inhale as light as possible

Help

Hello! So I am a cigarette smoker as well as cannabis but I'm curious as to if I can smoke if I inhale very lightly, I've done the gauze thing and it makes me want to puke lol. I got all four wisdom teeth removed yesterday at 1 pm its now 11 pm the next day and I'm like going through withdrawal, any suggestions?