• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will PST help with Oxy withdrawal?

Adinrob

Greenlighter
I've been on a pain management regimen for years now. My insurance changed the brand of oxys they cover to the new xtampza, and my pharmacy had to order it. I was supposed to get my script Monday, so I'm on day 5 without it. I'm sick as hell and cannot sleep. Will PST help me get through until the pharmacy gets my meds in? I don't have time to order, but we have a Sprouts here, can you still get decent seeds there?

poppy seed tea will help, if not completely relieve your withdrawals. I am not familiar with stores in your area but general rule of thumb the 'dirtier' the seeds are the better. If there is sticks and twigs in them thats a good sign.

IME any seeds will work... but lots of people say thats not the case. Probably depends a lot on where you live.

I don’t know about PST, but I do know that clonodine can help withdrawals. If your prescriber knows you are out, they would surely call some in for you. Zofran, loperamide, Benadryl, ambien may help. I’m sorry you are going through this. Remember, with Xtampza you have to eat a high fat meal in order to absorb the med. My insurance did the same thing. I hated it, gained 15 pounds. Im not sure how sick you are, but try and keep down a tablespoon of fluids every 15 minutes.

I know I am posting this late in the game, but perhaps his info could help someone else down the road:

Yes it will, but "boxes" (orange flavored strips resembling a Listerine breath freshener) will solve your problem in 45 minutes or so. A quarter of a strips is plenty for this purpose. Use them with extreme caution though and only for a short period of time since they are very addictive as much as "Oxy".

The naloxone (sp?) that is in with the "bupe" will block the meds from the pharmacy for a couple of days, but it is better than being sick like this.

Most states have facilities one can go to w/o appointment, cash only, usually about 150 bucks for a weeks supply. If you are taking "benzos", they may refuse to prescribe you "boxes" due to potential respiratory problems which can occur using either or both "boxes" and "benzos" together.

If it has been five days, the worst part may be over, a lot of the worst w/d peaks in the first 72 hours.

Last edited:
Did you end up drinking it? If so, did it keep you from getting sick?

If you were in wd for 5 days due to this, a different doctor/pharmacy might be a good idea. I find it pretty horrifying that a doc would give someone a script for oxy and then when they're insurance changes, not even give them a different medication to get them through the 5 days thus forcing their patient to go through agonizing withdrawal symptoms.

Poppy seed tea would keep withdrawal from oxy or any opiate at bay. It might even be quite strong depending on the potency of the seeds, the dose, and your tolerance. The seeds contain morphine, so it's actually fairly potent from what I have heard. If I were ever on opiates and it was either withdrawal or drinking the tea, I would most likely drink the tea as well.

However, the downside of poppy tea is that you don't know how much morphine is in the seeds. Therefore, you could drink too much and od on it. People have actually overdosed on it because of this. If you ever end up needing to drink PST, start with a small amount and work your way up rather than drinking a lot of it at once.