• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Will my Dr be ok with switching me to Xanax?

Swallowin_Klonopin

Greenlighter
I've been on Klonopin (clonazepam, because my pockets aren't that deep) for a little over a year now and only take it as required for my panic attacks. I will take usually 1-2 (1mg) tablets per WEEK, so I'm not taking much. In fact my doctor only prescribes me 8 (1mg) tablets per month.

I've just noticed that clonazepam doesn't kick in very fast (about an hour) if taken orally, (about 30 mins) if taken sublingually.

Do you think if I express this to my doctor and tell her I've read online that Xanax kicks in faster, that she's be willing to give it a try?

I just want quicker relief from these attacks... I JUST had one, it was horrible.

Cheers!

It sounds like your doctor should be receptive to it. They might give you less overall, but if it's more effective than that could work.

It all depends on your doctor.

I know my doctor would cause he's really cool and already said he would, but I prefer Klonopin.

Well, actually, I don't know if I prefer Klonopin cause I've never taken Xanax, but Klonopin works for what I need it for so there's no need for anything else.

If he/she won't, I'm sure there's a doctor that will if you are willing to look.

should be good, don't really know what to add besides they might try to throw some intermediate length ones into the mix first. I had to try the whole neighborhood of benzos out before my doctor gave xanax to me way back in the day.

Alprazolam was pretty much made for panic attacks due to its fast come-up and fairly short half-life (whereas clonazepam is fairly long-lasting). Asking to be switched to xanax is a perfectly reasonable request.

Does anyone have suggestions how I should bring this up to my Dr? Should I tell her I've done research and found that Xanax might be better for my situation, or should I tell her I'd like the Klonopin to kick in faster, and ask her, "have any ideas?"

Cheers!

I would think the fact that you take so few should really work in your favor. Just make sure you don't all of a sudden start doubling or tripling your usage and you should be fine IMO. Good luck!

I would think the fact that you take so few should really work in your favor. Just make sure you don't all of a sudden start doubling or tripling your usage and you should be fine IMO. Good luck!
That's what I'm thinking. Any suggestion how to ask her? I always worry about sounding TOO informed and don't know if it's best to let the Dr think she came to Xanax on her own.

Cheers!

That's what I'm thinking. Any suggestion how to ask her? I always worry about sounding TOO informed and don't know if it's best to let the Dr think she came to Xanax on her own.

I don't think there is any reason to think you'd have to "manipulate" her here.

Anyone suffering from panic attacks would want their meds to take effect as quickly as possible; this is a perfectly reasonable matter to bring up with your psychiatrist.

Xanax pretty much being the "gold standard" for panic attacks isn't exactly secret esoteric knowledge. No doctor would be surprised that most of your fellow anxiety patients on- or off-line would give you the same recommendation.

Lastly, clonazepam is a fairly long-lasting drug. If you have a panic attack in the evening, you might not want to be affected by a slight residual sedation the following morning. Alprazolam, on the other hand, is much shorter-lasting. That said, it is possible that she scripted you the clonazepam for this very reason, so that you wouldn't be suffering from secondary panic attacks if the xanax wears off too quickly. Nevertheless, it might be worth a shot to see if it works better for you.

I don't think there is any reason to believe she'd flag you a drug-seeker just for asking this question, unless you came into her office wearing grills and rainbow dreadlocks and started mumbling about "gucci gangs" ;)

I don't think there is any reason to think you'd have to "manipulate" her here.

Anyone suffering from panic attacks would want their meds to take effect as quickly as possible; this is a perfectly reasonable matter to bring up with your psychiatrist.

Xanax pretty much being the "gold standard" for panic attacks isn't exactly secret esoteric knowledge. No doctor would be surprised that most of your fellow anxiety patients on- or off-line would give you the same recommendation.

Lastly, clonazepam is a fairly long-lasting drug. If you have a panic attack in the evening, you might not want to be affected by a slight residual sedation the following morning. Alprazolam, on the other hand, is much shorter-lasting. That said, it is possible that she scripted you the clonazepam for this very reason, so that you wouldn't be suffering from secondary panic attacks if the xanax wears off too quickly. Nevertheless, it might be worth a shot to see if it works better for you.

I don't think there is any reason to believe she'd flag you a drug-seeker just for asking this question, unless you came into her office wearing grills and rainbow dreadlocks and started mumbling about "gucci gangs" ;)
Bahaha! Thank you very much for the answer. This is what I was hoping.

I don't think she'll think I'm trying to manipulate her, I just know that Xanax has such a stigma about it.

I'm actually going in for my check-up in 2 1/2 hours. I'll report back how it all goes.

Cheers!

Your doctor will probably say no. Only 8 a month, rough.

Honestly, Xanax takes about an hour to kick in too. Sometimes it seems quicker but it’s not phenomenally quick.

The bars are bitter so sublingual isn’t an option.

Sorry.

My opinion would be to rather go for Bromazepam as it has a faster onset if taken under the tongue and taste delicious (okay maybe an exaggerations but they very pleasant) plus they also an intermediate acting benzo too.

LOL and no im not just promoting bromazepam because i like it so much

My opinion would be to rather go for Bromazepam as it has a faster onset if taken under the tongue and taste delicious (okay maybe an exaggerations but they very pleasant) plus they also an intermediate acting benzo too.

LOL and no im not just promoting bromazepam because i like it so much

They don't prescribe bromazepam in the US.

Just got out of the Dr office and she was talking about taking me off my Klonopin as soon as she came in the room.... I basically had to beg her to keep my measly 8/month (it was kind of embarrassing)... I didn't want to rock the boat and ask for a different benzo. Sigh

Have you tried the klonopin sublingually? It might help the onset come on a little quicker.