• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will klonopin have worse withdrawals than xanax or the same?

lifeisflyingaway

Ex-Bluelighter
Been prescribed 0.5 klonopin twice a day, but haven't been taking it everyday because of the fear of "never feeling normal" again after I stop taking them. However i must say i have been taking them 4-5 times a week no more than 2mg at a time, as i have previously stated in another thread i am seeing my psychiatrist at the end of the month, and have the option to try and bump up the klonopin (probably to 1mg twice a day instead of 0.5 twice a day), or i can give xanax a try. I personally experience all day anxiety relief from xanax when i take it since i don't do it all the time, and it removes anxiety more than the klonopin. The klonopin is a lot more subtle i'd say it removes 50% of my anxiety, whereas xanax does 80%. However i do not completely trust myself if i was to get xanax, because i wouldn't want to get off my schedule and take it more than suppose to. Plus i have heard horror stories about xanax more than any other benzos although they all have similar withdrawal symptoms. So my question is klonopin less physically addicting than xanax?, and have even atleast a slight bit less withdrawal symptoms? Or is it completely the same? I really want to get xanax, but i can see myself taking them a bit more than a few times per week, and don't want to experience "rebound anxiety" which i have not yet experienced with the klonopins. Thanks for the replies.

Taking any benzo on a regular long term basis is playing with fire IMO. I have only taken Klonopin on a couple occasions in my life but I went through a nasty Xanax withdrawal. It took me almost 8 months to taper off. Then another 6 months to feel like I might be normal again. If you don't trust youourself that should tell you something. If you feel you must use benzos for anxiety I would stick to the K's and take as low a dose as possible as few times a week as you can. Best wishes.

Been prescribed 0.5 klonopin twice a day, but haven't been taking it everyday because of the fear of "never feeling normal" again after I stop taking them. However i must say i have been taking them 4-5 times a week no more than 2mg at a time, as i have previously stated in another thread i am seeing my psychiatrist at the end of the month, and have the option to try and bump up the klonopin (probably to 1mg twice a day instead of 0.5 twice a day), or i can give xanax a try. I personally experience all day anxiety relief from xanax when i take it since i don't do it all the time, and it removes anxiety more than the klonopin. The klonopin is a lot more subtle i'd say it removes 50% of my anxiety, whereas xanax does 80%. However i do not completely trust myself if i was to get xanax, because i wouldn't want to get off my schedule and take it more than suppose to. Plus i have heard horror stories about xanax more than any other benzos although they all have similar withdrawal symptoms. So my question is klonopin less physically addicting than xanax?, and have even atleast a slight bit less withdrawal symptoms? Or is it completely the same? I really want to get xanax, but i can see myself taking them a bit more than a few times per week, and don't want to experience "rebound anxiety" which i have not yet experienced with the klonopins. Thanks for the replies.
Personally Clonazepam was a useless Benzo for me, but that's not to say that it doesn;t work very effectively for others. Whereas Alprazolam was extremely effective for me. yet the withdrawals were nothing short of hell on earth! Due to it's shorter half-life Alprazolam withdrawals will be far more intense but last for a shorter amount of time. Clonazepam withdrawals will probably be no walk in the park but they may be less intense but last for a longer period of time due to it's longer half life. If you must take a Benzo then Diazepam may be your best bet.

Taking any benzo on a regular long term basis is playing with fire IMO. I have only taken Klonopin on a couple occasions in my life but I went through a nasty Xanax withdrawal. It took me almost 8 months to taper off. Then another 6 months to feel like I might be normal again. If you don't trust youourself that should tell you something. If you feel you must use benzos for anxiety I would stick to the K's and take as low a dose as possible as few times a week as you can. Best wishes.
QFT.

When I was addicted to Xanax and was put on a benzo taper plan xanax wasn't available as we don't have it in the UK, so I was put on a high dose of clonazepam, which was then slowly reduced before switching on to diazepam, again slowly reducing until I was off. That took a year to do, but it got me off a 4-5 year habit, so was worth it. I still had anxiety problems for months afterwards, but that's what happens when you take the easy way out of dealing with your anxiety by popping xanax for so long.

probably xanax because of the short half life.

short half life (xanax)= intense withdrawal, but short.

long halflife (klonopin)= not as intense, but longer...

Using benzos and avoiding physical dependence/addiction (very important thread)

I just posted something and i don't see it, and now my thoughts are all scrambled so i have to try to write this again.
I am prescribed 0.5 klonopin twice a day, and it will probably increase if i want it to on my next visit. The psychiatrist said we can switch it to shorter acting ones, such as xanax and ativan if the klonopin is not helping. A lot of people said take the klonopin over the other benzos, but after much research for HOURS i realized that klonopin is NOT suppose to be used as prn, and only helps if you want to be on it long term since it has a real half life. I do NOT want to be on any benzo including klonopin long term because i don't want it to make my life even worse in the end, than i already feel it may be. I have heard all about benzo dependence and withdrawals and how they are far worse than meth, anti-depressants, cocaine, and even heroin! So i do not want to make my anxiety all worse than it already is. Even if taking klonopin has a PRN upto 3 days a week, it stays in your system for a while so it can be in their for the entire 7 days, which will create dependence and physical addiction without even taking it daily. Am i correct?

Now with the shorter acting benzos (xanax, ativan) it is in and out pretty quick. They are not the best for long term because of its short half life, and people having to redose or go into withdrawals quickly. However for me, in my experiences when i had taken xanax or ativan around 2mg's or more, my anxiety was completely gone for the ENTIRE day. Probably because i was not taking it all the time, and had no tolerance to it from taking it a few times a week. My only concern is (and i am proud of myself to even consider this) is that, i am going to find myself taking more of the xanax/ativan than initially intended which is 3 times a week. The next day after i'll be back to my normal anxious self which can be bearable and sometimes it cannot. If something really bad happened the days i am not suppose to take any, than slowly a physical addiction will build. 3 times a week, can be in the clear zone i believe because i had done that before without withdrawals or dependence. (My medications are controlled by a family member) So if i am getting 3 0.5 xanax's a day, i should be saving them up and using them on seperate days and only 3 days out of the whole week. However it being in my possession, and if i am not feeling all too well on a certain day i might be tempted to take it again, which is what i FEAR. It may not happen, or it might i'm not sure but i'm trying to mentally plan it out, because the aim is to defeat anxiety, atleast for some of the days and have a small bit of peace.

----Those are two issues, i don't want to be dependent on klonopin (taking it as prescribed), and the other issue is concern over if i will take the xanax/ativan more than 3 times a week. Honestly it makes me angry, that these anxiety relieving medications are worse in the long run than street drugs but yet work miracles for anxiety sufferers. I don't want to be like many of you who have permanently been damaged by benzos, even if taken as prescribed. I couldn't imagine having more anxiety in the long run with a long list of other side effects from benzos, i probably would kill myself literally.

-I didn't think i would be worrying so much over all this, i was just so happy i found a psychiatrist who understands me in and out and prescribed me benzos, since i've tried a list of so much shit, and already being on gabapentin, seroquel xr, and now something called vibryd. But what can i say, it's a part of my anxiety to over analyze especially a situation like this. I feel like if i got prescribed temezapam which he probably wouldn't do, that i could better stick to my 3 day regime. I would already be at risk taking a benzo 3 times a week, and maybe i could do it for awhile but it's very possible i'll give in and just take them like normal and boom *addicted* something i've never been, and something i cannot imagine it's just too much, i have enough issues sober.

-I really don't know what to do, i'm also coming off meth (something i haven't done in almost two years) so maybe that plays a role, but what i'm worrying about and writing about isn't a stupid worry or something i'm just being over dramatic about, it's actually really serious. I never thought i would say this but i wish he prescribed me 12 xanax bars a month, 3 to take every week. But instead i'll probably get 90 pills but at a much lower dosage. I need like 1.5mg xanax to feel the relief and anxiety being gone (i'm talking with no tolerance) and for ativan, i can deal with 2mg. But he is probably gonna prescribe these 0.5's and having so many pills in my posession on the days i'm not suppose to take them, might be hard. I am terribly confused, this is a very complex situation and one wrong mistake could permanently change things. I cannot function without zero benzos which is why i went to this new psychiatrist, but i also CANNOT fall into the realm of addiction or dependence. I'm not even talking about popping 6 xanax's, i would refuse to even take them 0.5 3x a day. I don't want DEPENDENCE ON THEM. It's 5 in the morning and this shit and whole conversation is freaking me out. I need to fall asleep and hopefully be a bit less worried about this, even though it is something serious i must figure out. I know you bluelighters, have more experience so feel free to give opinions after carefully reading the thread even though it's long. Just don't say, don't take any benzos. Been doing that for 21 years, can't handle it anymore. Kind advice please? I'm totally fucking confused.

Klonopin creates more withdrawals than xanax on a per needed basis

I just posted something and i don't see it, and now my thoughts are all scrambled so i have to try to write this again.
I am prescribed 0.5 klonopin twice a day, and it will probably increase if i want it to on my next visit. The psychiatrist said we can switch it to shorter acting ones, such as xanax and ativan if the klonopin is not helping. A lot of people said take the klonopin over the other benzos, but after much research for HOURS i realized that klonopin is NOT suppose to be used as prn, and only helps if you want to be on it long term since it has a real half life. I do NOT want to be on any benzo including klonopin long term because i don't want it to make my life even worse in the end, than i already feel it may be. I have heard all about benzo dependence and withdrawals and how they are far worse than meth, anti-depressants, cocaine, and even heroin! So i do not want to make my anxiety all worse than it already is. Even if taking klonopin has a PRN upto 3 days a week, it stays in your system for a while so it can be in their for the entire 7 days, which will create dependence and physical addiction without even taking it daily. Am i correct?

Now with the shorter acting benzos (xanax, ativan) it is in and out pretty quick. They are not the best for long term because of its short half life, and people having to redose or go into withdrawals quickly. However for me, in my experiences when i had taken xanax or ativan around 2mg's or more, my anxiety was completely gone for the ENTIRE day. Probably because i was not taking it all the time, and had no tolerance to it from taking it a few times a week. My only concern is (and i am proud of myself to even consider this) is that, i am going to find myself taking more of the xanax/ativan than initially intended which is 3 times a week. The next day after i'll be back to my normal anxious self which can be bearable and sometimes it cannot. If something really bad happened the days i am not suppose to take any, than slowly a physical addiction will build. 3 times a week, can be in the clear zone i believe because i had done that before without withdrawals or dependence. (My medications are controlled by a family member) So if i am getting 3 0.5 xanax's a day, i should be saving them up and using them on seperate days and only 3 days out of the whole week. However it being in my possession, and if i am not feeling all too well on a certain day i might be tempted to take it again, which is what i FEAR. It may not happen, or it might i'm not sure but i'm trying to mentally plan it out, because the aim is to defeat anxiety, atleast for some of the days and have a small bit of peace.

----Those are two issues, i don't want to be dependent on klonopin (taking it as prescribed), and the other issue is concern over if i will take the xanax/ativan more than 3 times a week. Honestly it makes me angry, that these anxiety relieving medications are worse in the long run than street drugs but yet work miracles for anxiety sufferers. I don't want to be like many of you who have permanently been damaged by benzos, even if taken as prescribed. I couldn't imagine having more anxiety in the long run with a long list of other side effects from benzos, i probably would kill myself literally.

-I didn't think i would be worrying so much over all this, i was just so happy i found a psychiatrist who understands me in and out and prescribed me benzos, since i've tried a list of so much shit, and already being on gabapentin, seroquel xr, and now something called vibryd. But what can i say, it's a part of my anxiety to over analyze especially a situation like this. I feel like if i got prescribed temezapam which he probably wouldn't do, that i could better stick to my 3 day regime. I would already be at risk taking a benzo 3 times a week, and maybe i could do it for awhile but it's very possible i'll give in and just take them like normal and boom *addicted* something i've never been, and something i cannot imagine it's just too much, i have enough issues sober.

-I really don't know what to do, i'm also coming off meth (something i haven't done in almost two years) so maybe that plays a role, but what i'm worrying about and writing about isn't a stupid worry or something i'm just being over dramatic about, it's actually really serious. I never thought i would say this but i wish he prescribed me 12 xanax bars a month, 3 to take every week. But instead i'll probably get 90 pills but at a much lower dosage. I need like 1.5mg xanax to feel the relief and anxiety being gone (i'm talking with no tolerance) and for ativan, i can deal with 2mg. But he is probably gonna prescribe these 0.5's and having so many pills in my posession on the days i'm not suppose to take them, might be hard. I am terribly confused, this is a very complex situation and one wrong mistake could permanently change things. I cannot function without zero benzos which is why i went to this new psychiatrist, but i also CANNOT fall into the realm of addiction or dependence. I'm not even talking about popping 6 xanax's, i would refuse to even take them 0.5 3x a day. I don't want DEPENDENCE ON THEM. It's 5 in the morning and this shit and whole conversation is freaking me out. I need to fall asleep and hopefully be a bit less worried about this, even though it is something serious i must figure out. I know you bluelighters, have more experience so feel free to give opinions after carefully reading the thread even though it's long. Just don't say, don't take any benzos. Been doing that for 21 years, can't handle it anymore. Kind advice please? I'm totally fucking confused.

If you take benzos on an as-needed basis, and they are only needed a few times a week, you shouldn't be going through withdrawals at all. Just my 2 cents.

I concur. Even clonazepam, with its long half life, shouldn't be a huge deal if taken 3x/wk. Can you trust yourself not to abuse it or even need it more often?

Listen man. I've merged these three threads for you. You've had 3-5 threads on pretty much the same subject which is xanax vs klonopin. Please don't create multiple threads if you don't need to. If one thread is about their sedative properties, and the other about their withdrawals, then fine by me. But if 4 threads are about the withdrawals of the same benzodiazepines, that's a bit excessive.

Thanks.

I'd like to bump this thread. I've been on Klonopin 2mg, 2x daily for almost 4 years (prescribed). I'm wanting to come off it as my husband and I want to have a baby and I know you can't take benzo's while pregnant. My question is, what is easier to come off of in terms of WD's, Xanax or Klonopin? I know all benzo's are especially tough to get off of...however, I took Xanax when I was in college for about 5 years and I cold turkey quit those. I remember having WD's, but they weren't unbearable. Now if I go a few days without at least taking one of my 2mg Klonopin, I get extreme WD symptoms. Was thinking of talking to my Dr and seeing which one is easier to come off of? Should I have him switch me to Xanax? Anybody with experience with this?

I'd like to bump this thread. I've been on Klonopin 2mg, 2x daily for almost 4 years (prescribed). I'm wanting to come off it as my husband and I want to have a baby and I know you can't take benzo's while pregnant. My question is, what is easier to come off of in terms of WD's, Xanax or Klonopin? I know all benzo's are especially tough to get off of...however, I took Xanax when I was in college for about 5 years and I cold turkey quit those. I remember having WD's, but they weren't unbearable. Now if I go a few days without at least taking one of my 2mg Klonopin, I get extreme WD symptoms. Was thinking of talking to my Dr and seeing which one is easier to come off of? Should I have him switch me to Xanax? Anybody with experience with this?
I'd say Diazepam (Valium) is the Benzo of choice for withdrawal, or possibly Clonazepam (Klonopin)

Just go to ur Dr . everytime that I try to change a benzo to another or something like this symptoms got fucked up real bad and I ended up taking a lot of benzo and at the sametime . but Maybe that's just me , bcos I'm an addict to benzo .

I'd say that is because they differ so much in their mechanism of action. You can't stop Xanax and take an equivalent dose valium without withdrawal. It will be much more manageable, but it will still be tough because the Xanax has much different effects than the valium. Unless your dose is pretty low, like 1 mg or less a day(I'm just Xanax to valium as an example because its a common tapering technique). Valium is usually the benzo the taper. Typpcially if you were on Xanax or klnopin you'd start to slowly switch over to valium.

The look at this site, it is the Ashton Manual for tapering benzos, it was created by some Dr and it supposively is a very smooth taper method.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm