• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Will Ketamine interact with SSRIs?

Lalaland95

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I have been following this website for quite a while and recently decided to join.
I have a quick question regarding an interaction between Ketamine and SSRIs (10mg of Escitalopram).
If one wanted to go to a festival and continue using SSRIs on daily basis, would Ketamine be safe to take and not experience a serotonin syndrome for example?From the research I've conducted, it seems like a safe drug of choice to mix. However a friend of mine said it's a definite no go. Confused and in need of advice, I hope the members of Bluelight can shed some light on me. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Lalaland95

Ketamine acts on the serotonergic system, and more generally to inhibit monoamine reuptake... but rather mildly. It definitely isn't the SRI that DXM is which makes it very dangerous.

It should be relatively safe at moderate dosages, but if you were to take a whole lot of it and with a lot of other drugs combined, it may start getting involved problematically. If only because of enzymatic inhibition where high levels of one drug prevent proper metabolism of others.

Others have combined this (including my best friend) and were okay, but trying this the first time at a festival is not particularly wise - so if you do this I would take it easy and make sure that you and your friends know where the emergency post is.

Thank you for the response man! It is not my first time taking the drug and if the opportunity comes it will be the only drug in my system, taking only couple of bumps at a time. I will be looking out for my safety of course but the thing I am little worried about i the purity of it. Do people usually mix ket with other substances just like with coke etc?