• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Will I feel fine being off subs eventually?

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
Hello BL Fam,

I’m currently at 2mg/day bupe/subs. My goal is to eventually get off of it so that I’m no longer a slave to pharma. I was asked to start tapering down to 1mg then to half it again then again. My question is, currently I get a good energy/dopamine boost lasting most of my day allowing me to be very productive. If I eventually jump off, will I experience decent energy or natural dopamine release or that’s not your experience?
I also feel that Bupe helps with my depression, however I can’t be certain and it may just be placebo/psycho sematic. What do you with mild depression feel when off Bupe? Thanks.

You will need something to make the transition smooth, like valerian root or a benzodiazepine at a low dose. Coming off bupe will feel odd and probably cause some depression / lack of productivity. Make sure your diet and sleeping patterns are healthy or it will feel even worse. Meditation and yoga are good low-energy practices you can use to lessen the negative effects. Think about finding new ways to cope with not having bupe around when you used to rely on it. It may be trickier than you think, but probably not too bad.

Hello BL Fam,

I’m currently at 2mg/day bupe/subs. My goal is to eventually get off of it so that I’m no longer a slave to pharma. I was asked to start tapering down to 1mg then to half it again then again. My question is, currently I get a good energy/dopamine boost lasting most of my day allowing me to be very productive. If I eventually jump off, will I experience decent energy or natural dopamine release or that’s not your experience?
I also feel that Bupe helps with my depression, however I can’t be certain and it may just be placebo/psycho sematic. What do you with mild depression feel when off Bupe? Thanks.
I think you will be fine. I realize that there is a lot going on biologically when coming off bupe, BUT what I find that a lot of it is mind over matter tbh. A lot of the withdrawal I believe is placebo and I do understand there is actual evidence of physical withdrawal going on but I’m just saying that a lot of that withdrawal can be mitigated by not reading into people’s horror stories and feeding into your fear of being uncomfortable/depressed.

Certainly some people do experience severe withdrawals from it but I was on sub maintenance for 5 years at 16 mg a day, went to 8 mg a day, and then 4 mg a day, and then I jumped off CT and get this no lie I had zero withdrawals.

Subs are a long acting long half life medication as I’m sure you are aware so yeah if you get withdrawals they tend to last longer BUT because it is long acting I believe that the withdrawal is less intense for most ppl than say heroin. But that’s just my theory so please take that with a grain of salt. It’s the best I could come up with for trying to figure out how I had zero withdrawal.

And for those of you that know I take kratom now, I do. BUT I didn’t start taking kratom until about 11-12 months after quitting suboxone cold turkey. And I didn’t start taking stimulants which I used kratom to get off of them until 3 months before I started kratom so what I’m saying is that it’s not that I was self medicating with other substances either. I was clean during that time, completely.

I guess what I am trying to emphasize here is that a lot of the withdrawal I believe is mind over matter and it’s like placebo in the opposite direction. People believe they will have severe withdrawal and then psychosomaticly cause those symptoms. Just my theory.

I’m not saying you won’t get withdrawals jumping off at 16mg or something but I think you will be fine when you jump off at .5mg or lower no issues. And also, what @Noodle473 was saying about yoga and exercise is very true. You can modify your dopamine by adding things like yoga or even just going on 20 minute walks in nature or any other exercise. Yoga works great tho because it has a lot of mindfulness and strenuous exercise works great too because more dopamine is released.

Also, it’s scientifically proven that getting 20 minutes of sunlight in your eyes (not staring at the sun though) triggers dopamine.

This guy is a nueroscientist that is a professor at I think it’s Harvard. One of those schools like that. Here is a video about dopamine

Here is the notes for managing dopamine:

It’s really interesting and if you don’t feel like watching the full podcast this note section should cover all the highlights.

Best of luck man.

Last edited:
Well it depends how long you were on bupe. If only for short you might get by almost without WDs and in fact feel better than while you were on it in a matter of weeks or months. If you were for a long time on it, well in that case it can go either way. Some find minimal problems tapering down and stopping while other don’t recover after so long time that they find it better to just get back to it or other opiod. Cases like that is why I would never recommend bupe to anyone but those using dirty street dope. Most of life saving stories about bupe are from people who have no intention ever stopping it, most other find out that stopping it is disproportionally hard to it’s shitty effects.