• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will Claritin reduce opiate nausea the same way benadryl does?

JackiesBabyy

Bluelighter
I know benadryl would probably be better but if I only have access to Claritin at the moment will it reduce the nausea caused by opiates at all?

In my experience, Claritin helped for post nasal drip but not so much for nausea.

In my experience loratidine doesn't help with itching and nausea as much as diphenhydramine. That's just my experience, you can always try for yourself, claritin is non drowsy so if you don't like nodding out it might be the better option.

In my opinion i doubt claritin loratadine will be effective because unlike benadyrl diphenhydramine at theraputic doses

A. Loratadine does not seem to antagonize central histamine receptors like dph benadyrl . Which may play a role in nausea supported by some studies on motionsickness comparing peripheral to cental H1 histamine antagonists.

B. At theraputic doses Loratadine and its metabolite doesnt antagonize muscsrinic acetylcholinergic receptors mACh like dph benadyrl. Which enormous evidence supports has a antinausea effect.

In short claritin lacks the central antagonism of H1 histamine receptors and antagonism of mACH that benadyrl has making it unlikely id bet it would be an effective subsitute for nausea.

diphenhydramine helps with nausea be cause it is related to Dramamine (gravol) so no, loratadine shouldn't help. get some Dramamine into you if you can and some ginger I found ginger to be nigh on magical for opiate nausea

edit: i was referring to opiate withdrawal nausea, not opiate INDUCED nausea. Dramamine can be pretty heavily sedating so I would avoid it personally on opiates. again drink loads of ginger ale made with real ginger if you can. it's all i drink on an opi binge lol

Last edited:
Eat before hand, try dramamine (OTC also found in stores as Bonine sometimes), and have mints and chew minty gum.

As far as post nasal drip, if you're snorting it, just clear your nose out by snorting a bit of water about 30 minutes after.

Also to reduce itching, Dph, promethazine or whatever antihistamine suits you. Be careful though as they can increase drowsiness (which can be good, but it's dangerous so just be careful) and will affect each opiate/opioid differently.

The nausea usually comes from a lack of tolerance or doing too much. Don't push yourself to do too much of any opiate and be aware of your limits. If you're new to opiates don't touch heroin or fentanyl and start at the bottom with Vicodin. Eating opiates and, chewing the minty gum like I suggested will help with opiate nausea. I can tell you I prefer promethazine also known as phenergan, but there are different medications that work for everyone- and sometimes different *combinations* of anti-nausea's that work for you. You just have to try it out. Start at lower doses if you are unsure.

^^^ this right here. when I was new to opiates I found that taking a 5 mg oxy didn't quite get me where I needed to be, and a full 10 had me puking and passing out lol. ahh the good old days. keep an eye on your dose if youre having uncomfortable nausea you're prob taking too much