• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will amphetamines 1x a week develop tolerance?

fairyfeathers

Greenlighter
Hi there. I have been taking non-recreational doses of adderall or vyvanse on the weekend (usually sat), just to concentrate and get things done (ADD). Will using once a week cause me to develop a tolerance? I don't want to have to start using more and more... Thanks! !

Last edited:
Hey there,

I believe in some minor extent you will develop a tolerance. However, if you are only taking therapeutic doses, this process will be real slow-going, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you do notice that you need more to get the same results, then maybe take one weekend off. Just out of curiosity and off-topic, do you feel the absolute need to take it to get things done or just because it's easier?

yeah, it will, though to what degree depends on how often you'd be dosing and what dosages you'd be taking. Like if you're planning on taking 30mg 2x day, I would definitely expect to notice a decrease in effects after a week of dosing that way. I'd try to keep your dosages as low and as infrequent as possible.

If your doses are low and therapeutic like you say I highly doubt tolerance will occur if only used once a week. Especially since Dopamine replenishes pretty fast at least apposed to Serotonin. Usually in 3 to 4 days. I use meth in recreational doses 1 to 2 times a week and have only noticed a small amount of tolerance increase. I also eat healthy and take other supplements to help.

If your only using once a week and keep your doses low then you should not gain a tolerance. If however you see a pattern developing -your looking forward to the weekend to use, your thinking about it more and more just be careful. Speed has the uncanny knack of creeping up on you - you use one night, then your tired the next day and have something to do so you use again.

Don't rely on spending all night at the weekend up cramming to get things done - try and manage your time a bit better through the week.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Hey there,

Just out of curiosity and off-topic, do you feel the absolute need to take it to get things done or just because it's easier?

I really feel like I need it. I had posted last week about my situation. I have horrible adult ADD that manifests especially in an serious inability to concentrate on tasks, to finish tasks when I start them, to organize my time, etc. My mind is also just constantly "going" - I wake up in the middle of the night and start thinking about crazy stuff like the perfect layout for an imaginary amusement park. It's so annoying. I am pretty sure I need a prescription, because when I take the regular therapeutic dose of adderall or vyvanse, I don't get high or speedy, I just become really able to concentrate and think clearly. It's probably the only time I feel "normal." The problem is that I also have high blood pressure that is being controlled really well with propanolol, and my doctor said she would never prescribe amphetamines and propanolol. After talking to someone on here, I'm thinking maybe I'll just override my doctor and go to a psychiatrist to see what they say. At any rate, I feel safe taking a therapeutic dose of ADD meds once a week - my BP doesn't go up really high or anything when I take it, and like I said, my BP is controlled to normal with my propanolol.

Anyway, thanks again everyone! If anyone has any experience taking ADD meds with high BP, I'd love some advice. I've been told that nothing really helps that isn't speed. :(