• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Wild Lettuce Opium For Withdrawal

90sdance

Bluelighter
Has anyone tried this (Wild Lettuce Extract) and could it be used to ameliorate withdrawal effects from something like Venlafaxine ? or drugs like heroin or cocaine ? I did read something about Kava being used to help people off heroin. Im also wondering if Kava can be used for Venlafaxine discontinuation ?

Wild lettuce is a very mild sedative, in about the same league as passion flower. It's not an opiate.
I can't see it doing much at all. Kava is better but for withdrawing I'd be looking to benzodiazepines etc. Some people say weed and kratom have helped them but I can't speak to that from experience.

Some negative sides presented here

i have read experience reports of people getting off their heads on wild lettuce ie. it produces intense Euphoria. I cant say by which mechanism of action exactly as its not tech an opiet but still. I also find it interesting that the above study gives the impression that it only grows northern Iran, when it grows all over the world (and highlights that people got sick from eating allot of it raw - which would be the case with many/most plants). It might be paranoia on my part but i honestly detect allot of gatekeeping going on here at BL (information about certain things being withheld, and certain subjects being curtailed in various ways). The reluctance of people to suggest any helpful supliments in a Veneflaxin discontinuation/taper also strikes me as odd I seem to get allot of ''just do what your doctor says'' type responses, when this place seems to deal largely with working around problems in the medical system. Im stuck on this nasty drug because it was wrongfully prescribed to me by the so called experts.

Last edited:
i have read experience reports of people getting off their heads on wild lettuce ie. it produces intense Euphoria. I cant say by which mechanism of action exactly as its not tech an opiet but still. I also find it interesting that the above study gives the impression that it only grows northern Iran, when it grows all over the world (and highlights that people got sick from eating allot of it raw - which would be the case with many/most plants). It might be paranoia on my part but i honestly detect allot of gatekeeping going on here at BL (information about certain things being withheld, and certain subjects being curtailed in various ways). The reluctance of people to suggest any helpful supliments in a Veneflaxin discontinuation/taper also strikes me as odd I seem to get allot of ''just do what your doctor says'' type responses, when this place seems to deal largely with working around problems in the medical system. Im stuck on this nasty drug because it was wrongfully prescribed to me by the so called experts.
I have known of three people who were given Venlafaxine and experienced the "discontinuation syndrome" (but it's not addicting!). All three were not told of the issue by their docs and all three were helped greatly by knowing their symptoms were typical.

I've been offered SSRI's and SNRI's by General Practitioners numerous times. For things as ridiculous as transient insomnia or work being stressful at the moment. I never accepted them since I (rightfully) felt that my problems would eventually get better and that I did not want a drug in my system to get off of after. (at least not a good one ;) )

The overprescribing of these drugs has been discussed a lot. It sucks that you are yet another victim of insurance companies supporting various doctors prescribing psychiatric medication piecemeal since it is cheap. However, people can't really give you advice any better than a doctor when they are just talking to you on the internet. Some doctors are idiots. If yours is, you'll have to try a different one.

As to Lettuce Opium, some people experience much stronger effects from certain drugs, or all drugs. You have to take experience reports with a grain of salt. I have read reports of it being a good opiate potentiator. I'll have to try that someday, it's a common plant.

I found an article on substituting a different antidepressant for a short while. Maybe this would be something to try.

I managed to get off venlaflaxine cold turkey. First day or two was a bit rough, but overall it wasn't that bad.

Alright I’m one of the few people to ever get what could call an opiate like high from Wild Lettuce. Things to note…

-It’s really finicky, I’ve only obtained this effect from one patch. Subsequent tries with different patches has proven little effects in comparison. Psychoactivity is based on things like rainfall, grouping of plants, location, etc.

-You don’t make a tea. I used the leaves in a buccal/sublingual manner. Chewing them, letting the white goo ooze out then discarding.

The times where I got something it was a strong effect and made me realize why it was often mixed with real opium back in the day. The acute effects lasted 3hrs and had the usual opiate energy, euphoria, etc. I actually cleaned my place a bit. Slept soundly that night.

The problem came the next day when I was dizzy as fuck, took me awhile to realize it was potentiating my Suboxone. I had to use a 1/4 my regular dose for a couple days until it subsided.

Upon researching this plant many years ago I came to the conclusion that it’s not an agonist but possibly potentiates opioids (including endogenous ones, hence it’s effects).

-GC

Someone, I think on here and I think in the opiate potentiation thread, made a post extolling the virtues of wild lettuce as an opiate potentiator.