View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why such a reaction?

Espiritus

Bluelighter
My SO and I went to a music festival on mush, (2g each) and all was going fine when all of a sudden he started dry heaving and getting panicky. He said his vision was getting blurry and the music felt like it was sucking him into it. It was an extremely beautiful festival setting and the music was downright otherworldly. I felt like I was becoming one with it like it was coursing through my veins. I don't understand what happened that caused this reaction in him. The stimuli were very rich and somewhat overwhelming, but for me in a good way. For him, could that have triggered an anxiety response? Could pure sensory overload cause panic?

Or were his unconscious fears or something deep in his psyche surfacing because of the shift in perception and the ego defense was lowered? He said some of the music had a very dark and menacing tone and put him in a dark place full of fear and the urge throw up and get away. I could definitely see how it could have sounded moody because of its trippy and spiritual nature, but I still don't see why it would cause such a panic reaction.

probably a personal boundary was crossed for him in some way that you (and maybe your friend as well) were unaware.

Only he may know what caused it. Even that is not for certain but its definitely one of the options you listed.

The stimuli were very rich and somewhat overwhelming, but for me in a good way. For him, could that have triggered an anxiety response?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... the somewhat overwhelming stimuli? 8(

Seriously though, psychedelics are inherently unpredictable. Set and setting are crucial, and the most minor detail (like not liking the music) can sometimes be amplified to the point where it puts you in a bad mental place.
And on top of that you've got the nausea some people experience on shrooms - where you probably just want a clean toilet you can hug and a quiet place where you chill and replenish your electrolytes afterwards, both of which are probably in short supply at a music festival... needless to say that intense nausea can absolutely ruin even the best set and setting, and the panic of a bad trip can further amplify the nausea.

I wouldn't read too much into it... bad trips come with the territory, especially on a psychedelic with an intense headspace like shrooms.

Thanks for the replies :) He won't be taking any more psychs coz now he's got this expectation that things will go wrong. I guess that's the inherent unpredictability of these substances. They're not to be toyed with.