View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why is MDMA illegal, anyway?

poledriver

Bluelighter
Why is MDMA illegal, anyway?

Unicorn_pill.jpg

There should be good reasons for any law that criminalises people, right? Well, in all jurisdictions in Australia, it is an offence to manufacture, traffic, possess or use MDMA. Here's a short history of how that happened.Unicorn_pill.jpg

First up, what is MDMA? It's full name is 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methamphetamine and it is chemically related to both the amphetamine and phenylethylamine classes of compounds. The United Nations classes MDMA in the “ecstasy group”, which includes the analogues MDA (3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine) and MDEA (3,4-methylenedioxyethyl-amphetamine).

MDMA is known to create feelings of empathy and intimacy between individuals, emotional openness, increased energy, reduced anxiety and happiness. The emotional effects of MDMA are predominately caused by the release of serotonin in the brain. The stimulant effects of MDMA (increased energy) are thought to reflect the release of dopamine.

MDMA was first patented by Merck pharmaceuticals in 1912 before it was re-discovered in 1965 by US Chemist Alexander Shulgin. The drug gained popularity in the US among psychologists in the 1970s and early 1980s for enhancing patient communication. Known for creating feelings of empathy, emotional openness, increased energy, reduced anxiety and happiness, MDMA also established itself as a popular recreational drug. In 1984, MDMA was being legally marketed and sold as ecstasy over-the-counter at bars and clubs in Texas.

Alexander_Shulgin.jpg

The US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) permanently placed MDMA in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act in 1986, which included drugs of high-abuse potential with no recognised medical use – a decision primarily based on evidence that MDA, a related compound of MDMA, induced serotonergic nerve terminal degeneration in rat brains at frequent high doses. The DEA acted against the recommendation of the administrative law judge who presided over the scheduling hearings, while also disregarding opposition from the medical profession and researchers. This decision can be rightly criticised on the basis that too much weight was attributed to limited research on a different substance, and little consideration of potential medical benefits.

Reportedly under pressure from the US, the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommended that MDMA be placed in Schedule I of the United Nations Convention on Psychotropic Substances. Substances in Schedule I are prohibited, except for limited scientific and medical purposes. The committee chairman disagreed with the ultimate decision, believing that MDMA demonstrated therapeutic value and should not be subject to international control.

Cont -

http://www.unharm.org/why_is_mdma_illegal_anyway

I like how Shlugin gets credit for popularizing MDMA when he basically wrote the book on 2C-X synthesis ;)

Dont get me wrong I like Shlugin, probably one of my "heros" as it were, but rediscovering the synthesis for MDMA is akin to me reading his works on it, doing it and then getting credit for it. This kind of thing happens a lot in sciences but its a shame that he is most known for something that wasnt his work, when he did so many "new" things and was willing to try them on himself. Definitely a rare breed for many more reasons then MDMA.

RIP Sasha

^The Shuglins invented the psychotherapeutic utilization of MDMA. In the beginning the psychoactive effects of MDMA were unknown, Shulgin and his group researched and popularized them. This involved hundreds of hours of documented therapy sessions. Alexander and Ann Shulgin's research is the foundation of modern MDMA assisted psychotherapy too.

Alexander Shulgin is known as the "God Father of MDMA/Ecstasy" [link]

szuko000 lets remember the deceased accurately. Perhaps you should correct the inaccuracies in your post.

I am not arguing his efforts in recognizing the benefits of such things I am just saying he did a lot more for the chemistry of psychedelics beyond revisiting MDMA, that is all i was saying. What inaccuracies are you referring to? I mean he did literally write the book on 2c-X synthesis (among other things) its called PiHKAL. I am being serious what inaccuracies I said "remember the man for his efforts in chemistry and his uniqueness" People remember him for MDMA but he, as well as Ann, were much more then the popularizing of one compound. I didnt mean to sound offensive but rather to inform people of the fact he should be known for much more.

*Edit* it should be noted that a lot of people think he was the first to synthesize mdma which he was not. Its different here but in the real world thats what i have heard and its a shame because he did so much more then that, surely you agree?

Last edited:
After you reworded your ideas, I agree. At first glance I thought you were marginalizing his work in your first comment. I appreciate you clarifying your ideas. Alexander Shulgin is a legend.

No problem, the man is my hero I didnt mean to come off as less then appreciative believe me. I have a lot of respect for what he discovered which is why i view him as more then the title most publicized articles give him. MDMA was but one of many contributions he gave us, hell if i could be half the synthetic chemist he was i will be happy with myself :)

The game is rigged. For some substance with recreational value to be made legal it needs to also be some miraculous drug that can cure cancer and whatnot, be absolutely harmless, non-addictive etc. For a substance with recreational value to be made illegal it has to... have recreational value, and it doesn't matter how harmless it is.