• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Why is injecting into an artery dangerous?

waitingfordarkness

Greenlighter
Hi everyone. I am curious as to what makes injection into arteries dangerous. I have never used a needle and do not plan on it. I'm asking only out of medical curiosity. Thanks.

Arteries carry blood away from the heart, as opposed to towards the heart. I don't think I could give an adequate description as to exactly "why" it's dangerous aside from that. But I will say that even injecting into an artery is very difficult because it hurts like hell right away and the needle usually backs out as soon as it touches an artery. The flow of lighter red blood will push it out.

Arterial blood travels away from the heart, whatever you’re injecting travels straight to limbs and extremities. Particles from the injection can get stuck in capillaries and cut off circulation. Not only is it painful to inject into an artery but your risk of tissue death and even losing a limb is very high.

Thank you for your explanations. I was reading another thread here about ER visits with some grizzly results; that's why I was curious.