• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cocaine Why is cocaine cardiotoxic but Methylphenidate or Ritalin is not?

PriestTheyCalledHim

Bluelighter
Cocaine is extremely cardiotoxic but why is methylphenidate not cardiotoxic despite them being very chemically similat? Is it from the cuts in cocaine or chemicals used to extract the coca leaves, or something else?

Or is it from the dose? With coke it becomes insatiable to use it until it is gone!

I don't use cocaine, or any stims except caffeine in moderation.

It's because of the way that cocaine interacts with several ion channels which results in a high degree of vasoconstriction and interfering with the electrical impulses that drive heart contractility. These effects, at least in part, are directly related to the behavior of cocaine as a local anesthetic which you may note that methylphenidate is not

It's because of the way that cocaine interacts with several ion channels which results in a high degree of vasoconstriction and interfering with the electrical impulses that drive heart contractility. These effects, at least in part, are directly related to the behavior of cocaine as a local anesthetic which you may note that methylphenidate is not
Thanks! Yes I used cocaine once orally that I remember, and at least one or two more times drunk and blacked out snorting it. I was nervous I would damage my heart or die from it like various people have or almost did...

It should also be noted that the two are not molecularly similar, just pharmacologically.. (Supposedly…) To me cocaine and Ritalin are worlds apart, cocaine is a drug that is very unique.

-GC

Well considering how different molecules are, they are quite pharmachologically similar. But that’s still more in the lines methylphenidate is more similar to coke than to amphetamine and not as in it’s a synthetic coke.

I don’t find effects of methyl or ethyl phenidate similar to coke but still somewhat in lines of above.

Well considering how different molecules are, they are quite pharmachologically similar. But that’s still more in the lines methylphenidate is more similar to coke than to amphetamine and not as in it’s a synthetic coke.

I don’t find effects of methyl or ethyl phenidate similar to coke but still somewhat in lines of above.
I still can’t get over the how different methylphenidate feels to me than any other stimulant. I get no pleasure from methylphenidate, only focus. It makes me an anti-social zombie. For me it’s effects are absolutely nothing like cocaine, other than stimulation of course being present with both.

The pharmaceutical industry has never Been able to get close to what ccaine feels like Ritalin is a pissant knock off of the real deal They say coke it “polymorphic“
moma coca is the food Of the gods but i honestly can’t mess with her too much or I might end up in a ward or something

I still can’t get over the how different methylphenidate feels to me than any other stimulant. I get no pleasure from methylphenidate, only focus. It makes me an anti-social zombie. For me it’s effects are absolutely nothing like cocaine, other than stimulation of course being present with both.
I hate methylphenidate as a recreational drug but do miss the days I used to be able to buy a friends entire script for a 1/7 oz of weed and go full sweat on COD. Barely ever felt a “high” from it but if I continued to get a methylphenidate script there’s a very good chance I’d be a COD pro now 😂 or at least some years ago, I’m too old with bad vision and slower reflexes now. Adderall and meth always helped me too better(and still do, obviously) but methylphenidate made me unstoppable. Just pure, unadulterated focus and reflex speed for video games.

I think it was the benzoic acid ester Rest that brings affinity for the ion channels that leads to heart problems.