Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Why I dont trust edible dosages

smallwagon

Greenlighter
I(17) had bought 3, "fast acting" edibles from a friend, "100mg" each, 1 of which I sold to another friend, he ate It almost right away and soon after we went our separate ways. The next day he told me it felt as strong as a time we took what was sold as 350mg at a theme park and got way too high and the experience kind of sucked.

Taking that into account I only ate about half of one, at around 4:30 PM I decided it was time, however only about 20 minuets after eating it I felt it and the effects were escalating rapidly. I laid down in bed and listened to some music enjoying the patterns I saw on my ceiling, but soon got uncomfortable and started feeling panicked. trying to feel less high I decided that laying down and listening to music would only make the high stronger so I got up and sat in my computer chair and watched family guy to try and distract myself. focusing on the show helped but I was too far gone and soon became unable to focus.

The patterns I saw became complex series of rings that took up my whole field of view. unfortunately I struggle to remember much after sitting down, until I noticed my heart was beating very fast and hard. that really freaked me out and was hard to ignore. when my heart started racing to did my mind. "was the edible laced?" "am I going to die?" "I am going to die." I'm not religious but I was practically praying to be spared from cardiac arrest and if I was I would never touch another drug (a promise I broke a few days later). my heart kept racing faster and pounding harder, suddenly I got the idea to make myself throw up. I had never done that before but it was shockingly easy. afterwards I still felt just as high but I was able to calm down for a minuet until my focus was back on my heart that seemed to not care about my vomiting and only beat harder and faster. around this time breathing became somewhat challenging and my heart, that I kept a hand over to constantly monitor, started doing cycles of intense beating then my heart beat would become unfeelable then start up again at a slow, weak beat. I don't know for sure if my heart actually stopped multiple times, I was quite out of it and as someone with no medical background that sounds impossible, but when it was happening I thought for sure it had stopped and that one time it wasn't going to start again. at one point my heart felt with it was convulsing, beating extremely fast with no pattern too, I also threw up not on purpose a few more times during this.

Making it through that ordeal I started slowly coming down, I don't think I've ever been so to come down.

My mom who had been out most of the day came home and walked into my room to check on me. when she talked to me I was struggling to speak and didn't try to act sober cause I wanted help more than I wanted to not get caught. It was comforting to have someone next to me but at the same time I was still convinced death was certain and I felt terrible for accidently killing myself with an edible of all things. Not wanting to scare her I didn't mention at one point how my heart stopped but I did say my heart was beating fast so she went to
check it but struggled to find a pulse. when she found a pulse she counted 115 which I didn't believe as because I still felt like I was fighting for my life.

At around 9ish I was about as high as I had planned on and was helped into bed by my mom and went to sleep unsure if I would wake up fine or my heart would give up in my sleep.

CONCLUSION
Don't always trust the labels and start small if your trying a new product, as well as try and stay calm, If I calmed myself down instead of getting paranoid over my heart rate maybe I would of never had, or thought I had such bad tachycardia. since this experience I get freaked out more and easier by my heart rate while on long lasting substances and I notice my heart rate way more even when sober.

Thank you for sharing your experience. First of all, let me start off by saying that I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and I hope you're feeling better now. It sounded rough.

That being said, I have to say that your edibles were not laced, they were properly labeled, and your heart did not stop. You were just having a really hard cannabinoid trip and having a panic attack. It feels that real sometimes in terms of the physiological challenges you think you're going through, but you're not.

"Fast-acting" edibles are a new form of ingestible THC that has never been available on the market until relatively recently. They do not have anything in common with traditional cannabis edibles other than the fact that they come in an edible form. Traditional cannabis edibles are absorbed orally through the digestive tract, being metabolized in the liver from THC to 11-OH-THC and taking a while to hit. "Fast-acting" edibles are absorbed in the mouth and throat through your mucous membranes and they are not significantly metabolized, instead causing a very rapid and potent hit of THC to your bloodstream. This makes them more similar to smoking and vaping cannabis than to traditional edibles, except that if you take a high enough dosage of "fast-acting" edibles at once, your THC levels will spike much higher at once than even smoking or vaping cannabis or concentrates is capable of achieving.

Personally, my limit is 40 mg. That amount of fast-acting edibles gave me the most powerful psychedelic trip I've ever had on any cannabis product, and in a totally negative way. I was enjoying taking them in the 10-30 mg range but I just kind of stopped after that trip because I didn't want to deal with that risk again. The trip was just too heavy and disruptive.

In the future, do not treat "fast-acting" edibles as if they are the same as regular edibles. They require different dosages and have different metabolic profiles, different time courses of action, and a different nature of effects, as you have now seen. If you treat them as the different thing that they are, you shouldn't run into this problem again.

I hope you are able to get over the anxiety this has given you in the long run. I promise, it was just a really powerful high. These fast-acting edibles are crazy. And thanks again for sharing, as more people do need to be aware of this risk.

Sorry you went through that experience! Weeds way too strong now, I can't partake in it anymore without having a panic attack, 100mg of THC is actually quit a bit TBH, where I live 75mg edibles have a warning that basically says "Warning this is some powerful shit! only take a quarter and go from there!" I agree with the other post that you had a panic attack, try looking up "Mindfulness exercises"/ "Breathing exercises"/ "Guided Mediation" videos on youtube next time that happens, thats basically what a therapist would recommend for a panic attack. Stay safe, and have a safe journey man!

Thank you for sharing your experience. First of all, let me start off by saying that I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and I hope you're feeling better now. It sounded rough.

That being said, I have to say that your edibles were not laced, they were properly labeled, and your heart did not stop. You were just having a really hard cannabinoid trip and having a panic attack. It feels that real sometimes in terms of the physiological challenges you think you're going through, but you're not.

"Fast-acting" edibles are a new form of ingestible THC that has never been available on the market until relatively recently. They do not have anything in common with traditional cannabis edibles other than the fact that they come in an edible form. Traditional cannabis edibles are absorbed orally through the digestive tract, being metabolized in the liver from THC to 11-OH-THC and taking a while to hit. "Fast-acting" edibles are absorbed in the mouth and throat through your mucous membranes and they are not significantly metabolized, instead causing a very rapid and potent hit of THC to your bloodstream. This makes them more similar to smoking and vaping cannabis than to traditional edibles, except that if you take a high enough dosage of "fast-acting" edibles at once, your THC levels will spike much higher at once than even smoking or vaping cannabis or concentrates is capable of achieving.

Personally, my limit is 40 mg. That amount of fast-acting edibles gave me the most powerful psychedelic trip I've ever had on any cannabis product, and in a totally negative way. I was enjoying taking them in the 10-30 mg range but I just kind of stopped after that trip because I didn't want to deal with that risk again. The trip was just too heavy and disruptive.

In the future, do not treat "fast-acting" edibles as if they are the same as regular edibles. They require different dosages and have different metabolic profiles, different time courses of action, and a different nature of effects, as you have now seen. If you treat them as the different thing that they are, you shouldn't run into this problem again.

I hope you are able to get over the anxiety this has given you in the long run. I promise, it was just a really powerful high. These fast-acting edibles are crazy. And thanks again for sharing, as more people do need to be aware of this risk.
Thanks for the incite on fast acting edibles.