• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why female potheads still feel ashamed

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
I’ve been smoking pot on and off since I was about 17. Throughout this time — we’re talking 25 years— I believe I bought my own pot once. I have always relied on the men in my life to provide it for me. When I look back at my history with marijuana, I simply have no connection to the weed in my life and where it comes from (except for that boyfriend who filled two of our small closets with plants in 1997). Along with relying on men for it, I also don’t discuss smoking with girlfriends. I wouldn’t meet up with another woman to get high the way I would, say, for a glass of shiraz. There’s probably only been a handful of times in the past 10 years have I gotten high with a group of women to simply relax.

Most of the men I know, on the other hand, get high. They discuss the product. They have multiple sources. They invest in smokeless inhalation devices like the Volcano and the portable Wispr. They speak about their weed machines like they’d talk about cars. Or computers. Or the way my Uncle Joe used to obsess over his ham radios in the 1970s. And while the country has more or less embraced the stoner way of life — new data shows that more Americans are getting high now than in previous years — the stigma around women smoking pot is still pretty black and white.

If you take a look at marijuana gender data, you’d think most women are following the Adam Ant rule of thumb — Don’t drink, don’t smoke. In Colorado, for example, 68 percent of medical marijuana registrants are males and in Arizona, 73 percent of approved applicants are men. According to the annual National Survey on Drug Use, conducted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, almost twice as many men smoke than women (9.6 percent of men vs. 5 percent of women).

Here’s the thing about women and weed: Women generally don’t want to discuss their habit out of fear of being judged or compared to a cartoon. Think Milla Jovovich’s stoner character in “Dazed and Confused” — she had no lines whatsoever and merely stared off into space, and, okay, she painted a Gene Simmons face on that statue. Worse, if you’re a mother, you keep your weed habit secret because you don’t want to be seen as a negligent parent.

Because when women unwind, we have been told that drinking should be our method of choice — Kathie Lee and Hoda still drink wine at 10 a.m., and no one balks. But just last year the entire Internet almost had a collective heart attack when “Motherland” author Amy Sohn wrote about her drugging escapades for The Awl in “The 40-Year-Old Reversion.” The first paragraph goes like this: “Once a month I get together with half a dozen moms from Park Slope and Carroll Gardens. We call ourselves Hookers, Sluts and Drug Addicts.” And this summer, a video of a group called the Marijuana Moms went viral after announcing they were “bringing glamour and exclusivity to marijuana use.” The Huffington Post filed the story under “Weird News.”

cont at
http://www.salon.com/2013/09/14/why_female_potheads_still_feel_ashamed/

I definitely have noticed over the years that quite a few less women seem to blaze than men, especially habitually. For some reason though, it seems for smokers in their 40's and upwards that I have known there were probably as many female smokers as male smokers, and they were all habitual. All the younger people I know though WAY more guys smoke weed, even among drug users it seems there are a lot more females who use other drugs but don't smoke pot than there are males who fit this profile. Still, I think in bits that article is exaggerating a bit, like when it references some chick that claims she doesn't even talk about smoking around her stoner mates, I mean that just reeks of bullshit to me, where the fuck is she getting it then unless she grows it herself. What possible fear of being judged for smoking pot is anyone going to have around habitual pot smokers.

That quote in the article about women having to work twice as hard to be considered half as good annoys me a bit as well, I know that women don't quite have it as good pay wise in the workplace than men but twice as hard to be half as good? Give me a fucking break, that is nonsense, as though we still live in times women can't vote or something.

Overall I don't really see the point of this article, its basically just stating a fact that less women smoke weed than dudes, which pretty much anyone who smokes weed would already know. I think overall women are less likely to engage in risk taking behavior and while it is arguable whether cannabis falls into this category there is certainly a widely help perception that it does, I also think overall that women are probably a little bit more prone to worry and so may be less likely to enjoy the effects of cannabis. Also, I reckon the perception that it makes people lazy probably turns off more women than it does men.

I am sure with most drugs there would be either more men or more women using them, I imagine there would be very few that was an even split between male and female usage rates, I would also bet that for almost all illicit drugs use among men is higher, due to the risk taking behavior thing I mentioned earlier.

it seems there are a lot more females who use other drugs but don't smoke pot than there are males who fit this profile.

I've noticed this too. Most of the drug using women I know are all about cocaine, Xanax and heroin.

Mostly cocaine.

When you think of your typical 'pothead' you're thinking of a guy. Females won't be ashamed of MDMA, because that''s about wuv and dancing.

Also, hitting a bong and yakking your lungs out in a circle in front of a bunch of guys cancels out the 'i wanna look hot all the time' girls from being in that crowd.

And doing some lines is more feminine..

Maybe its just me but i know a ton of female potheads, daily smokers, weekend smokers, dealers and even one chick that was moving pounds a week i was being supplied by. But it def seems like chicks are so prissy about it. For example, my sister who is a huge smoker, is in her senior year of college and her shes sharing a 3 bedroom apt with these two other chicks and my sister lit a blunt in he room blew the smoke out the window and all, and her 2 roomates started freaking out like you know thats illegal and its a gateway drug!!?!! Dont smoke in here anymore, were gonna go get dressed like prostitutes and drink a shit load of hard liuor and black out lol. If you could only see how these college girls around here (and im guessing everywhere) dress you would think they would blow you for 20bucks. Or for free if you get them a few drinks lol.. id much rather be with a chick that smokes. Much more open minded.

Maybe she is just ashamed because she is a pot leach.. I know lots of chronic ladies probably more of them then men as we (my friends) are getting older.

"Because when women unwind, we have been told that drinking should be our method of choice — Kathie Lee and Hoda still drink wine at 10 a.m., and no one balks. even though its a strait edge band >I won't do what you tell me < But just last year the entire Internet almost had a collective heart attack when “Motherland” author Amy Sohn wrote about her drugging escapades for The Awl in “The 40-Year-Old Reversion.” The first paragraph goes like this: “Once a month I get together with half a dozen moms from Park Slope and Carroll Gardens. We call ourselves Hookers, Sluts and Drug Addicts.” And this summer, a video of a group called the Marijuana Moms went viral after announcing they were “bringing glamour and exclusivity to marijuana use.” The Huffington Post filed the story under “Weird News.” Ladies are usually sneekier than men as far as drug use.. ladies be coming out the closet=D

Last edited:
In the town I'm from when we were 15-20 one of the better dealers was a chick. We called her the pot queen. Although I usually scratch my head in wonderment at some of the statistics used in articles I believe CO and AZ stats are in line with my personal exp.

I gotta say that my friends girlfriends are always "sponsored" by their boyfriends and it's really a pet peeve. When I got to throw down for someone's girl the first few times it's fine, but when it happens every time for months, years, decades OMFG!!! I'm not trying to bash you, but I'm sure you can see how annoying it can be.

Yea i fucking hate that moochy chick that just expects to get smoked down with no cash. These chicks i used to chilled with bought their bud bc they hated mooch chicks too. I should know too bc they got their buds from me lol. Even worse if when a dumbass chick willl dump an ashy lookin bowl bc they only like the green part. I should have rolled her a j of some spice that someone gave me that i never touched that was laying around forever and said here, this is alll for you lol.

Heh, I don't think talking about female faux pas is going to help matters if this article is any indication. It's written by a woman who interviews other women on the subject, and it makes insightful observations. Send it to your girlfriends if you've got them, and talk about it if it's relevant.

I guess you could say females are more socialy conscious, I guess.
Being more socialy aware could make you far more prone to the guilt of transgressing some type of commonly perceived stigma.
Every bird I've had has been seriously, almost irrationaly ashamed of my drug use ie cannabis. Okay, people are social creatures, I guess- but this is cannabis we're talking about here: cannabis! (I should probably point out that every one of ex's were all tobacco smokers and binge drinkers...