• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why don't you feel crack cocaine until you exhale?

ShizaOnTheMoon

Greenlighter
Okay so SWIM has personally been wondering this for years and has asked almost everyone whom SWIM has smoked with and No one seems to have an answer. SWIM has searched the web with no results.
How come whenever SWIM smokes crack, no matter how good it is or how long SWIM holds the smoke in, SWIM will NEVER feel the high until SWIM exhales the smoke. I mean if it's held long enough SWIM may start to feel a little numbness in the lips mouth area but never the actual high until SWIM blows out the smoke. Does anyone have an idea why? To me it really doesn't make much sense but I'm hoping someone out there might know why or at least have a solid idea as to why.
Let SWIM know so SWIM can stop wondering this every hit SWIM smokes.

we don't use SWIM here lol
Also probably cause you cant hold your breath that long, I cant imagine smoking crack being easy on your lungs....

if your lung is still and smoke as still as it can be as smoke, absorption rate decreases very soon. Exhaling exposes more of the lung again to smoke.

The same was true for me with salvia back in the day. No clue why. Pulmonology is way outside my comfort zone.

It may be caused by a primary mechanism of aerosol deposition being inertial impaction

Inertial impaction​

In the respiratory tract, inertial impaction is the primary mechanism of deposition for particles >5 μm in diameter and is an important deposition mechanism for particles as small as 2 μm, depending on flow rate. Inertial impaction occurs when there is a sudden change in the direction of the flow, which causes particles to deviate from the air streamlines as the inertia of the particles keeps them on their initial trajectories. As a result, particles may impact on airway walls and be removed from the flow. The probability that a particle will diverge from the air streamlines can be expressed as a function of the Stokes number (Stk) defined by:

@ShizaOnTheMoon

Last edited:
Seriously, we all do or have done drugs here. Don’t use SWIM. It’s in the rules.

There isn't a route of administration around that could be considered truly or even to approach what we would consider "instantaneous". I think, perhaps if you were to inject a substance directly into the brain, this might be different, but that is not within the realm of practicality for the common drug user.

Even injection takes seconds before the drug is felt. You're just experiencing the nature of that route of administration. I think most people would agree to a 3-5 second delay when smoking or vaporizing a substance. There is a lot of room here for how these things are felt subjectively. I've heard countless people say they felt the effects of the drug before they even push the plunger down. I have known plenty of Crack users who are already high when they raise the pipe to their lips.

At any rate, this is essentially what everyone experiences. A few seconds of delay.

A variety of Continuing Medical Education (CME) surveys are going on for precisely this question. Hopefully, we'll find out soon.

Best Wishes Good Luck GIF by Studios 2016

I used to smoke and I can say I could feel it at rare times before I would exhale. Lots of variables though... like others said absorption rate, heart rate, dosage...etc. It's super bizarre though because according to the science inhalation is supposed to be about four seconds faster than IV since IV has to go through the left side of the heart to the lungs first... I think at a 72 bpm heart rate it's around 7 seconds for inhalation and 11 seconds for IV (or something around there and I'm sure that data and rate varies widely). But for whatever science says...I can at times remember tasting the cocaine in my mouth and feeling the rush before I could even push the plunger fully in. Even in the hospital when the push the saline in an IV port in a superficial vein you can taste it before 11 seconds and I'd assume a lower resting heart rate for that too.

This is so true.

I've never felt the rush from crack until I exhaled, regardless of how long I held my breath for. Can't explain it...