Why do we have a pre conditioned uncomfortableness taking about psychosis and mental health?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
Like I feel like when someone brings this up or says they are unfit we instantly think something is inheritedly wrong with them?/

I remember when my sister ended up in a psych ward after a music festival and it's just like accepted she's crazy?

I felt terrible for her because I felt she was never going to get out of that place. That's like how these places work though they expose your natural human instinct to be free and escape and use it against you as means that you're mentally unstable?

I am perfectly mentally stable but even writing that makes me feel others would not think so.

Why do we think like this?

This post doesn’t in the slightest have me worried for your mental status, it’s all the other posts that do..

But I agree the stigma is real and it’s why I too would never seek out mental health treatment even if I felt I needed it. It’s a system that seems to be cyclical in nature, once your in the drugs they give you have a strong chance of throwing off your mental state in such a way that you keep coming back. When I read the Invega stories I can’t help but fear for myself if that were to ever be my situation.

You probably mind me asking but feel inclined to do so anyway, but did your sister just have a rough trip? Was it Bloom? That’s sad she got tied into it all purely because she likely had one off experience that lingered. We need different protocols for these individuals as their often temporary psychosis isn’t something to institutionalize someone over.

-GC

I've noticed the stigma, I hate it really. Any time I bring up my psychosis or schizo with people, they usually do one of two things; either they suddenly have a different negative opinion of me, or they become uncomfortable and avoid the topic.

It's because when people hear about mental illness, everyone has the most extreme form of it in mind. Psychosis = serial killer. Schizophrenia = incoherent delusional person. Bipolar = raging maniac, etc, etc... the majority of people with these conditions are not anywhere near those things, it's just the examples you see on TV, and when people discuss them they often discuss the most extreme symptoms

the same stigma exists when talking about drug addiction

I think we should stop labeling others and ourselves too much

This post doesn’t in the slightest have me worried for your mental status, it’s all the other posts that do..

But I agree the stigma is real and it’s why I too would never seek out mental health treatment even if I felt I needed it. It’s a system that seems to be cyclical in nature, once your in the drugs they give you have a strong chance of throwing off your mental state in such a way that you keep coming back. When I read the Invega stories I can’t help but fear for myself if that were to ever be my situation.

You probably mind me asking but feel inclined to do so anyway, but did your sister just have a rough trip? Was it Bloom? That’s sad she got tied into it all purely because she likely had one off experience that lingered. We need different protocols for these individuals as their often temporary psychosis isn’t something to institutionalize someone over.

-GC

Yeah so she came home from a music festival and Canada and essentially had lost her mind lol.

Not sure if it was the lack of sleep, personally I think someone slipped her LSD or mdma caused it, but she was lost… like making absolutely no sense to any of us.

She basically was a danger to herself so if I remember properly my parents voluntarily committed her?

I remember vividly trying to get her to snap out of it and telling her the mental hospital is not somewhere she wanted to go. And eventually gave up because I realized I couldn’t help her. It was a scary moment that I realized she may never come back from.

She was only in there like 2-3 weeks, became stable and got out. Not before they jacked her up on lithium.

Yeah it sucked man it’s scary I’m glad she’s OK now but it was a rough period. I thought she was never gonna get out but like you said it really was just a temporary psychosis

I've noticed the stigma, I hate it really. Any time I bring up my psychosis or schizo with people, they usually do one of two things; either they suddenly have a different negative opinion of me, or they become uncomfortable and avoid the topic.

It's because when people hear about mental illness, everyone has the most extreme form of it in mind. Psychosis = serial killer. Schizophrenia = incoherent delusional person. Bipolar = raging maniac, etc, etc... the majority of people with these conditions are not anywhere near those things, it's just the examples you see on TV, and when people discuss them they often discuss the most extreme symptoms

the same stigma exists when talking about drug addiction

I think we should stop labeling others and ourselves too much

Agreed 100%. I think mental health scares a lot of us as humans because the reality is is we are powerless to it. Like when my sister had a mental break there’s nothing within my human power I could do to help her. She was beyond human aid.

Which in part makes me wonder, if someone is losing there mind, is there truly anything human aid can do? Nothing short of divine intervention from God really.

I think it scares us because we don’t understand it. And we can’t fix it. But by not addressing the issue and talking about it it definitely makes it worse. We need to express how we’re feeling. Even if on a forum and typing it out. I think that’s part of the reason Bluelight is so therapeutic and important

Well I tend to think it was human aid and intervention (hospitalisation and medication) rather than God that saved me from myself in the times where my mind was not my own.

I absolutely think it is an understanding thing - people who haven't experienced it or aren't naturally empathetic just can't get it. Humans as a whole don't naturally like things that are different and that applies whether it's the person who is having mental difficulties not wanting to feel different by getting help, or the person who is listening to someone else's problems who doesn't know how to react to hearing very "abnormal" thoughts. Like, we generally understand things by being able to relate to shared experiences. Most people can understand feeling sad, but not low to the point of ending their lives and psychosis in whatever way that presents itself is nearly impossible to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it themselves.

It's a weird world we live in. My perspective has totally changed over the past few years as I've learn't to take care of my needs.
The fear of stigma and being judged by other people stopped me from getting help all my life.
It can be terrifying living with a mental health problem and then the judgment from others just makes the situation worse.
I guess it's ignorance, as once a person has experienced psychosis or schizophrenia they can empathize then.
Also I hate the words given to these conditions.

I think it’s mostly fear based. Why the fear, with psychosis a person truly breaks with reality, for a short period or longer. It’s very difficult to handle and we are likely hard wired to avoid people who are in this state. Being social beings we consciously and unconsciously recognize deviation from social norms. Psychosis is often such a dramatic shift from rational and or normal thought and behavior that it throws up such blatant flags across the board that we naturally react this way.

totally stigma. The so-called normies walk around like its all rainbows and fucking unicorns. And they are the most fucked up in my opinion. I've not really grieved for my deceased boyfriend because its
too uncomfortable for others. And I want to remember him by speaking his name and keeping him alive somehow. So fuck people who stigmatize. Happy NYE!

"Mental illness bad, no understand, scary.
Monkey brain no like, can't fix, avoid."
Is my hypothesis.

I have bipolar with psychosis and I get drug induced psychosis whenever I use drugs. I tend to keep that information mostly to myself because yeah, people often think I'm crazy because of it. They don't understand that it's just at the end point of an untreated manic episode that isn't picked up on that I can get psychotic.