• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why do some people not develop benzo/GABA-ergic tolerance?

Spurs_1882

Bluelighter
Tolerance to a drug appears to be a natural and inevitable phenomenon. The body adapts to the new substance. So in the case of benzos or other drugs affecting GABA, it's as if the body/brain does not want to lose its natural flight or fight response to danger. A certain dose may relax you for a while, then the body will achieve homeostasis...presumably because, looking at it from an evolutionary perspective, our system still needs to keep us safe and alert us to danger. (unfortunately in many cases the things it's alerting us to are not generally real physical dangers in the modern, Western world, but rather our neuroses).

Bearing this in mind, I'd be interested to know how someone with a lot more knowledge than me would explain why there are some users of this class of drugs, who do not appear to be affected by the phenomenon of tolerance? There are people who have been on the same dose of benzo for 10+ years who still claim it has anxiolytic efficacy, for instance.

My guess is that for whatever reason these people's systems are unable to negotiate/become used to the presence of the drug; at least not fully. I might also imagine that in some cases, it's more that the person has become less anxious naturally and incorrectly attributes it to the drug.

Also there are people who take anti-depressants for many years and still claim efficacy. This seems to be a more common phenomenon than with GABA-ergics. It's a different class of drugs, which the body seems less adept at becoming used to. I wonder why this is too.

I've read (lol) people taking benzos for a valid disorder, never become tolerant to certain drugs.

I'm fairly certain that your body recognizes the need for the prescribed benzo and in a sense, "makes room" for it. Will check back because I am curious myself.

I've read (lol) people taking benzos for a valid disorder, never become tolerant to certain drugs.

I'm fairly certain that your body recognizes the need for the prescribed benzo and in a sense, "makes room" for it. Will check back because I am curious myself.

I understand what you mean, but that's not been my own experience. I've taken benzos and lyrica for anxiety, not abused them, and still gained tolerance.