• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Why do some drugs seem to do nothing, and opiates build tolerance insanely quickly before hitting a wall and not cause withdrawals?

sumguy776

Greenlighter
I want to preface this by saying no one should do what I've done. I'm probably just very lucky or maybe there's something weird going on with my brain/body. I do know I have some sort of major sleep disorder, at least severe insomnia and possibly narcolepsy with cataplexy as well but that is undiagnosed (no insurance for a sleep study).

Some drugs just seem to do nothing, like benzos. I've tried klonopin, lorazepam, and xanax, and it was as if I hadn't taken anything. Using klonopin as an example, I was prescribed 4mg for sleep and even if I tripled it to 12mg I'd feel nothing; it wouldn't even help me sleep. The same goes for muscle relaxers, though I've tried so many of those I won't list them. I originally tried some of these years ago for recreational purposes,

With opiates my tolerance just skyrockets hugely until it seems to hit a wall it won't go past. I've only had vicodin/hydrocodone, tramadol, and loperamide. I know I took things way too far with these, so again please do not try to do this yourself. With the hydrocodone (without acetaminophen) I got up to around 80 or 90mg per dose after a few months, with tramadol I got to around 600mg - 800mg, maybe even a gram a few times. (yes, I know how dangerous that was in regards to seizures) after a year and a bit, and up to 500mg or so loperamide over half a year or so. I also took stuff to potentiate each dose. I ended up quitting them each time cold turkey expecting horrible withdrawals, but nothing ever happened that I noticed except for wanting more opiates for a few days after stopping.

The same thing happened with MXE. I don't remember what dosages I was taking because of how long ago it was but it was in the hundreds of mg after maybe a year of taking it. I again quit cold turkey with no noticeable withdrawals.

Stimulants have a vastly reduced effect on me too, but if I do have narcolepsy then that makes perfect sense. As an example, 1g of caffeine won't do anything (heart rate stayed around 60bpm, still ended up taking a nap), 30mg of adderall will keep me awake but that's about it, no recreational value even at 100mg, and ritalin has seemed to just do nothing at all like caffeine at doses as high as 80mg spread over a few hours. Again though, no surprises there if I really am narcoleptic. MDMA seemed to work exactly as expected, though, at least at higher dosages around 150mg - 200mg

Some other stuff has gone exactly as expected, like alcohol, DXM, weed, etc.,.. including any negative effects like comedowns or hangovers, though I've never tried those long term enough to think it would cause withdrawals.

I'm not trying to brag or something and again I do not suggest anyone else do any of this, I'm just wondering if there's a reason or cause for this.

@sumguy776 hi mate,
Having been in a position of administering 100's of different types of medication to people I have to say that personal physiology and reaction varies massively from person to person, which is why it's such a shit-show trying to get people on the correct dose of the correct meds. I would say write down how you have reacted to the medication you have tried and the subjective effect(s) as over time you will build an in-depth record of medication and how it relates to you specifically. It's not uncommon to see extremes of variation in subjects to all kinds of drugs and withdrawal symptoms.
I guess some drugs just work well for some people and not others. For example I seem to be immune to codeine and dihydrocodeine but I know some people for whom those drugs knock them out of the park.
Not experiencing much by way of withdrawal symptoms might be considered a superpower to some people 😁

Peace and love
Billy

Elderly people in the UK receive Heroin/ DiaMorphine for hip replacements.

After leaving the hospital, 3 weeks later, the mayority experiences no WD's.

My only opiod exp was with Kratom. And that also has some sort of ceiling. It will keep working but taking more will just give side effects. There was a period of a few years I took this herb daily. And I do exp WD's when I had periods of no use.