• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids why do opiates make you crave sugar?

Probably as simple as the dopamine sugar release (eventhough its minimal) + the flood of dopamine you're allready enjoying. Just your body reacting to what it wants and thats more dopamine probably.

H always makes me crave sweet things like crazy. I'm not remotely hypoglycemic, & hsve excellent insulin sensitivity/response. I think it's neurological in effect.

H always makes me crave sweet things like crazy. I'm not remotely hypoglycemic, & hsve excellent insulin sensitivity/response. I think it's neurological in effect.

Dang Fairnymph glad youre still around, been a long time since ive seen that name...

As far as sweets are concerned, i recall it had something to do with down-regulation of enkephalin MRNA as well as a host of other factors...

Goddamn it looks like i posted in this thread 17 years ago...I was just a kid. A child born that year would virtually be at the age of consent today...

Likewise & thanks for the input. Hope you're doing well?

Yes, I seemed to come out of it all relatively unscathed other than the damage associated with lost time and some battle scars. Habit free now though i'll never fully abstain. If you recall, Phreex and I modded OD back in the wild west era of bluelight...

Oh yes, I remember. Unfortunately I'm a bit brain fogged by severe chronic pain & the high dose h I take for it, so I'm not as sharp as I was before, but based on the breaks I take it's not at all permanent, thankfully. Glad to hear you're so stable. As ever I seem to be luckily incapable of psychological addiction, but physical dependence is still a bitch.

I actually modded with you under in OD an alias for a while...

OH how I miss OD....
Anyway it doesn't look like this study has been posted in this thread yet but it explains that opioids basically put you into a state similar to diabetes.
Ever since I carted home a 30 lb bucket of frosted icing from a donut shop and continued been eating it by the handful (not even spoonful) whenever I'm on dope I realized that these sugar cravings could actually be seriously dangerous. Keep in mind I'm the skinniest kid on the block. I've weighed 120 even since I graduated high school and stayed the same (aside from a stint tree planting when I was eating 4,000 calories a day where I buffed up to about 145) but other than that, absolutely no weight change for 15 years - until this last year when I relapsed on the fentadope and my diet plummeted from being nearly all plant-based ft. fish & eggs to basically just candy and oatmeal with protein powder in it. And sometimes candy. In the oatmeal, that is. Now I have the subtlest whispers of man boobs (probably more to do with the low T than anything) and a fat booty that fills out my jeans pretty nice and a bit of a gut. It's fucking weird.

Got sugar cravings time to time.not related with pain meds.eating a lot of sweets actually see mostly on methadone patients.may be related with blood sugar levels.i don't know.

This is a real problem. I could live on ice cream. I crave it all the time but if I gave in to the cravings I would be a moose in no time at all. I get intrusive thoughts about it like a cigarette or drug craving but for ice cream.
why do all the good things have such awful repercussions for indulging in them?
My version of heaven is suntanning and smoking cigs and not getting wrinkles
eating pistachio ice cream not gaining weight
doing tons of opioids and never getting a tolerance
drinking and never getting a hangover
being in love and never getting your heart broken

Last edited by a moderator: