• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why do I taste lighter fluid when I smoke?

Smoke 420 Weed

Ex-Bluelighter
When I smoke using my homemade gravity bong (normal water bottle and bucket) and there's barely any left in the bowl so I get a really small hit I always taste lighter fluid. I never really paid any attention to it, but the other day I had this thought that kinda worried me. Lighter fluid is an inhalant. If I can taste it, that might mean there's enough to be damaging. I can't tell if it's enough to get me high or not because I'd already be high on weed and have never used lighter fluid, or any inhalant, to get high( nor do I want to or ever plan to) so I don't know what it feels like. I think the reason why i can only taste it when there's barely any smoke is because the taste of the weed covers it, so it's probably the same amount of lighter fluid every hit, not just the tiny ones. When I light it, I continue lighting it until I've pulled the bottle the whole way up and it's full. Is that the reason why I taste it? Is it enough to cause any harm?

EDIT: A few times there was some weed left in the bowl but part of it fell through so half the bowl was empty horizontally, like if you were looking at it from the top there would be weed across it in the middle and 2 empty holes on the sides, and I was too lazy to repack it so when I lit it I got a significant hit but tasted lighter fluid very strongly too. I think this means the weed doesn't ever cover up the taste and you're only inhaling lighter fluid when there's too little weed to burn and/or stop the lighter fluid from going through and into the bottle.

Last edited:
I'm wondering this too; I also often taste lighter fluid .. How damaging is this?

Dunno, maybe.
I hate the taste though. If I'm using a bic or something I just light till I get a bit of a cherry and that's it. Find it conserves a bit, and less of that taste. I wanna get one of those jet lighters again, I hear they burn more cleanly.

many standard butane lighters don't burn all of the gas... use a good torch lighter and never have that taste again. I have a Vaporgenie and without the torch, it would fucking suck.

Ahh when i smoked, i would notice it sometimes too, im sure it happens everytime but i only noticed it sometimes, the taste of good weed would usually mask the fluid taste. On that note, im not sure what causes it but i would say it could be from using too cheap of a lighter, having too big of a flame or holding the flame for too long. Try using hemp wick to smoke, you can get feet of it for only a few bucks online, just keep the wick wrapped around your lighter and light the wick when you wanna smoke, the flame is the same size as on a lighter, problem solved, it's for sure healthier too, also i don't know what kind of damage inhaling fluid could cause you but i imagine it would cause some sort of lung or throat damage over time, but if you insist on using a lighter get a mini torch, they burn clean, or maybe try a Djeep or clipper brand lighter and see if that helps, because looking back now, i barely noticed that butane taste when i used those brands, honestly it was a bic or one of those cheap lighters that seemed to leak the most butane out.. But i for sure recommend you hemp wick, go get you some...

Last edited:
I use clipper lighters religiously. Are those a good choice? I like that it is harder to torch a bowl with a clipper than a typical bic lighter, plus they come in cool designs and are refillable/reflintable.

I paid more attention while I smoked my most recent bowl and I find I do only taste fluid towards the end of the bowl. I'm thinking its because there is less weed to burn so it goes through the pipe, though I'm sure it always does, the weed masks the taste for the most part. I often taste fluid when I'm lighting a cigarette and take the first drag.