• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol why do i have such bad anxiety on hangovers? does it have to do with GABA?

ovo1024

Bluelighter
So for me personally my hangovers only consist of a fat headache and bad anxiety like I feel like I'm on the verge of a panic attack for the first few hours of being awake and through the day it progressively gets better. I've had anxiety problems for years and have self medicated with benzos for years tho never been dependent. Any insight on this?

You still taking the benzos? Sorta sounds as if the situation isn't to be completely unexpected. Some people experience anxiety more-so than others as an after effect with alcohol.

I'm just speaking with knowledge of my own anxiety and the way it manifested through drugs and 'convenient thinking'.

Is the anxiety just becoming more of a concern recently with the way it relates differently with a hangover? Either way I think you should try seeking some sort of comfort/peace of mind - dunno if you want to go and see a doctor or health professional about it, but, they might be able to give you some actual insight - as opposed to just stating what you already know is contributing to it.

gl yo

I've blasted my GABA receptors for years from various GABAeric drugs and can confirm that my hangovers usually involve me being an anxious mess.

So maybe it's just GABAergic drugs that do this? Like it's some form of rebound anxiety?

They (GABAergics) don't help. You are in for a hot mess, if you continue to mix(assuming here) higher dose benzos or any amount really, with alcohol. Your brain is only going to play benzo/alcohol for so long, until you get results like you have now. Also, when your using any drug, especially hangover shit, use Gatorade or more water.

I can relate to this. I'm not typically a high anxiety person, but when I used drink, like you, the next day I experienced high anxiety. It got to where the benefit did not outweigh the drawbacks. Thus, I quit drinking back in January. I imagine I will experience more rebound anxiety now that Kratom is about to be off the table. It's been a nice go-to for me. I see sober days ahead in my future. Meh.

Sounds like rebound anxiety to me. Taking xanax for years is probably the culprit.

for months after i kicked my etizolam habit i had the same thing as you; unbearable, terrifying hangovers. just go easy on yourself fella, sorry i can't help more

yeah definitely rebound anxiety. I never was addicted to gabaergics, and even when my panic disorder was at it's peak, I didn't use benzos on a regular basis, but still, when I was heavily drunk, I'll have some anxiety the day after.

I get crippling anxiety to the point I contemplate suicide the day after using too much gaba drugs. it's the worst thing ever.

Just to clarify by what I meant about self medicating with benzos, I'm talking once a week use but in high doses like 8mg clonazepam in a day then getting drunk a couple other nights of the week. I never was dependent or took benzos more then 2 days in a row

Drinking alcohol on the nights you didn't take a benzo, is just as good as taking a benzo, they're cross tolerant.

Drinking alcohol on the nights you didn't take a benzo, is just as good as taking a benzo, they're cross tolerant.

Yes I know they are cross tolerant to a certain degree but it's not the same as talking benzos.

^ You're right, its not the exact same thing, but they both modulate your GABA systems.. It's this over stimulation in which I think your rebound symptoms are derived from imho.

Yeah I'm the same, but then again, I rarely drink enough in one night to get a hangover the next day, I'm perfectly content with a buzz instead...