• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why do benzos cause depression...long term?

belfort

Bluelighter
I've read in many different places that long term benzo use usually causes depression but why exactly?what is going on that causes the depression?ive noticed that when I take a benzo my anxiety is much lower but at the same time it seems like I'm unable to feel a real positive mood while under the influence of a benzo..do benzos interfere with serotonin or dopamine?whats going on here?

I think it depends on the benzo I once took 40mg of valium and I sure was in a happy place in my head but forgot half the night lol. Also tolerance is a factor if you have a tolerance it won't give the same euphoric effects just like how opiods work.

just a guess, but benzos can cause depression because they are CNS depressants

The carefree euphoria doesn't necessarily persist when its taken long term and the constant sedation can become oppressive feeling, especially if your doing it not out of pleasure but out of avoiding withdrawal. Chronic sedation also makes you less interested in life and rewarding activities.

I have been on them for quite some time and only experienced a slight depression for a short period of time, then I felt better.