• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

why did sertraline/zoloft make my thinking faster?

It felt like I imagine a dopamine kick would be... I was taking high dosages of this drug and it made me think/thoughts so much faster like I expect adderall would do. So I checked the wikipedia and it says Sertraline inhibits the dopamine transporter. But it was amazing... my thought went 100 miles an hour and I could think of stuff so fast... so thats how adderall and or ritalin would feel like probably stronger... I need to get me some of that..

heres what I know correct me if I am wrong:So inhibiting the dopamine transporter makes the dopamine stay for longer outside something, does that mean if you inhibit the DAT that you increase the expression of all the dopamine receptors ?

Sertraline is a potent dopamine reuptake inhibitor with a potency roughly equivalent to methylphenidate(IC50 20 nmol). However, because of it's extremely high plasma protein binding, which is roughly 99% with only 1% of the sertraline being available, it is not a dopamine reuptake inhibitor at the normal therapeutic doses of 100-200 milligrams per day. You would need to take doses over 1,000 milligrams per day to obtain any significant DRI. Even though sertraline is as potent as methylphenidate(Ritalin) for inhibiting the reuptake of dopamine, because of the extremely poor plasma bioavailability of sertraline, you would need to take 2,000 mg or 10 pills of the highest dose of sertraline to obtain the DRI effect of just one 10 milligram Ritalin pill. The problem with taking such a dose of sertraline is that you are risking serotonin syndrome, since sertraline is almost 100 X more potent for inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin than dopamine. If you want increased dopamine, then you should take a potent DRI like methylphenidate or at least bupropion. Now, bupropion is a weak DRI(IC50 6.5 Um). But because it has much lower protein binding than sertraline, you should at least get some extra dopamine via dopamine reuptake inhibition at the highest daily clinical doses. It is much more potent as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, but it does have weak dopamine reuptake inhibition properties at high doses.