• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Why did barbs overtake chloral hydrate?

the_void

Bluelighter
Is it cuz barbs are more portable as tablets rather than liquid chloral, even though chloral is less fatal (i THINK i read chloral is less fatal)

Last edited:
Chloral hydrate kills liver cells and probably causes cancer.
Barbiturates on the other hand have lower chance of liver injury and they are also more potent.

Also i think a lot of the impetus for moving away from older drugs like chloral hydrate was the boom in medical tech at the time. Everyone back then wanted to find the next big drug/treatment/technique and there were lax restrictions in place.

But yea fr chloral hydrate is toxic af.

Yeah Chloral Hydrate was kind of a nasty drug. The 1800's version of a date rape drug. Or criminal knock out drug. Never had it.

But I will say the dangers attributed to barbiturates are overated. Yes we lost a lot of people. But I am willing to bet that if someone follows the doctors orders, takes their Seconal as prescribed a half hour before bed at the dosage prescribed they would be fine. There are many meds that are not psychoactive that if taken in larger doses would be toxic. Yes i know it is dangerous in drug addicts hands. But so are a lot of other drugs. Responsibility is what is needed with all drugs.

The word was when Dalmane and Valium replaced my neighbor's mothers seconal and nembutal was that they were much harder to OD on. It seemed to start in 1980. But 1985 I never saw another seconal.

Lastly phenobarb and butalbital should not be considered valid barbs for recreation. They never were. Nembutal, amytal and secobarbital were the recreational ones. But when it comes to recreation the way people keep popping benzos then they should stay away from barbs. Not that any are accessible these days.

Last edited:
Even if barbs weren't better (and they are superior in many ways) think about the taste and smell of chloral hydrate. I haven't tried it myself, but I bet that's some awful shit compared to a nice little innocuous pill.

the other posters are correct - but also - chloral hydrate is EVEN MORE damaging to GABA systems than barbs are, and had a tendency to do tons of
damage and produce extremely wicked, quick onset withdrawals etc. It's just an awful, damaging, cancer causing substance so as soon as they had
another option, they jumped on it.

Considering chloral was just concentrated alcohol, it is no surprise that the effects are as devastating as they are. EtOH also causes cancer so no surprise that Chloral does the same thing.

Barbs are pretty bad though, and benzos have since sent them packing.

Pain-o-soma, Carisoprodol is apparently like a barbiturate, well it's metabolised into meprobamate, a barbiturate like drug, so that's the closest I'll get to trying a barb lol, I can't see barbs being this weak as these somas, they're meant to be a pain killer, but it's in the benzodiazepine family of drugs, so it's a bit of a weird one

I had chloral hydrate from eBay once. It was really bad for sleeping, even alcohol works better. Thats why the barbiturates took over, they are more reliable.