Policy Why Cheap Generic Drugs Are Harder to Find

RUC4

Bluelighter

Why Cheap Generic Drugs Are Harder to Find

Pain News Network
By Dr. Geoffrey Joyce
27 July 2023

Excerpts:

Past public ire over high drug prices has recently taken a back seat to a more insidious problem – no drugs at any price.

Patients and their providers increasingly face limited or nonexistent supplies of drugs, many of which treat essential conditions such as cancer, heart disease and bacterial infections. The American Society of Health System Pharmacists now lists over 300 active shortages, primarily of decades-old generic drugs no longer protected by patents.
...more than 15 critical drug products in short supply for over a decade.
shortages include widely known drugs such as the antibiotic amoxicillin; the heart medicine digoxin; the anesthetic lidocaine; and the medicine albuterol, which is critical for treating asthma and other diseases affecting the lungs and airways.

(TLDR?)
Summary:
The U.S. is grappling with a growing issue of drug shortages, especially concerning essential generics. Over 300 drugs are currently in short supply, many being vital, decades-old generics. This scarcity is attributed to the capitalist model: brand-name drugs are profitable, but generic drugs offer minimal profit, leading companies to outsource production to countries like India and China. Outsourcing poses quality control challenges and increases supply chain vulnerability, as seen during the COVID-19 pandemic. Quality concerns in generic production have resulted in recalls and legal actions. Solutions might include domestic generic drug production, as California is pioneering with a local insulin production initiative.

At my last visit to my PM she asked "Have you had any problems with your pharmacy having Percocet in stock?" Because I hadn't had any issues I answered "No" She replied "Well then stick with them". Looking back, I realize I should have asked the obvious question "Have people been having trouble filling their prescriptions?" Hindsight and all..
So my fill date finally arrived. I left the house early enough so I'd arrive a few minutes after they opened (to beat the long wait times that come as more people turn scripts in), drove the 30 miles to the pharmacy and, thinking I'd be out in 20 minutes, sauntered up to the counter. I handed over my license and the script only to see the pharmacist frown and say "These are on backorder". Because such a common drug like Percocet is never out of stock at my pharmacy, I asked "Is there a problem getting them?" She then told me that there is a nationwide shortage of Percocet, Lortab and, oddly, Adderall. She said there was no ETA for when they'd have them but did tell me they had 10mg Oxycodone, the kind without the buffer. I called the doctors office and had to leave a message for a nurse to call me :confused:. Figuring I could check a nearby place while I was waiting, I drove there and went in to ask. Of course they didn't have any in stock either. When I got outside I checked my phone and saw I had a missed call from the doctors office. I had not heard it ring. Calling them back I couldn't just get transferred to the back, I had to again leave a message for someone to return my call!:mad: I decided to just wait rather then risk missing the call so I sat there for maybe 20 minutes before they called. After explaining my situation and how the pharmacy had the same medicine without the buffer, the nurse said she would send a message to the doctor and call my back, eventually. So I drove to maybe 5 other stores and noone had Percocet. So after 5 hours, I was able to swap scripts out and get it filled. This is total bullshit! I can't believe they have just run out of opiates needed to make these medicines. There's no way! Given how little doctors are prescribing any pain medicine, we have to be using a lot less total then even 5 years ago so there's got to be something else going on. Are they using it to make Fentanyl to cause more overdoses??? Surely the CIA has enough Fentanyl, Cocaine and Heroin to sell that they don't need the domestic ingredients. It's been bad enough how the government continues to insert it's bloated self into the Doctor-Patient relationship, but this is too much!

Is anyone else having trouble getting their meds? And have you heard anything about a solution?? I just have trouble buying the excuse that some nebulous problem "over there" has resulted in this issue. Companies, on my experience, would rather make less and get a sale then to make nothing at all. Meaning that sure they are selling panted name brand medicine, and they appear to be shrugging their shoulders saying "Oh well. It's a supply problem", so we'll just lose sales month after month after month.

If this continues then pain medicine patients, hell patients in general need to band together and start protesting at their elected "representatives" offices and news stations! :need drugs:

Last edited: