• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Who Started Over in a New Place and has Sage Advice

jboomer

Bluelighter
I guess I'll rundown my history right quick first. I'm 33, Sooner born and bred. Through K-12, my identifiers were "really smart" and "likes books." Not good at social stuff, didn't really care I had a lot of A's. Went to a residential magnet school at the end of grade school. The transition to being "out" (as gay) was made really easy as at college I could just say "duh" and move on. Learned how to make friends/people like me and did not realize how much I was putting at stake and losing by spending all my time with them instead of studying. Tons of booze and coke, a few hallucinogens. Five years later, scholarships gone, I owe the school money and can't take classes, had been failing one or two classes a semester. Somehow kept myself from digesting it all until I started working full time - what I had let myself lose.

I had always been in restaurants part time, and there I stayed for the next ten years. I wouldn't say I was unhappy, I worked up to GM, hated it, went back to serving and slowly but surely all the while built a relationship with Tina. That Bitch. Really only hit one bad bad patch in the last five years, could ebb fairly out if my usage got to be "too much."

There was usually a boy involved at the beginning of my usage but when I moved up in the restaurant world, I would use for energy and justify it as such. Pretty much lost the next four jobs over the next four years due missing shifts because I accidentally got too high. I had zero chill back then. Got myself back sober for almost two years and then started a warehouse job where I didn't have to talk to anybody so started using again, but much heavier.

Lost that job, and have been on unemployment for three months. I got fired over some bullshit but that bullshit has enabled me to pay off my back taxes I owe so I can fill out a FAFSA and start fresh on another Bachelors' and have enough left over to move anywhere I want, which I've been talking about doing ever since I left college.

I'm about two months away from my goal of being moved by the first of September, and I could use any anecdotes or advise any one has. I want to be in a midlarge city 500,000 to a million, or just a little smaller. I would really like to be in a capitol city as I'm fairly politically minded and intend to stay as such. And I need a strong public transportation system as I plan on using to get around for the first year at least. I lost my car and license here three years ago and I've made it work ok with rides from family to help, and I really dont have a desire to own a car again. I think DC is going to be my ultimate goal as a place to live.

So my shortlist includes Nashville, Cleveland, Iowa City, Baltimore, Durham, Grand Rapids, and Madison. I'm afraid if I go to too big a city it will be too much and I'll go back home. I've been living back at my parents' for the past three years, so I'm spoiled with a place to stay free of charge and foodstuffs. I know it's gonna be rough for me for awhile. But I need to make sure I set myself up to get rent paid every month on server wage.

I'm also Very open to hear any thoughts on online universities. I was all set to choose Independence University and get a Bachelors in Medical Management, until recently I started trying to browse statistics on other universities and came across some very unpleasant ones at Independence, including a ninety percent default loan rate. I've pretty much decided to go the admin route instead of practicing as an RN or LPN or whatever, but don't actually know a ton about the types of jobs this kind of degree sets you up for, and how easy they are to come by after graduation with a Bachelors'

Thanks for Anything!

Hi,
Started afresh and moved *thousands of times and the most effective advice I can give is to not lose ones confidence and to stay your self.... this will make things as if nothing has changed.
When I have moved to a *strange place I would always walk the neighborhood for days to familiarize myself with surroundings.
After all: People are the same everywhere and not a whole lot is different; stay aware and alert.
Love meeting *new people but am a loner and it is for self-growth mainly.
Maybe this is not what one was seeking to read but i tried.
<3