• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Which of these is the best alternative to Diazepam?

Ripplyuk

Bluelighter
I’m going through a particularly stressful time due to a family situation and my doctor prescribed some diazepam 5mg to take as needed. I absolutely love diazepam. So much so, I don’t want to take it again. I know that sounds strange but I’ve only taken it a few times in my entire life, (literally a few pills) specifically because I do not want to gain ANY tolerance to it and lose the comfort of knowing it will work brilliantly when I desperately need it. I’ve only taken one pill out of this box and I’d prefer to find an alternative.

I have Baclofen, Chlorpromazine, Gabapentin and zopiclone. Would any of these do the same job? I have no idea about dosages/combinations. I need something to reduce (or ideally eliminate) anxiety, emotionally numb me as much as possible and some anterograde amnesia would be helpful for the next few weeks. I know diazepam is perfect for this but I want to save it.

Also, would the Baclofen and Gabapentin cause problems because they target the same receptors as Diazepam? Could there be a sort of ‘cross-over’ tolerance buildup? I definitely don’t want that to happen.

you definitely do not want to use a gaba agent daily to the point of amnesia. You are right to be so covetous over the valium. the gaba receptor is very susceptible to damage from most of the GABA PAMs.
none of those will do the same thing valium will, baclofen will not induce such a state, thorazine and similar anti-psychotics are uncomfortable, carry risk of tardive dyskenisia, gabapentin will not induce such a state, zopiclone might but once again is a GABA agent,
two weeks of which steady will result in some physical addiction and withdrawals, which are awful. GABA agent withdrawals are much worse than those from opioids.

so the only real option out of those for "two weeks of sedative narcosis" is the thorazine, but I would honestly recommend not doing any of that. and I gotta ask, why do you need to "eliminate anxiety, numb emotion and make you forget" for two weeks?

if it's anticipation of something traumatic, I would strongly suggest looking at a propranolol prescription, and doing some other work to prepare mentally and have mostly non-chemical solutions to the problem.
any time you are numbing yourself out of reality you are using some heavy drugs that will have serious consequences :/

I am not advising you do this... but if you are set on chemically inducing a state of being 100% carefree and amnesic for a week or two, and want to basically avoid the next two weeks (that's what it seems like you're trying to do, correct me if I'm wrong), I would imagine that getting a very long acting, very strong, but often lesser known RC/designer benzo such as flubromazolam or clonazolam could very easily make you forget days at a time. These are not prescription medications though and you would need to obtain them off of research chemical websites or the darkweb, but will work better than a few 5mg Valium as far as essentially making you not give a damn about anything and making you not remember days at a time.

**These are also known to be VERY DANGEROUS and STRONG benzos. If you were to get them, don't plan on going anywhere for the two weeks you're trying to get through. No car, no work, no nothing. Get a babysitter that will prevent you from making a fool of yourself. Otherwise, you'll likely wake up one day with a dozen people pissed off at you and having lost your job having no recollection of what happened, if not wake up in jail questioning the same thing

you definitely do not want to use a gaba agent daily to the point of amnesia. You are right to be so covetous over the valium. the gaba receptor is very susceptible to damage from most of the GABA PAMs.
none of those will do the same thing valium will, baclofen will not induce such a state, thorazine and similar anti-psychotics are uncomfortable, carry risk of tardive dyskenisia, gabapentin will not induce such a state, zopiclone might but once again is a GABA agent,
two weeks of which steady will result in some physical addiction and withdrawals, which are awful. GABA agent withdrawals are much worse than those from opioids.

so the only real option out of those for "two weeks of sedative narcosis" is the thorazine, but I would honestly recommend not doing any of that. and I gotta ask, why do you need to "eliminate anxiety, numb emotion and make you forget" for two weeks?

if it's anticipation of something traumatic, I would strongly suggest looking at a propranolol prescription, and doing some other work to prepare mentally and have mostly non-chemical solutions to the problem.
any time you are numbing yourself out of reality you are using some heavy drugs that will have serious consequences :/
Unfortunately I can’t take propranolol as it lowers my already low heart rate to a dangerous level. I already do all the usual healthy options to reduce anxiety. Lots of daily exercise, good sleep hygiene etc. It is nowhere near enough for this situation. I spent 6 days shaking, vomiting, crying, not sleeping and with painful heart palpitations before asking my doc for the diazepam.

Have you considered seroquel for two weeks ,it’s definitely capable of letting you sit back and watch the world pass you by,that’s the way it made me feel the month or two I was on 25-50 mg I don’t remember which,the insurance company stopped it pretty quick and said it causes weight gain and diabetes…

I am not advising you do this... but if you are set on chemically inducing a state of being 100% carefree and amnesic for a week or two, and want to basically avoid the next two weeks (that's what it seems like you're trying to do, correct me if I'm wrong), I would imagine that getting a very long acting, very strong, but often lesser known RC/designer benzo such as flubromazolam or clonazolam could very easily make you forget days at a time. These are not prescription medications though and you would need to obtain them off of research chemical websites or the darkweb, but will work better than a few 5mg Valium as far as essentially making you not give a damn about anything and making you not remember days at a time.

**These are also known to be VERY DANGEROUS and STRONG benzos. If you were to get them, don't plan on going anywhere for the two weeks you're trying to get through. No car, no work, no nothing. Get a babysitter that will prevent you from making a fool of yourself. Otherwise, you'll likely wake up one day with a dozen people pissed off at you and having lost your job having no recollection of what happened, if not wake up in jail questioning the same t
The research chemicals are tempting but I don’t have anyone who can keep an eye on me. Also, I will have to interact with people over these next few weeks. People who I prefer to avoid.

Have you considered seroquel for two weeks ,it’s definitely capable of letting you sit back and watch the world pass you by,that’s the way it made me feel the month or two I was on 25-50 mg I don’t remember which,the insurance company stopped it pretty quick and said it causes weight gain and diabetes…
I can’t get any seroquel but maybe the chlorpromazine would be much the same, since they’re both antipsychotics? I had a terrible reaction to risperidone. One small dose left me wailing like a banshee for 18hrs with no memory of the next day. It’s made me a bit nervous about the newer antipsychotics.

At the risk of prying, what is the situation?

I guess I would suggest...opiates? If you don't fancy that, kratom. You will give less of a fuck. We're into the realm of bad ideas here but I think you know that already.

I actually have the same attitude to diazepam. I've got it as kind of a ... Break Glass solution in case I need it. It is comforting knowing it is there and it works. Maybe that'll be what you need right now.

At the risk of prying, what is the situation?

I guess I would suggest...opiates? If you don't fancy that, kratom. You will give less of a fuck. We're into the realm of bad ideas here but I think you know that already.
I don’t want to give full details as it would be identifying but it basically involves potential bereavement mixed with a complicated history of abusive family members. I was in a somewhat similar situation previously and didn’t take any drugs, thinking it was unhealthy to alter normal emotional processes. It was one of the worst mistakes of my life. Over a decade later, I’m still haunted by it. I’ve learnt my lesson and I intend to numb myself as much as possible with this. I’d prefer it was all a complete blur tbh, but I’ll need to be capable of interacting with others at times.

I have oxycodone. Would that be suitable? I guess the only way to know is to try these things. Any idea about dosage?

Also, could anyone tell me if Gabapentin will create benzo tolerance? I know it apparently doesn’t target gaba receptors but with a name like that, it must do something to them! If nothing else works I will take the diazepam and I don’t want to suddenly find that it doesn’t work anymore after messing about with gabapentin.

If you take diazepam or oxycodone for two weeks, you will end up with a habit , or the beginning of one - are you really willing to make that life changing of a plunge over this?? If the situation is that damaging I would honestly avoid it like the plague regardless of social consequence and explain the level of damage I would incur… failing all of that, the oxy will be easier to kick than a gaba drug and none of the other stuff mentioned will come close. Sorry you in this situation. Using drugs as emotional shields winds up creating very bad drug habits

i would prepare a letter, send my best and sincerest regards over those that have passed, explain that I would love to be there, but the mental health damages i would incur (could name the abusers/situation or not) would not be ok for me,
so I regrettably have to sit it out. Send all my love/regret to whomever, and move forward w my life.

i would prepare a letter, send my best and sincerest regards over those that have passed, explain that I would love to be there, but the mental health damages i would incur (could name the abusers/situation or not) would not be ok for me,
so I regrettably have to sit it out. Send all my love/regret to whomever, and move forward w my life.
That’s not an option. It’s a complicated situation and avoiding it entirely will put me in danger. I’m trying to protect myself as best I can.

well... fuck. if it were really like that, id just get drunk the whole time. it's a good emotional shield, and of all the options you've presented it will 1) do the job and 2) you can do it pretty steady for a couple of weeks an titrate down and not be that much the worse off. I'd take that over the rebound of benzos or opioids, or the dumbness of thorazine. the others would not get close to producing the result you want.

It sounds like you're saving the diaz until there's a true need for its services so you don't compromise the effects due to tolerance etc.

It also sounds like this is a/the time when you'd be well looked after by the diaz (not that I'm advising you directly to take it), so your stance doesn't make much sense to me. You also seem averse to any advice even though you've requested it.

It sounds like you're saving the diaz until there's a true need for its services so you don't compromise the effects due to tolerance etc.

It also sounds like this is a/the time when you'd be well looked after by the diaz (not that I'm advising you directly to take it), so your stance doesn't make much sense to me. You also seem averse to any advice even though you've requested it.
I’m not sure why you think I’m ‘averse to any advice’ 🤔. I have liked every post here from people giving advice.

You are right that this is probably the time in my life when I need the diazepam the most. I just want to make sure I’ve exhausted all other options before doing that. Also, there might be days when a less effective alternative would be enough, which would mean I can keep my diazepam usage to a minimum. I understand it seems non-sensical to have a drug that works great and not want to take it but I get a lot of comfort from knowing I have it in reserve for when all else fails. I will lose that comfort if I ruin my zero tolerance by taking it constantly for a few weeks.

it won't ruin your tolerance permanently, but try to keep dose as low as possible or you're gonna end up with far more to worry about than ruining your tolerance my friend

I'd personally suggest some kind of therapy and/or meditation or relaxation breathing techniques over the medication in any case tbh