• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Which drug is worse for your brain: DXM or benzo's?

Memantine

Bluelighter
I find both drugs usefull for social anxiety. But I am afraid to lose all my intelligence to all these drugs I take. So does anybod know which is worse for your brain? Benzo's or (low 150-300mg) doses of DXM?

In my opinion both. If you are on antidepressants and taking DXM you can cause serotonin syndrome.

Benzodiazepine overdoses are more likely to be fatal. But so can dxm. Depends on what benzos you are taking aswell.

I.e 5mg valium vs 300mg dxm. The dxm will be more life threatening and dangerous.

But taking 10mg xanax (or 50mg diazepam) vs 300mg dxm. The benos will be much more dangerous

I found dxm to make my anxiety worse personally.

I have to take high doses of benzo's to eliminate my social anxiety. Like 2-3mg alprazolam or 60-100mg temazepam.

Maby you are CYP2D6 deficient if DXM makes you very anxious. DXM itself has an SNRI effect while DXO is the NMDA antagonist. I have succesfully taken clonidine 30 minutes before DXM to decrease the anxiety that comes with the DXM come-up (tachycardia mainly).

I woudn't be that worried about losing your intelligence unless you are using on a daily basis for a long time.

If you are then I would suggest you may be doing cognitive damage...especially your ability to learn and recall information.

Moderation and u should be fine.

If you use high dose DXM for as long and often as you would a benzo then the dextromethorphan would be considerably more neurotoxic.

I've read recently how klonopin causes long term dementia!! Nothing to be thrilled about!