• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Which beta blockers do you think work the best ( for anxiety)

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
My psych doctor offered to try me on a Beta Blocker because even with my current meds I'm still getting anxious and experiencing chest pain from all the stress.
He said he has a couple in mind but (he knows I'm really interested in pharmacology and also that I like to feel a sense of control when it comes to what I put in my body) he said do some reading online or do a little research on the different options and then we'll have a discussion/compromise at next weeks appointment.

Have any of you guys been on one or more beta blockers? What was your experience with them?

I've used Propranalol several years ago but felt it didn't do much for me, even at a high dose of 160mg/day.
I've used Bisoprolol several times but never more than 2 days at a time. I really feel like it helped quite well.

I think the other ones my doc might choose are: Atenolol, Metorprolol, Carteolol...the probably more out there too.

I've only known people to use them as performance enhancing drugs (like musicians to not get nervous).

They definitely work, I'm just concerned that the effects would not last long enough and also people report that they make them feel robotic and steal their personality away from becoming so dull. I've got some sitting in my drawer.

I know this post is not very helpful but there's good and bad adrenaline. Even with meds no one is going to be calm and relaxed all the time. There's definitely beyond normal levels of anxiety that many people struggle with, but if the beta blockers do not work it might be helpful to keep scheming on options. They are very helpful for short term situations for controlling your heart rate/nerves though, yet I can't see beta blockers being useful for any long term anxiety though like klonopin or something.

As far as anxiety really goes--we've yet to create treatment options that are totally effective. Benzos tend to have horrible rebound anxiety/unwanted sedation. etc. Ironically socializing and following through with plans and having an active social life alleviates anxiety ;) Many drug users tend to cancel plans with people haha.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your specific question, but you might find something of interest here:
I especially like the recent articles on kava. Hope you do, too!