• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Which antipsychotic to use for emotional numbing?

fugme

Bluelighter
Before knights with holier than thou attitude comment, i want to clarify i would use them on extremely rare occasions, if at all; and yes i know that's not the right way to deal with life's problems, but we're on a drug related forum aren't we?

My main goal is to have some available when i *really* need it. I have made a similar thread in the past but unfortunately didn't get many useful answers, because my question was not specifically limited to antipsychotics.

I would like to get an opinion from people who have used these medications, doesn't matter if long term or occasionally like for psychedelic comedown and have experience to share.

Unfortunately this kind of medication is not easily illegally available, because there is basically no market for it. I am mainly interested in following ones, since they are bit easier to acquire: sulpride, tiapride, cariprazine (?), zuclopenthixol, lithium (?) etc. other suggestions are welcome.

Sulpride almost sounds like a perfect solution since it has short half-life and no affinity for histamine and muscarinic receptors..

I don't want antipsychotics with high histamine antagonism, because unless you use them continuously (as opposed on need basis) they're extremely sedating. So stuff like quetiapine, olanzapine, chlorpromazine etc. are out of the question. I have already tried quetiapine once in dose 25mg and antihistaminic effects were HORRIBLE. Even after 8+ hours of sleep i felt the effects 18 hours since ingestion.

thank you and have a nice day

Thank you for this informative post!

Yeah, the emotional flatlining would be an appopriate description of what i'm trying to achieve..

i didn't know quetapine had such an effect (on you), iirc people use it to knock themselves out after doing heavy psychadellics, since it's mostly anthistaminic in low dosages and high dosages the blockade of neurotransmitters starts to happen which should increase the sedation, at least that's what i read about it on forums from people that took high dosages. Is it possible that it might affects people differently? Too bad i threw my entire box into the trash after few attempts with 25mg dosages. Granted, i did it before sleep, to see the efficiacy of helping with insomnia (of course antipsychotics are probably the last meds one should be taking for sleep), so that probably made it more sedating that usually.

That study is definitely very useful, i always knew blocking dopamine will result in some somnolence, but i never knew it's not all about antihistamine receptor affinity like the study suggests. To bad some lesser known antipsychotics don't have complete binding affinity (easily) available and so i included tiapride, which it turns out is one of the most sedating ones :D

Thanks for the heads up about lithium, so i can straight up avoid it. I don't want to take something for weeks in order to feel this effect, for me best case scenario would be something that brings instant relief, without the need to medicate daily.

Cannabis is a decent drug, altho i've never tried it for this purpose i think it might be due to dissociative effects? Or maybe just mental relaxation like taking benzos? Either way, i have tried benzos and narcotics and emotional numbness as a side effect cannot compare to dissociatives, which are imo the most emotional-pain numbing or straight up emotionally numbing (PCP analogs) drugs i've ever taken. Haven't tried actual PCP yet but 3-meo-pcp was the most numbing dissociative i've ever tried. The effect tends to build up so taking moderate single doses 2-3 days in a row really brings out the emotional numbness or flatlining as you would call it which lasts for days after. Of course that probably still cannot compare to heavy hitter class of antipsychotics which is the reason i want to have them in my stash.

You want emotional numbing take 3/4mg of risperidone at night time then wake up in the morning you won't care or love anyone. Dont get me wrong you will still love them in your head like you love your mother but you won't feel it in your heart at all, like someone you care about deeply could die and after taking one of those tablets you will just think in your head oh well and carry on with your day and won't brake down in tear later because the pain and emotion won't kick, been on it most my life to calm my extreme emotions and was only antipsychotic that worked, but you can kiss your sex life Down the drain and you won't feel any sensitivity on your bell end at all for months till your body gets used to it. Think it took me over 6 months of continuous taking of the risperidone for body to get some what used to it before I could even cum again as I would just go limp. Oh and the weight gone went from 10 stone to 18 stone in 6 months and got the stech marks to prove it, so if you take it beware of all the above I've told ya

I have no experience with antipsychotics, but a benzo and dissociation through sheer self-propaganda/conditioning works well enough for my purposes. Until it's time to face conscious reality, anyway...

For what it's worth, sertraline turned me into a robot. I was so numb and disconnected from everything, I couldn't even feel my body. I just wasn't there. That was my first experience with dissociation, rather scary, until I learnt of its usefulness and figured out how to make it happen myself without the pretentious help of big pharma. Agency/autonomy is huge and I will always stand by that.

Why take these poisons and risk extrapyramidal side effects which are permanent, if you plan on only using the occasionaly?

Then just use a strong dose of benzos if you don't plan to use the consistently. You don't risk staying with a permanently open mouth that will never close, and since you don't plan on using the habitualy you won't become dependent either.

I don't know for me if there is one substance I am scared as fuck to ever put in my system it is antipsychotics and I have taken all kinds of drugs in my lifetime

OP I have never used really any of the APs you mentioned and have barely heard of them so I'm not familiar.

I will say that out of the 4 I've used, Aripiprazole, haloperidol, olanzapine, and quetiapine, quetiapine is my favorite, as its functional and great for many different purposes. I have taken it in doses from 50mg - 300mg, and it can be used for sleep, for mood stabilization, and just for a trip-killer/comedown soother. I'm not sure why you're against this type of med, but to me, it had the least side effects with the most benefits. Taking it in high doses daily though will usually lead to a little weight gain and some emotional blunting.

Currently I take 100mg, occasionally when I think I need it. For months I was on 200mg daily, and before that it was 300mg daily. It helped keep me stable, I just got tired of not feeling things.

Also quetiapine is one that is least likely to lead to those horror story side effects like TD and stuff like that.

Chlorpromazine isn't one of the histaminergic ones and works well for what you want.

Quetiapine, too, and it only has that histaminergic/sedation effect at very low to low doses. Over 100mg the histamine effects being to decrease significantly and it's vastly reduced above 200mg. I find more than a 300mg (or so) dose stops the histaminergic sedation completely but it will still numb your emotions like you want. I actually find taking high dose (like 600mg+) is somewhat stimulating and stops me from being able to sleep.

I think there is possibly a more nuanced and helpful answer out there if we knew a bit more about ‘emotional flatling’ means for OP and whether certain particular emotions are more problematic than others.

I had two psychotic breaks mostly associated with relationships. Actual ones I had and the standards and ideals I had in my head about how they should work and what you should get out of them.

Emotions like despair, deseration, fear, anxiety, hopelessness, grief all rolled through and I had no ability at all to control them. ‘Extreme Emotional Lability’ is what the doctor wrote on my chart.

Anyway, I tried many of the APs on the list and rejected all of them as sedating or imparing me cognitively such that I could not work.

I saw a new psych and his advice was that that kind of emotional lability was a symptom of obsessive only OCD comorbid with ADHD. He put me on a combination of Abilify and dexamfetamine and within a week I was a completly new person emotionally speaking.

My emotions were all there and they still registered to approriate stimuli. Only now they were dialed back to 1 and nothing could shift them past 2. Prior to that many had reached about 12 and a dial that maxes out at 10. Hence the psychosis.

Abilify is quite stimulating rather than sedating and it works in somewhat different ways to the other 2nd gen AP’s. I read a couple of journal articles arguing it should be thought of as 3rd gen.

What I liked about it was that you are still entirely mentally functional in all ways but much much more in charge about what your mind is doing. Everything is toned down and low key. I never once lost control or even said anything rashly or foolishly before I properly thought it through.

However, I belive the benefits are only there if you take it daily. It doesn’t work for acute problems. There is also a bit of evidence that the neuroadaptive changes it causes in cetain regions of the brain are permanent. Certainly after taking it for close to 5 years I stayed the same low key controlled person it made me long after I quit.

Thank you all for sharing valuable knowledge and your own experiences, now i have plenty of more information in my arsenal and i will revisit this thread multiple times in the future when i'm done dealing with benzo withdrawals.

To the person that mentioned benzos for numbing emotions, while it does work, it's certainly a dead-end for me since, as i said, i'm in amidst of withdrawals and i'm afraid they wouldn't even be enough for my (rare) problems. If i hopefully ward off this demon i am open to benzo suggestions, but only the most emotionally numbing ones.

As Perforated said, my main reason is to deal with toxic relationships too and your definition of "Extreme emotional lability" fits me perfectly when it comes to unfruitful intimate relationships. This is the only reason i even want to mess around with medication that in general shouldn't be fucked around with, but until i can acquire all these antipsychotics, 3-meo-pcp is still a golden standard for me at the moment.

Last edited:
^Quite a resounding statement.

For one, I love my mother more than anyone else in this world. Still medicated.

They have newer ones like abilify, rexulti, and vraylar that aren't as difficult to tolerate.

Otherwise, I really do have to say that clozapine works via my discussion with many people and my research. But it is very sedating. It's a cost-benefit situation my dude. Medication doesn't have to be forever, but it deserves at least its day in court (no pun intended).

Risperidone, you will wake up not loving even your mother
Risperidone gave me an awful bout of anhedonia, emotional numbing indeed.

Still love my mother :ROFLMAO:, just wasn't able to express it as I had in the past.

^Quite a resounding statement.

For one, I love my mother more than anyone else in this world. Still medicated.

They have newer ones like abilify, rexulti, and vraylar that aren't as difficult to tolerate.

Otherwise, I really do have to say that clozapine works via my discussion with many people and my research. But it is very sedating. It's a cost-benefit situation my dude. Medication doesn't have to be forever, but it deserves at least its day in court (no pun intended).
Abilify does give me all the psychiatric benefits of Risperidone/Risperdal but without the anhedonia and inability to ejaculate during orgasm.

If the OP really wants emotional numbing, he might as well try whatever gives him anhedonia.