• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Which activity should I take up?

Eligiu

Moderator: TDS; Discord Sr. Staff
Staff member
So I have Monday evenings off every fortnight (and both of these events start after I knock off my two hour shift so could feasibly still get to either every week) and I've been thinking of doing some kind of social activity to get more engaged in the community again and maybe make some new friends. Most of my friends from uni have graduated now, and they're starting jobs as lawyers so they really don't have much time to see me and I'm pretty full up with my schedule too with therapies and support workers and work. Like I do on average maybe 6-8 hours of various types of appointments per week, plus 25 hours of support workers on top of that and 10 hours per week of work.

But I think it's important for me to try and form connections with people who have the same interests as me. That makes it far easier for me to communicate with them at least in terms of my autism, when I know we have a shared mutual interest.

One of the options (which I have gone to before, just not regularly) is social badminton. I'm not very good at it compared with the rest of the people there but the exercise is good for me and I can pay to bring a support worker there to help me communicate because I go non verbal at this place due to not knowing anyone and getting overwhelmed. The downside is, I'm not particularly interested in badminton at all. It's just nearby, convenient, and cheap to take part in ($5). Another plus is I can leave whenever I get tired or get sick of being there.

The other option would be a Monday night Adventurers League Dungeons and Dragons group which ran from 6pm-10pm and which costs $2 to join. The plus side of this is that I'm very, very interested in DnD and love making my own characters and playing the games which they set up at the gaming store (I used to take a client to these events two years ago until he started going himself and I was already playing in two other DnD groups at the time so it was a bit much back then but I don't have a single DnD group at the moment which I miss) so I'll have a lot in common with the people I meet there and I'm much more likely to communicate with them willingly and happily over a special interest because I want to talk about it with whoever will listen. So I can see myself making friends there. The downside is I can't afford to bring a support worker to these sessions because they run too late and I also don't know if I even have a support worker who knows how to play DnD. But on the other hand this could be a good opportunity to try to do something without a support worker. The other downside is that I can't just leave when I want (unless I die in the game) so sometimes I might even be stuck there until 11pm which is incredibly late for me when I normally go to bed at 10. I wouldn't get into bed by 11:30-12.

Opinions?

You already answered urself. Why choose badmington at all if you have zero interest on it, on the other hand getting on a DnD group is not a bad idea. U can make new friends there that aren't necessarily interested in drugs. It's cool that you try to stay ocuppied all the time, works good for ur sobriety. Keep it up :)

You already answered urself. Why choose badmington at all if you have zero interest on it, on the other hand getting on a DnD group is not a bad idea. U can make new friends there that aren't necessarily interested in drugs. It's cool that you try to stay ocuppied all the time, works good for ur sobriety. Keep it up :)

Cause the big problem with DnD is that I honestly dont know if I can stay awake that long and it might be good for me to keep trying at badminton to at least try to start being verbal there while I play. My speech therapist thinks it's a good place to practice some of the stuff we do in therapy like conversation scripts but I just can't seem to get the words out while I'm there so my support worker has to take over.

I like DnD, I just also know the other people who play there take it very seriously and I'd need to brush up on Adventurers League rules before I go since it's been a while from the last time I went and that seems like a lot of work.

Cause the big problem with DnD is that I honestly dont know if I can stay awake that long and it might be good for me to keep trying at badminton to at least try to start being verbal there while I play. My speech therapist thinks it's a good place to practice some of the stuff we do in therapy like conversation scripts but I just can't seem to get the words out while I'm there so my support worker has to take over.

I like DnD, I just also know the other people who play there take it very seriously and I'd need to brush up on Adventurers League rules before I go since it's been a while from the last time I went and that seems like a lot of work.
Mhmm then what about looking for other Alternatives? u can't just come down to those 2 options exclusively. What about running? going to the gym? or ride bycicle if you're a bit of a slacker like myself hehe. Riding bycicle while listening to music is pretty fun, makes u work cardio and it's not that expensive. U can get a 2nd hand 🚲 for pretty cheap. Before I had my accident, riding bicycle was one of my fav hobbies 💛. Keep it in mind or idk just like I proposed this different option there must be something else u might like. Just keep searching until u find something you like :)

Mhmm then what about looking for other Alternatives? u can't just come down to those 2 options exclusively. What about running? going to the gym? or ride bycicle if you're a bit of a slacker like myself hehe. Riding bycicle while listening to music is pretty fun, makes u work cardio and it's not that expensive. U can get a 2nd hand 🚲 for pretty cheap. Before I had my accident, riding bicycle was one of my fav hobbies 💛. Keep it in mind or idk just like I proposed this different option there must be something else u might like. Just keep searching until u find something you like :)

I used to go to the gym before my sensory issues became really bad, I can't imagine I would tolerate it very well these days and I absolutely hate running. I do have a pretty nice and expensive bike which I mainly use to commute though. I had a friend I used to go on rides with but he moved cities.

I dunno, this is why I've always played team sports. But my lacrosse team isn't fielding a team this year and even though all the other clubs in my division got in contact to ask me to come out and transfer to their club for the year it's just not the same as my club. They all know me and accept me for who I am, I'd have to be around all new people, get to know a whole new team. One of the reasons I like my lacrosse team so much is because when I medically transitioned and started hormones they immediately let me play in the men's team and no one batted an eye. I somehow can't see every other club being as accepting. And with soccer I just don't have the time to be able to train as much as I would need to in order to be fit enough to play, plus I've got this issue with my foot at the moment where it cramps up while I walk due to Hypermobility.

I've been looking into some Lego groups as well and I was thinking of maybe joining some art type groups where I can go somewhere and maybe do some painting for a couple of hours. Maybe even a book club.

Badminton is actually pretty fun. Haven't played in decades and I wasn't particularly good at it, but I have fond memories.

How about combining these two activities? One week of badminton to keep fit, and then DnD for fun

Last edited:
@Eligiu sign up for the local chess club

Chess has an awesome community, very friendly, and it doesn't matter how awkward someone might be.

Just an idea.

That's not a bad idea. I'm pretty good at speed chess (I tend to make less mistakes than other people) but less good at normal chess (they make less mistakes in this version) and I do have a nice $250 chess set at home I could be putting to better use. I got it as a present to myself for making it one year sober off meth last year before I relapsed so I do like playing chess. I might look up some local groups and see if they have any time that would work with my schedule

@Eligiu

So what's the options so far or should I rephrase "until now"

Well my support worker told me that their agency is starting up an LGBT positive Dungeons and Dragons meet up for people who they support, so I'm going to ask some questions about when that will start and how much it'll cost and what night it runs. I'm also going to ask my support worker who used to do badminton with me whether he can start coming again. I think those are the top contenders. Another one of my support workers is teaching me how to use my manual camera I got for my birthday years ago so I could possibly even find a photography club to join and learn some more off those people. I've been shooting in automatic because I had no idea what the apiture and the other thing did so now I have some pointers we are going to keep working on that until I get the hang of it.

I have no input but I was really amused the two things you were weighing were Badminton and D&D.

I have no input but I was really amused the two things you were weighing were Badminton and D&D.

Haha why does that amuse you? Because they're so different or because they're similar?