• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Where to Im - Very Skinny

I hear ya Lorne. If you're having trouble identifying a quadriceps, then I would go for the buttocks. Off the top of my head, I dont know why it isn't universally recommended. I would definitely read into that.

For anyone reading who is considering a move to intramuscular injection, you need to be aware that you will be more liable to the development of complications. It only takes 2 or 3 pumps for your heart to fully cycles your blood. Your muscles don't get that same level of circulation.

Before I stopped injecting regularly a few years ago, I had burned out all of my good veins and had progressed to intramuscular injections. If you're injecting 3+ times a day, it can be difficult to avoid complications regardless of how hygienic your technique is. You can definitely help yourself out though with some simple post-injection technique.

After you inject, I think it helps to engage the muscle with some light exercise. Also, massaging the muscle can be helpful. I've had some good luck using heating pads or what have you on the affected area. The principle is, you dont want the shot to just "sit". You want to stimulate blood flow to and from the area and expose the injection solution to as much area as possible, which is why I think the massage is good.

There is inevitable some pain involved in IM injection as opposed to IV, which is largely painless as it is actually injected into the bloodstream. In monitoring for complication, the biggest rule of thumb: is it getting better or is it getting worse?

You are often going to end up with some bruising, pain and irritation at the injection site, but if it seems to be getting more inflamed/painful after 3-4 days, you need to consider the possibility of infection.