• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Where/How is Buprenorphine Stored in a Butrans Patch?

ASecretAccount

Greenlighter
I was previously on a Fentanyl transdermal patch, but was just switched to 5mcg Butran (Buprenorphine) transdermal patches. I was expecting the technology/form factor of the patches to be the same, but the Butrans patches are quite different in form.

Where and how is the Buprenorphine stored within these patches? I've noticed that a small (relative to the patch itself) plastic square covered in adhesive exists in the center of the patch. I'm assuming the Buprenorphine is stored within the adhesive on this plastic square, but I'm not positive.

I prefer to use patches, "sublingually," by sticking them to the inside of the cheek. However, Butrans patches are textured like a bandaid, making them very uncomfortable to use this way. I've found that the plastic square can be peeled from the patch, so if the Buprenorphine is stored there I will likely peel it off to make the experience more comfortable.

Have you had a look at this before? Explains what you’re after and has a diagram.

I guess you already know once you tamper with it you will potentially be getting the full dose all at once?

Have you had a look at this before? Explains what you’re after and has a diagram.

I guess you already know once you tamper with it you will potentially be getting the full dose all at once?
I have seen that page. The diagram implies I am correct in my thinking, but it doesn't seem to mention the plastic part itself (unless that's what, "drug polymer," means?).

Yes, I'm aware of the potential for receiving the entire dose at once. It has never proven to be an issue, though.

Last edited: