• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos When to Take A Benzo?

lizard_brain

Greenlighter
I have a history of grappling with anxiety. For nearly a year, I engaged in therapy involving psychedelics to manage it. This approach had been quite effective. However, as that therapy halted and my support network diminished, I noticed my anxiety levels resurging. I found myself heading toward a place where minor issues triggered overwhelming reactions. This became particularly challenging as I run my own business, and these overreactions began taking a toll on my relationships.

Despite the difficulties, I managed to avoid using any 'hard' drugs throughout this period. I had previously kicked a moderate poppy seed tea habit just before starting therapy.

Recently, I was prescribed clonazepam after reluctantly trying a 1mg dose from a friend. Unlike the drowsiness I experienced with valium and xanax in the past, clonazepam didn't have that effect on me, making it seem like a viable emergency option.

However, I faced a situation where I couldn't attend a festival due to various personal reasons. Feeling guilty that my volunteer ticket would go unused, I was overwhelmed with nervousness. I tried using propranolol to ease it, but it didn't quite help. During Christmas with my family, I took 1mg of clonazepam over two days, which did offer some relief, but I still felt highly anxious.

Now, I'm concerned about when it's acceptable to take clonazepam. I've read about the potential for withdrawal, and I want to steer clear of that in my life (sounds truly horrible). I don't want to rely on it excessively, yet I also don't want to find myself crumbling under the weight of anxiety.

My anxiety levels have significantly impacted my quality of life. While I'm grateful for the self-awareness the therapy has brought, I now feel lost regarding the appropriate use of clonazepam.

A trusted friend said no more than 1mg every two weeks - and I agree because of the massive half-life.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
You should be able to take up to 4mg a day with no limit over time above that, unless you notice a reason to limit yourself. Sounds like your friend is just a bit more benzo naive than you are. EDIT: I misunderstood, obviously there's a much higher risk of dependency aka you will be dependent taking a regular dose of that size, and would be a complete misappropriation of your prescription as well. If you are under prescribed what you actually need though it's important that you tell your doctor that your symptoms are not being fully managed.

You should start low though and work towards a dose that you find manages your anxiety when it gets bad. Skip taking a dose unless you feel like you need it if trying not to become dependent or at least keep dependency down. While benzo wd ain't no hoe and is deadly, with proper tapering and care it's a walk in the park compared to other forms of withdrawal at least in my opinion.
At the end of the day, having to taper down from some benzos sounds like a better quality of life than living every day with crippling anxiety. Just don't overdo it and you shouldn't get into too sticky of a situation. The real horror stories for benzos come mostly from the research chemical benzos.

Was it a Ketamine or Mushroom therapy that you were in? Something else?

Yes, the less the better. Because it will start turning on you. Oh I know.

The only way I would take one now is if somebody died and I was hysterical. And then it would barely affect me.

And only when the benefits can out weigh the risks.

It hits so strong that you won't even know it. So really think it through before you ever take it.

Oh and I use other means for anxiety. Walking taking walks being outdoors.

And comfort meds too !!! . . . . just not benzo's

The benzo withdrawal is beyond painful too.

The withdrawal gave me slight brain damage. Cluster headaches and memory problems that are finally starting to get better a little bit right now.

I don't understand now how some can actually dose everyday when some dosages have extremely long half life's. Just when you are riding the wave, you have to get more

dosage in you. Just ride it out when it will last for a while.

But be careful with those dammit benzos. They can be nothing but trouble unless you need it for a real serious situation. Yes, it's there.

I am glad that they helped me and even more happy that it's over.

Be Careful. Especially if you are forgetful. Just watch out.

Please be careful always and it's good to be cautious though.

They are and they can be frightening. Yes. Amazing little and powerful will pack you a punch and can be deadly to drive with if too much can be taken.

Sorry to sound scary but they are. And will be. You won't stay focused if you take too much.

You'll be fine !