• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

When doctors would rather prescribe you something you have an allergy to than treat your pain adequately..

Doesn't the UK also have heroin? Not that they're likely to give it to you ever but at least they acknowledge it has medicinal potential unlike the US which has it as a schedule I

Technically, yes. They have Diamorphine but very, very rare outside of hospital. I was given it a couple times when I was a very severe acute pancreatitis in hospital. I was completely opioid-naive at the time (well, I MAY have had like co-codamol a few times) and the max. dose of IV morphine wasn't effective enough so they reluctantly gave me diamorphine a few times. They did try to get me to take a epidural instead, but I REALLY didn't want something that was gonna basically paralysis below the chest.

Are you actually allergic to codeine (massive facial swelling, airway constriction, EpiPen time) or is it just a histamine response (itching, flushing)? The latter is quite normal and is not a true "allergy" at all. (Also, taking an antihistamine with codeine is a known way of potentiating it, c.f. "lean")

It is unlikely you are truly allergic (i.e. have an inappropriate antibody linked immune response) to codeine if you can tolerate DHC and morphine.

I'm mildly allergic so I get facial swelling (especially around my eyes), super-itchy hives all over my body and low blood-pressure (to the point of fainting or having to lie on the floor for a while). I have twice had a reaction bad enough that my eyes swelled shut, my blood pressure dropped so much I couldn't even slightly elevate my head from the floor and I was wheezing. Both times, my parents were there so were able to call 999 (our 011, if you're American). The paramedics said I had the lowest blood pressure they had ever seen in someone conscious and that the reaction was "Borderline-Anaphylaxis" but I had taken a lot both times (more than I'm prescribed). I'm only very mildly allergic so I've never had a full-on anaphylactic reaction so don't have an epi-pen, although I was given one by paramedics the two times they were called.

I REALLY didn't want something that was gonna basically paralysis below the chest.
As a paraplegic, it's much better painkilling than any opioid. Viz. I was once stretching my legs and ended up breaking my femur (sounds like a dry tree branch breaking) and my reaction was basically (no pain, no urgency) "Oh. I seem to have broken my leg." Even with the doctors manipulating it, nothing! And unlike a spinal injury, epidurals are temporary.

How much codeine did you take? That seems like the same reaction my friend had when he IV'd 300mg of dihydroheroin HBr. I found him in the bathroom half-conscious and breathing (though slowly and shallowly), but his whole face was swollen up rather comically, his lips ballooned out to 3-4x their size. (He reported feeling absolutely awful once the effects started to wear off.)

As far as I know the only relatively popular or widely used benzo type drug that doesn't show up on those drug tests is Etizolam, due to it being a thieno-diazepine and not strictly speaking a benzo, although it feels just like one, and the anti-anxiety properties are said to be 6 times more effective than diazepam.

Could be handy to know that in various circumstances.

Not sure why Clonazepam wouldn't show up in some tests. Are you sure they are genuine pills?
Yes they are genuine pills. They've been prescribed to me for years now.

Of course its not, just because codeine is half the strength of DHC and DHC is considered by the medical community to be twice the strength of codeine you are of course spot on.

You are talking out of your arse, any evidence for your claim?

Here is some evidence for mine:

You are talking out of your arse, any evidence for your claim?

I think he read it from this paper, which states "The analgesic effect of DHC is probably twice as potent as codeine for the parenteral and slightly stronger for an oral route. DHC possesses approximately 1/6(th) of the morphine analgesic effect when drugs are administered orally."

I think he read it from this paper, which states "The analgesic effect of DHC is probably twice as potent as codeine for the parenteral and slightly stronger for an oral route. DHC possesses approximately 1/6(th) of the morphine analgesic effect when drugs are administered orally."

👍

Safe to say that basically nobody uses it parenterally and almost everybody uses it orally.

Indeed. It is curious to see that DHC can be given IV apparently: that is a no-no with codeine due to the histamine release, and can be given SC/IM only. But its oral BA is so high there is no reason to give it any other way.

I'm mildly allergic so I get facial swelling (especially around my eyes), super-itchy hives all over my body and low blood-pressure (to the point of fainting or having to lie on the floor for a while). I have twice had a reaction bad enough that my eyes swelled shut, my blood pressure dropped so much I couldn't even slightly elevate my head from the floor and I was wheezing. Both times, my parents were there so were able to call 999 (our 011, if you're American). The paramedics said I had the lowest blood pressure they had ever seen in someone conscious and that the reaction was "Borderline-Anaphylaxis" but I had taken a lot both times (more than I'm prescribed). I'm only very mildly allergic so I've never had a full-on anaphylactic reaction so don't have an epi-pen, although I was given one by paramedics the two times they were called.

ask your GP for a regular epipen prescription. They must give it to you if you have a legit codeine prescrip and are allergic to it. Although any sane GP would say it's mad to take a medication that causes you borderline anyphylaxis and woud switch you to something else

do you think the recreational effects of DHC are twice as much as codeine or stronger?

Thats the one lol

No seriously, I used to work in inpatient drug treatment in the late 90's early 2000's in another life as part of my remit as an RMN. We used to use DCH (the old 30mg DF118's) for rapid opioid detox in non methadone maintained patients before the drug was essentially replaced for this use by buprenorphine.

Opioid equivalency charts are notoriously woolly and often do not work on a 1:1 ratio in the same manner than similar tools for benzo derivatives. Many doctors tend to just compare poppies like for like as opposed to morphine equivalent doses. On many occasions, towards the end of tapers we would occasionally substitute codeine tablets at the exchange of 30mg DHC to 60mg codeine phosphate to save having to try and cut DHC tablets into quarters and the like.

This. Just reads as someone whining because they didn’t get what they wanted.
Assuming everything in the post said was true, the OP was on a medication that seemed to be working just fine, with very few side effects, and was put on a medication that doesn't seem to work as well, with more severe side effects, requiring an additional medication to combat.

I don't think your statement is entirely wrong, but I would "whine" too if my doctor pulled some crap like that.

do you think the recreational effects of DHC are twice as much as codeine or stronger?
Having used them both, for me personally, DHC was maybe 1.25x-1.5x stronger than codeine, and also seemed to be active at doses above the "ceiling limit" of 200mg that codeine experiences, as well.