• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What's your opinion on Carl Jung?

ReadmissionRied

Bluelighter
Do you read Carl Jung? If so, why? What books? Do you dislike Carl Jung?

Some references:

Analytic psychology
WRITTEN BY:

See Article History
Alternative Title: analytical psychotherapy

Analytic psychology, the psychoanalytic method of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung as he distinguished it from that of Sigmund Freud. Jung attached less importance than did Freud to the role of sexuality in the neuroses and stressed the analysis of patients’ immediate conflicts as being more useful in understanding their problems than the uncovering of childhood conflicts. According to Jung’s definition, the unconscious includes individuals’ personal unconscious and that which they have inherited from their ancestors (the “collective unconscious”). He classified people into introverted and extraverted types and further distinguished them according to four primary functions of the mind—thinking, feeling, sensation, and intuition—one or more of which Jung believed predominates in any given person.

I like that Jung and Freud develop their Father Complex. They were just 2,000 years late as the ancients knew of that Complex before Jesus took it as a part of his ideology.

Like one would expect from psychiatrists, they attributed too much sex to it when they folded it into their Oedipus Complex.

Oh well. They were turning new ground so foolish mistakes are allowed.

How could I not like them while knowing that they were Gnostics like me.

Regards
DL

I like that Jung and Freud develop their Father Complex. They were just 2,000 years late as the ancients knew of that Complex before Jesus took it as a part of his ideology.

Like one would expect from psychiatrists, they attributed too much sex to it when they folded it into their Oedipus Complex.

Oh well. They were turning new ground so foolish mistakes are allowed.

How could I not like them while knowing that they were Gnostics like me.

Regards
DL

Jung attached less importance than did Freud to the role of sexuality in the neuroses and stressed the analysis of patients’ immediate conflicts as being more useful in understanding their problems than the uncovering of childhood conflicts.

Jung didn't attribute as much to the Oedipus concept and sex as Freud did- as stated in that snippet. He broke away from Freud due to many differences where they once were quite aligned with the creation of analytical psychology.

@TripSitterNZ

What makes you say that?

Thanks for the replies!

his work in uncovering the shadow and other psychological archetypes is very important to become a whole person i done enough LSD and i know how important carl jungs work is to heal your own psyche.

his work in uncovering the shadow and other psychological archetypes is very important to become a whole person i done enough LSD and i know how important carl jungs work is to heal your own psyche.
Thanks for your input, would you say that his research and works have directly helped you in some way?

i like George Jung better iirc

george-jung-smoking-og.jpg

You can't perform an experimental test of whether archetypes and collective unconscious exist, but there seems to be some truth in them because same kind of themes appear in the mythologies of many human cultures. But then again, even an almost newborn human can already tell the difference between, e.g. a human face and an animal face, so some of those basic ideas may be built-in in our genetic code that builds the central nervous system.

Thanks for the replies all.

@polymath it's definitely something to think on, if one is so inclined. One book I'm interested in the subject of mythology is "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. While I agree about the genetic code, my personal brand of thought always leaves the door open to answer the "why's" in general.

Thanks for the replies all.

@polymath it's definitely something to think on, if one is so inclined. One book I'm interested in the subject of mythology is "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. While I agree about the genetic code, my personal brand of thought always leaves the door open to answer the "why's" in general.

It will open your eyes and is a part of why I say that if a person has no goal or quest, they are not much of a person as they no longer strive to be the fittest human that evolution and our DNA push us to be.

Change the wording a touch in this song to everybody should want.

Regards
DL

It will open your eyes and is a part of why I say that if a person has no goal or quest, they are not much of a person as they no longer strive to be the fittest human that evolution and our DNA push us to be.

Are you referring to "the heros journey" that Campbell discusses?

In that case, what does it mean that "they are not much of a person"?

What does it mean to be a person, then? Is it only to drive to be the fittest human that evolution and our DNA push us to be?

The heros journey is difficult for me personally, I am a woman so things Campbell writes about pertain to a historically male existence. I haven't done much research on a woman's "hero journey" yet, but I try to not think about such things when I explore older philosophy and psychology as often times women are regarded as side material at best.

I found Jung's work the most holistic for his era. He also touched on many cultures and used many integrative approaches that were advanced for his time. I have specifically benefited greatly from his dream work.

I found Jung's work the most holistic for his era. He also touched on many cultures and used many integrative approaches that were advanced for his time. I have specifically benefited greatly from his dream work.

That's excellent news. When did you first hear about him? What sort of work do you do in regards to dream work? Do you do interpretation?

Are you referring to "the heros journey" that Campbell discusses?

In that case, what does it mean that "they are not much of a person"?

What does it mean to be a person, then? Is it only to drive to be the fittest human that evolution and our DNA push us to be?

The heros journey is difficult for me personally, I am a woman so things Campbell writes about pertain to a historically male existence. I haven't done much research on a woman's "hero journey" yet, but I try to not think about such things when I explore older philosophy and psychology as often times women are regarded as side material at best.

Thank the misogynous religions for that.

I did not know I was addressing a woman. Not that it makes much difference to me, although subconsciously it might.

To your questions.

Yes, I was referring to J. Campbells Hero story.

Hollywood has finally gotten the message on female heroes. Have you noted the trend in movies? I have although I wish they would portray the more cerebral aspect of female thinking instead of just putting swords and super powers into female stars. They are accentuating male traits instead of celebrating female traits and have little 90 lb anorexic women kicking the hell out of a dozen 200 lb men in one scene. Such foolishness. Young boys emulate their stars by roughhousing. I hope girls are smarter. I have no idea as my family is full of males.

On fitness.
We all have our own subjective view of what out fittest possible end would look like. Male views are not the same as male ones usually. Ours have a lot of reproduction issues while women are more security minded. I think. Not being a woman, I hesitate to put words in your mouths.

To my way of thinking, if a man has no pet peeve of irritant that he is trying to change, be it the eco system, animal cruelty, social reform, you name it, he is mentally stagnating and has decided to not seek to be the fittest thinker. He has decided to be what some call sheeple. Our instincts push us to be leaders and they have determined that they are not fit to be in the race, I guess.

It is demonstrable that nature creates all life for it's best possible end, warts cancers and all, and I just hate to see so many end with their best being so far below the fittest.

Your fittest as a woman, I know less than you on, but think Sufferjets, Cleopatra and other women of note who did not settle for looking at life from behind a man and you might see what I mean. It could be running for president to just doing something local like cleaning up a creek.

What is your life's pet peeve and are you doing anything about it?

Mine has ended up being religious harm and I bumble along doing what I can to reduce it. Benefits are slow but unstoppable, given that people's morality is getting better and that fact has them reject the mainstream religions.

Regards
DL

As a Gnostic, he knew the benefits of seeking inside ones self.

Science is now showing that DNA carries more than we know of at the moment and I think Jung and Freud found that we could access some of it via our subconscious.

They may have gone to far with their super-subconscious and id and who knows how many other so called independent thinking or processes in our one brain.

That was either dumb, or I am not as smart as they were and just don't get it.

Regards
DL

That's excellent news. When did you first hear about him? What sort of work do you do in regards to dream work? Do you do interpretation?

I first learned about him when I was doing psychedelic therapy about 8 years or so ago.

Jung worked with a Polynesian culture called the Senoi people. They treated dream time and the waking world as one continuous reality, equally as real. So they learned to move seamlessly through various states of consciousness, influencing them with symbols, queues, and other synchronistic attunements. I don't do dream interpretation. I treat dreams as lived experiences just like waking experiences. Rather than ask what they mean, I ask how the experience was useful to me, what was good about it, and what I would like to do differently next time. Was it a good experience or a bad experience. If you walk down the street and encounter a person, you don't walk away asking what their appearance meant. You think about what actually happened -- you react to the experience itself. If I have a dream about a purple elephant, I think about what it was like to be around that elephant, rather than what the elephant meant. Most things in dreams are not symbols, they are experiences. I also take my dream experiences and project them into the waking world, and vice versa. For instance, if I experience something really cool in a dream I will try to replicate it IRL and see what happens. Often, the results are amazing.

I believe that sleep is a time when the soul can briefly detach from its imprisonment in the body. The detachment is not complete because the body is still alive. The soul uses this time to process what it's doing during its incarnation, to communicate with other souls, and to accomplish things it can't do while fully embodied in the human vessel. Because this information is not processed through the organic brain of the body, our dreams end up being a distorted version of what actually happened during these soul level processes. So, there's not much point in talking about what dreams mean because that's the ego trying to understand something that took place beyond it, as the ego is a projection of the organic mind-body only. It can't directly perceive soul level phenomena.

That's why I believe that when you do work with dreamtime vs. awake time and sync them seamlessly, you will have amazingly synchronistic experiences that the ego has a hard time explaining. It's because it's all a foreground perception that takes place with the soul level processes directing the show in the background. Jung and the classical psychologists would call this the conscious vs. the subconscious, but I don't like these divisions because those are both part of the organic mind-body. The soul experiences a human mind-body that is experiencing a conscious/subconscious, but the conscious/subconscious are not the be all and end all of awareness, nor are they part of the soul. Sort of like how you can watch a theatre performance and get really into it, while not seeing the many other staff members behind the scenes making sure the show goes according to plan. The characters on stage can fall asleep or be awake but it all takes place in the foreground of a greater orchestration that isn't seen. You never see the background but the show would never function without them. Working with dreams is the only way to sort of connect with that behind the scenes stuff as an organic body, and it's all through symbols. The mind-body can't understand soul level stuff so it gets projected into symbols which the mind-body then "experiences", and those experiences become part of the living human narrative. Once you know your dream symbols that are unique to you, you can do virtually anything in your dream worlds, and as a result your waking worlds as well.

Last edited:
I find it funny that Freud was the "realist" who turned out to be the most creative in the theories of sexuality. Jung, who had a psychotic experience, took a creative interpretation to heal patients. Except he went so far as to find common elements and structures in ancient myths. It seems Freud wanted to liberate you by defining your relationship with the Super-Ego. Jung wanted to liberate you by the strings of your Ego letting you 'experience' your own myth/story and how to relate to yourself in a healthy manor. Psychologists generally just listen and sympathize -- psychiatrists now listen to the range of your symptoms and take a more nuts and bolts approach to chemically stabilize your brain.

I liked Jung's writings on the male life cycle and personality integration. Are there any women Jungian analysts/writers?

Yes - Sallie Nichols wrote a book called Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey. I don't remember it having much to say about women, but there are feminine forces like the empress card that she claimed to communicate with in her own unique way.

edit: by the way, all of Jung's works are available online for free at archive.org/details/vol.11psychologyandreligionwestandeast