• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What's up with SAM-e??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I had read initially just another supplement, another expensive supplement.

But whilst perusing some neuroscience book just now, it stated that SAMe is a precursor in the conversion of dopamine to noradrenaline.

Now - I myself find responsiveness, solely to noradrenergics.
So my ill informed logical dictates - maybe I have a conversion problem, and this supplement could assist with increase my NA levels.

So I go on pubmed for a butchers.

There seems to be quite a few low figure studies that allude to it "being a potentially effective treatment in cognitive impairment implicated depression".
But no actual major study comparison to full assert this.

Lots of anecdotal reports found through google that claim it's a miracle drug.
Some go as far as to say it carries efficacy similar to or surpassing tricyclics - desipramine being one in particular that caught my attention - given it's high NA potency.

In theory, would it be worthwhile experimenting with SAMe as a supplement as a means to increase DA to NA conversion?Anything that improves NA levels for myself has demonstrated benefit.
Or do the neuromechanics even work that way?

Apparently it also raises SER levels though -which for me would be undesirable.

Oh - and can SAM-e be mixed with mirtazapine and bupropion safely?I don't think SS would be an issue...

It's a precursor to *every* neurotransmitter that requires a methyl group. It donates methylation to extant endogenous transmitters. I've read comparative studies (from around 1996, before S-adenosyl-methionine was OTC in the U.S.A.) from a book called "Natural Alternatives To Prozac" that made it look to be the most promising of *any* supplement, improving mood better than a number of anti-depressants, inclu. just about all TCAs. I took it *with* Prozac (and Zoloft previously) and found it to work wonders. Esp. with stimulant WDs.

It's a precursor to *every* neurotransmitter that requires a methyl group. It donates methylation to extant endogenous transmitters. I've read comparative studies (from around 1996, before S-adenosyl-methionine was OTC in the U.S.A.) from a book called "Natural Alternatives To Prozac" that made it look to be the most promising of *any* supplement, improving mood better than a number of anti-depressants, inclu. just about all TCAs. I took it *with* Prozac (and Zoloft previously) and found it to work wonders. Esp. with stimulant WDs.

Wonders, you say?

*With* prozac?
As in, it significantly boosted its AD efficacy, is what you're saying?

Well - why aren't more people onto this, in that case?

As mentioned in some articles - is it necessary/did you take it with, folic acid, and vitamin B12?

And some poster here was bandying about the name, "5-HTp".

You might as well fill me in as to what exactly that's about also?

Though I didn't see any mention of that in the neuroscience book.

I was looking at SAMe specifically cause it was clearly outlined as a "methylation" precursor to NE - which I very much need.

And some poster here was bandying about the name, "5-HTp".

You might as well fill me in as to what exactly that's about also?

5-HTP = serotonin; same thing. (hydroxytriptophan)

I just took SAMe, not folic or B12, also likely keeps exogenous drugs with methyl groups or that require methyl groups to function (e.g. cocaine, methamp) having methyl groups after demethylation; meth amp not becoming reg. dex-amp as readily, cocaine not becoming the inactive metabolite benzoyl ecgonine, etc.

YEAH, it can also increase anxiety too, i got 30x400mg with a coupon once and did not really notice profound effects. Certainly not rec drug effects, or even nootropics. Or even b-complex

Maybe it's just me but I hardly ever notice all these nutritional supplements and or drug potentiators. Sometime I think we're being duped via the placebo effect. But that's just me.

Maybe it's just me but I hardly ever notice all these nutritional supplements and or drug potentiators. Sometime I think we're being duped via the placebo effect. But that's just me.

I get energy and stimulation from ALCAR + ALA and also phenylpiracetam

I think I read somewhere that people like me with the Val/Val version of the COMT gene (fast dopamine metabolizer) should stay away from SAM-e. I did try it years ago, felt nothing.

I DO feel something from EGCg when mixed with stimulants, its supposedly a COMT inhibitor. I don't know though placebo is strong. I really felt a capsule kick in at first and a strange sensation of heat around my waist. Even heard voices after taking two with stimulants.

Sulbutiamine seems to enhance stimulants.... but not every time... placebo? I swear I could feel that one kick in hard first time I took it.

Tumeric extract is another one that seemed to boost stimulants (i need ridiculous doses of d-amphetamine).

Hard to know what's placebo without objective testing.