• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Whats the right stimulant for me?

DogGrease

Greenlighter
Its my first time posting here so excuse me if this isn't the place to ask this.

I've taken kratom for a long time, and really gotten a lot out of it, but ever since I started on mood stabilizers I feel like its having less of an effect, so I'm looking for a new stimulant to take its place. Whats a nice stimulant I could take in a low dose to give me a similar mood lift and energy boost?

Im bipolar and am on lamictal and abilify, and I also take a low dose (100 mg) of wellbutrin. I know wellbutrin can cause seizures when combined with stimulants, so im wary of that, but i figure its a low enough dose that maybe it wont casue any problems, and im gonna be off it soon anyway, hasnt really done anything for me.

I was thinking adderall or vyvanse might be good, and im about to try 36 mg of concerta(Ritalin) so ill see how that treats me. Do those sound like good options? What dosage should I start with? Any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Yeah, first of all do not over take your Wellbutrin! I know a friend you overdosed on them, she was a couple seconds from going into cardiac arrest and was hallucinating for like 48 hours straight, she was bad. Anywaysss, as far as a pharma stimulant, I'm not usually worried about them, other than the fact that's how I graduated to meth. Idk, I can't tell you how much to take cuz im not a dr but be careful getting into this. I just don't wanna see you get sucked into all this. Good luck tho!

Yeah, first of all do not over take your Wellbutrin! I know a friend you overdosed on them, she was a couple seconds from going into cardiac arrest and was hallucinating for like 48 hours straight, she was bad. Anywaysss, as far as a pharma stimulant, I'm not usually worried about them, other than the fact that's how I graduated to meth. Idk, I can't tell you how much to take cuz im not a dr but be careful getting into this. I just don't wanna see you get sucked into all this. Good luck tho!
Yeah Ive only heard horror stories about wellbutrin, thats part of the reason I want to get off it so bad. Honestly at 100 mg i could probably just go cold turkey. Thanks for the concern, ill be careful with it.

Its my first time posting here so excuse me if this isn't the place to ask this.

I've taken kratom for a long time, and really gotten a lot out of it, but ever since I started on mood stabilizers I feel like its having less of an effect, so I'm looking for a new stimulant to take its place. Whats a nice stimulant I could take in a low dose to give me a similar mood lift and energy boost?

Im bipolar and am on lamictal and abilify, and I also take a low dose (100 mg) of wellbutrin. I know wellbutrin can cause seizures when combined with stimulants, so im wary of that, but i figure its a low enough dose that maybe it wont casue any problems, and im gonna be off it soon anyway, hasnt really done anything for me.

I was thinking adderall or vyvanse might be good, and im about to try 36 mg of concerta(Ritalin) so ill see how that treats me. Do those sound like good options? What dosage should I start with? Any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yes sir I wasn't done reading your post till I thought of suggesting adderall, it's a solid stimulant much different from Ritalin it'll give you a good boost if it's IR if it's not, you can crush the pills to make them so, I suggest ir over xr because the xrs last too long and have a lesser recreational effect I can suggest to take the adderall sublingually if they are low doses as you'll get the effects within 2-5min vs 10-30 orally but oral is still effective so don't worry if you swallow some or even half your doses but be careful , daily stimulant use leads to awful dependency/addiction trust me on that one however on the guise of harm reduction I caution the use and do not snort the adderall, in my experience it isn't worth it and unless their pressed powder pills the beads are like shards of glass to the nose even if it looks like powder when you're done.
Ps. Because you are bipolar you NEED to be careful with adderall/Ritalin because they can and do cause mood swings from time to time especially as they wear off, in my exp the mood swings for me are more intense than when I come down from a 5 day crack binge
I also caution you to start with MINIMAL doses because tolerance at least for me and everyone is different, builds very fast especially if you get used to the effects I don't take adderall often but when I do I need to take 90-160mg to get a solid effect profile and it's not particularly healthy and I used to be up all day/night from 20mg... be careful, and try not to abuse them too much sleep is the MOST IMPORTANT part of taking these or strong stimulants in general.

Last edited:
Wellbutrin is a stimulant, if you don't like it or think it is enough get off of it before taking other stimulants.
It also makes not much sense to take Abilify and a stim drug at the same time.
Why don't you just get off the Wellbutrin and reduce the dose of Abilify?

stimulants are the most detrimental drugs for your health, i wouldn't really recommend you any of em and the fact that you're bipolar makes you propense to react badly to the comedowns. just stick to your meds srsly don't play the stim game, those drugs aren't worth it but if I had to suggest you one would be methylphenidate aka Ritalin or Adderall. Anyway hope you bare in mind what I just said. take care NZN

^^ listen to this

Talk to your doctor

Concerta would be best I'd assume, but
Bipolar and amphetamines seem like a REALLY BAD idea, Stims basically make me feel bipolar.
I'd imagine you'll need some to pry you off the ceiling at 5am, uhh the mania

Wellbutrin worked really well for me, and is off-label for treating ADHD. Note: I too have bipolar disorder.

I would try the wellbutrin on it's own, without another stimulant. 100mg is a small dose. I was on 300 and i weight 135 pounds.

I believe bupropion is a strong inhibitor of the enzyme p450 cyp2d6. I also because amphetamine is primarily metabolized by this enzyme.

Therefore, in addition to the risks of combining two stimulants and being bipolar wellbutrin may drastically lower the dose needed of adderall to cause psychosis

However i am not a doctor. Given you are bipolar maybe you could ask about focus promoting drugs other than dopamine reuptake inhibitors like strattera (nri) and tenex(alpha adrenic ).

Are you seeking stimulants for mental peace? I have a family member who is bipolar and amphetamines sent him into hypomanic phases that were detrimental to his health and family. Being bipolar isn't easy and if you still are lacking motivation, it sounds like they need to switch up your mood stabilizers and/or anti-depressants. When medicated properly you should have the same energy you are hoping for. While amphetamines can be helpful, the down period of the drug may throw you into a depressive state and I don't want you to deal with that

^^ listen to this

Talk to your doctor

Concerta would be best I'd assume, but
Bipolar and amphetamines seem like a REALLY BAD idea, Stims basically make me feel bipolar.
I'd imagine you'll need some to pry you off the ceiling at 5am, uhh the mania

The fact that OP is diagnosed Bipolar really precludes him or her from messing around with stimulants. No judgment whatsoever, but I have met so many Bipolar people with severe stimulant issues. Said folks seem to have latent proclivity for addiction/dependence to CNS stimulants.

I can't speak for you man, bit in the end, youre better off trying for stability. Stimulants and stability do not go hand in hand.

Last edited:
Hello I am new here too but been an occasionaly lurker for info(thank you!). Plus I have 4 years of medicine under my belt.

I just wrote a shit load but decided to delete it again cos i dont know the rules here yet :) is it swim a friend or what? mybe ill just wait six years to tell you my story and its a pretty fucked up one.

now here is my advice . go for diazepam, take 10 mg wait 30 mins if u feel good you`ll be rid of your bi polar. take more as needed until you feel euphoric and fearless. but dont go hard at once some can handle it some cant but too little is a bummer too. then theres pregabalin (lyrica) for neuropathic pain, pain and anxiety and fear, ptsd probably too (same same).

what d1nach said was very correct. also keif. stimulants and and bipolar do not go hand in hand.

i would say more but i shalnt leed you into temptaion.

i am no expert on bipolar .but good news all will be fine, think positive , listen to music , go for walks even if you really dont want to, talk to people start conversations with any and everyone, and most of all sports help, talk to a nice freindly doctor (they still exist) , personaly i love rugby. I dont play anymore since school but i have now found ways too keep me busy. like xbox and house chores , rollerblading and PIZZA lol even the occasional drink to chill out. oh yeah also i love watching post apocalyptic series and films like thewalking dead ( i love the violence its like going boxing haha) american gods (soul inspiring gives me chills) EMOTION IS GOOD there is no happiness witout sadness, . like i said pregabalin (not gabapentin although its similar has more side effects) is very similar and chills you out. dont get me wrong diazepam is the best and WONT get you down it gets you euphoric if you dose it right and wait between doses it just has a long half life of up to 72 hours so dont expect to be euphoric every time unless you wait about 3 days between doses but it will still relax you. now theres lorazepam, which ONLY takes the fear away and if you can get sublinguals it works in 3 minutes and youll be golden lad.(else youll just be sleepiy which in itself isnt too bad a thing). old antihistamine like chlopromethazine could work too. all i will say about that is Sizurp

the rest stress subsides slowly have patience the mind is maliable and no psycholigical problem is permanent.

good luck

edit ritalin is fun at first but its literal HELL ON EARTH to come off and be on. Take nznitys word for it. i know.

Just want to point out for anybody reading that Diazepam will not "rid you of bipolar" nor will any benzodiazepines. Yes, they slow activity in the brain. The OP has not yet pointed out if he / she has Bipolar-1, is hypomanic, etc. If they are seeking more energy, benzodiazepines might have the exact opposite effect. Until, or if, they let us know more about their condition, exact drug recommendations may not be beneficial. And never listen to dosage increases every 30 minutes when people don't know how you metabolize a drug.

Amphetamines and methylphenidate, and even bupropion can send you into a manic state. Your depressive episodes could be made worse if you dont have a steady supply of the stimulant. Also these drugs will have some interaction with your aripiprazole, potentially lessening the efficacy. Amphetamine might be a touch safer in regards to interaction with your condition of bipolar disorder, and interaction with aripiprazole due to the fact that it elicits less dopamine boosting activity than methylphenidate. If you decide to take any of these drugs, start with a low dose (not more than 5 mg of either amphetamine or methylphenidate).

I think methylphenidate should be avoided at all costs to people who are more anxiety and depression prone. It has such a nasty Fucking comedown that no other stimulant can cause, if your vulnerable to anxiety. Dirty ass drug methylphenidate is, apparently a carcinogen