Whats the deal with K-9 units

KibelsNBits

Bluelighter
Is there anyway to defend yourself from their wrath if you happen to have any smelly substances in your car? Cops swoop in, snap their fingers, and boom your life is fucked. I never met a tough guy that was so afraid of needles. I can't believe there is no standing up to the gang in blue. Buncha fucking low life thugs.

It depends on whose dog is doing the sniffing. Federal law enforcement and many states' law enforcement units are allowed to use dogs at a routine traffic stop. There doesn't have to be suspicion of a drug offense. A positive hit from the dog gives law enforcment the probable cause needed for a the vehicle search. Some states have given motorists more rights under their own consitutions or statutes. K9s are not allowed at routine traffic stops in these states.

Make sure you do some research on "Fake Positives K9 Police Search".

There are certain signals/commands that Officers are NOT allowed (by law) to give the dog while conducting a search.

For instance if the LE says "get it get it get it" to the dog, the officer is mentally inducing the dog to "hit" on something.
In most states the law is very clear that the K9 dog must find the questionable substance on its own merit and not by being hoaxed into it by its owner/officer.
Keep in mind, this will only help you in court if the traffic stop is being taped and recorded.

I have seen MANY officers get on the stand and lie because its a Police Officer;'s word against a "criminals" and there was no recording of said incident.

It depends on whose dog is doing the sniffing. Federal law enforcement and many states' law enforcement units are allowed to use dogs at a routine traffic stop. There doesn't have to be suspicion of a drug offense. A positive hit from the dog gives law enforcment the probable cause needed for a the vehicle search. Some states have given motorists more rights under their own consitutions or statutes. K9s are not allowed at routine traffic stops in these states.

Is not dogs sniffing a car a search already?

Not if it is a sniff of the car's exterior. For the purposes of the Fourth Amendment, it not considered a search. The stop becomes unlawful if it is "prolonged beyond the time reasonably required" to complete the original traffic citation. In other words if the cops make you wait half an hour for the K9 arrive (without cause), there's a good chance the seizure and any resulting search will be thrown out.

But again, the law varies by state. This is the federal rule on the matter. It sets the minimum amount of civil rights you have, with states being free to enlarge these rights.

Is there anyway to defend yourself from their wrath if you happen to have any smelly substances in your car? Cops swoop in, snap their fingers, and boom your life is fucked. I never met a tough guy that was so afraid of needles. I can't believe there is no standing up to the gang in blue. Buncha fucking low life thugs.
I've heard people say you can get charged with assaulting an actual officer if you assault the dog :\
I don't know whether this is true or not but I do think that bringing a whole other species into this war on drugs bullshit is one of the more despicable things humans have ever done.
I also have a huge problem with the fact that K-9 units are abused constantly. The average person dosen't know what signals to look for with that particular cop/dog duo. The dog may have never indicated the prescence of drugs but the cop will still say something like "Sir, my dog has signaled me that there are possible narcotics in your car. I'm going to have to do a more thorough search."

I've heard people say you can get charged with assaulting an actual officer if you assault the dog :\
I don't know whether this is true or not but I do think that bringing a whole other species into this war on drugs bullshit is one of the more despicable things humans have ever done.
I also have a huge problem with the fact that K-9 units are abused constantly. The average person dosen't know what signals to look for with that particular cop/dog duo. The dog may have never indicated the prescence of drugs but the cop will still say something like "Sir, my dog has signaled me that there are possible narcotics in your car. I'm going to have to do a more thorough search."

There are some pretty big legal fictions in the laws that allow dog sniffs. One thing worth mentioning is that cops will sometimes threaten to have a dog brought to the scene of a routine traffic stop. Call their bluff -- make them bring the dog in. Do not consent to a search just because "Sparky will come here and rip your Camaro to shreds." And for godsakes man, NEVER touch the cop or the dog.

Assert your rights calmly and respectfully. Good will goes a long way during traffic stops (or any law enforcement encounter for that matter). If you want to challenge a traffic ticket, do it in court. If you want to challenge a search, do it in court.

Not if it is a sniff of the car's exterior. For the purposes of the Fourth Amendment, it not considered a search. The stop becomes unlawful if it is "prolonged beyond the time reasonably required" to complete the original traffic citation. In other words if the cops make you wait half an hour for the K9 arrive (without cause), there's a good chance the seizure and any resulting search will be thrown out.

But again, the law varies by state. This is the federal rule on the matter. It sets the minimum amount of civil rights you have, with states being free to enlarge these rights.

What would be the point of sniffing the exterior? I highly doubt even dogs can smell small amounts of any substance inside a car from the outside, assuming all the windows and doors are closed.

I highly doubt even dogs can smell small amounts of any substance inside a car from the outside, assuming all the windows and doors are closed.
Dogs have an amazing sense of smell. A properly trained dog has the ability to detect and alert based on the smallest traces of an odor. Sure, there are false positives and misses, but it's not something to underestimate. Often, a law enforcement officer with a K9 will bring the dog to the driver's door when pulling someone over.

What would be the point of sniffing the exterior? I highly doubt even dogs can smell small amounts of any substance inside a car from the outside, assuming all the windows and doors are closed.

You seem to underestimate the canine's sense of smell. For example, a dog can definately smell weed in your trunk from just sniffing the outside of it. How do you think bloodhounds are able to track people and find dead bodies which are miles away?