Irritated What's it like to go to a detox facility?

Essentialle123

Bluelighter
My doctor does not even know who Heather Ashton is. I need to taper according to the Ashton manual but my doc wants me to go to a detox facility (cold turkey). Is my doctor ignorant?
Thanx...

What are you detoxing from? If benzo, then yes, unless he is recommending medical detox(highest level, probably $1-3,000/day USD, current industry standard to bill insurance). At these facilities, if you are detoxing off a benzodiazepine, ethanol, or other potentially dangerous med, you will likely be given a sort of taper, as well as comfort meds to keep you safe from the dangerous and potentially deadly withdrawal symptoms. At a shitty detox, you will be left to fend for yourself while you live in pretty much a slumlords house, and yes, people have died at these shitty detox centers. Current regulation is very little.

It really depends what facility and how and who it is ran by... experiences vary from extremely bad to extremely positive. I would recommend meeting a few of the counselors and staff as well as visiting the place before signing any papers. It's also industry standard to have clients sign a document called durable power of attorney which pretty much gives the facility control of your assets in the case of non payment.

From what I have heard, the best ones are free and the least enjoyable. I've heard good things about some Christian charity funded ones, where you work off your treatment(after detox) doing warehouse type work that can turn into full time work once you finish the program. This type of place doesn't offer any sort of meds from the story I heard off hand... it really depends. "Non-medical" detoxes can cost as much as medical, and will only have doctor on consult(likely your own if in the area) and probably a nurse part time/on-call. These places like to put 2-4/bdr and still charge upwards of 1000/bed.

Honestly, after my experience both with detoxing off most every drug at home and my experience working in the detox/rehab industry, I would say that if you can do it on your own, do it on your own. Just be sure to educate yourself, and if you are on really high doses then definitely it's worth getting help because if you end up dead or in the hospital, well....

Many have done it for a fraction of the cost with a wiling doctor and the assistance of a family. A counselor/therapist who specializes in addiction and family can really help with the healing process, and you should be able to find a private practioner at a reasonable rate. This is also my experience in California, US.

Last edited:
I had a dingus doctor tell me I should be in inpatient for my drinking. That would've been fine if I had wanted to at the time and had 20-30k since it wouldn't have been covered by insurance.

Anyways, op, can you taper at home? I'd suggest doing that if you have enough willpower.

Different programs all have different styles as @Mafioso points out ^^. My experience of one’s linked to 12 step recovery programs is that they are mind-bendingly boring because they allow you no mental stimulation other than your own thoughts. No books, papers, internet, TV etc etc while you dwell on your shameful self and how you became powerless over your DOC. This is hell for a stim user with ADHD.