• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What would linguistic profiling of strictly word choice be considered?

Aetherius Rimor

Bluelighter
I was looking into the subject of linguistic profiling, but I have found that there seems to be a heavy emphasis on racial/ethnic/economic discrimination in the subject. Also it is more focused on determining those attributes using speech, accent and dialect.

The subject I'm looking for, would be more the reverse of the concept of neurolinguistic programming. The concept of that is using word choice and diction to influence beliefs.

I want to learn about ideas/theories/research into the analysis of word choice and diction to come to an ability to predict someone's pre-existing beliefs and personality.

I assumed that this would be linguistic profiling, and while it appears it probably is a subtopic in that subject, I can't find a name for that specific branch of linguistic profiling.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey, you might be interested in subjects such as discourse analysis, of which there exists several kinds (the most famous being left-wing intellectuals looking to expose the oppressive ideology in a given text). I think a good, and less biased, starting point could be the textbook "Discourse Analysis" by Brian Paltridge (New York: Continuum Books, 2006). While it obviously does not give clear-cut answers to correlations between language use and beliefs/personality, I think it offers a good starting point for someone who's interested.
Other stuff that you might be interested in could be Julie Sedivy's Sold on Language: How Advertisers Talk to You and What This Says About You
. Actually, I think some of the market and political research being done utilising linguistics and psychology might be useful for you.
Depending on your time-frame and your level of expertise and/or patience, I also recommend more scholarly works, e.g. Peter Harder's Meaning in Mind and Society.

Also, the field known as sociolinguistics is very much related to the three abovementioned works. This discipline, in the broad outline, works with how language functions as a social (and sociological) phenomenon, e.g. as it pertains to status, ideology, gender, political belief etc. Any recent textbook ought to do you good, though I can't recommend any since I haven't done any major reading in the field yet.

Happy reading!

transcribing conversation

I agree 100% with lulzkiller. Sociolinguistics is an incredible field that I would now have a master's in, if I still had a job. But I digress.

I was analyzing recorded conversations by writing them out. I had to listen carefully, stop the recording, write down what I heard. It takes many hours to transcribe a short conversation. There is a very distinct process with strict formatting for writing out conversation.

When you get a conversation completely disassembled, you can clearly see hedges, overlaps, the exact length of pauses, word choices, etc.

Linguistic profiling is basically conversation analysis, if I understand you correctly. So after a conversation is completely written out, including every single sound, stutter, slur or slip up, then I would attempt to attach meaning to the sounds, stutters, slurs, slip ups, and pauses.

That's where I stopped but the process continues all over. I've also deconstructed speeches using the same format as for conversations. There are underlying conditions in all talk and you can become very skilled at converting talking into pages of symbols and words and word fragments, which is done in order to make a judgement call on the motives, underlying feeling, or hidden agendas of the speaker. I think your idea of linguistic profiling is transcribed talk that has been used to judge for meaning, intent, and future motives.

Maybe this explanation will make more sense.

Awesome, thank you very much for letting me know what subject to search for.

That's a pretty awesome document ugly, thank you! It allows analysis of spoken speech just as much as written by following that format to transcribe it. Very interesting!

People interested in how language both shapes and reveals belief systems may enjoy the works of Mary Daly.
From wikipedia:
Mary Daly (October 16, 1928 – January 3, 2010[1][2]) was an American radical feminist philosopher, academic, and theologian. Daly, who described herself as a "radical lesbian feminist",[1] taught at Boston College, a Jesuit-run institution, for 33 years. Daly retired in 1999, after violating university policy by refusing to allow male students in her advanced women's studies classes. She allowed male students in her introductory class and privately tutored those who wanted to take advanced classes.[1][3][4]

I believe it was Daly who first fought over "history" being "his story". She advocated that - along with who led what army and the like - that there should be a woman based course of study called "her-story". Another one of her word games was breaking down the word "therapist" into "the rapist" arguing that men have been raping women's minds for years.

I haven't read any of Daly's stuff since my introduction to feminist theory class back in the 70s. I was the only guy in a class with 30 women. I really enjoyed being the token minority back then!

I'm sorry, I just thought of something else that is related to this subject... The study of general semantics. I first encountered the subject as a young teenager, when I was reading ACE science fiction novels. Brand new, the cover price was generally around 60 cents. I stumbled upon the "classic" works of A. E. Van Vogt. From Wikipedia: The World of Null-A

The World of Null-A, sometimes written The World of Ā, is a 1948 science fiction novel by A. E. van Vogt. It was originally published as a three-part serial in Astounding Stories. It incorporates concepts from the General Semantics of Alfred Korzybski and refers to non-Aristotelian logic.

In this story Gilbert Gosseyn (Gilbert Go-sane) Can we speculate that David Bowie was paying homage with "Aladdin Sane" --A lad insane?
In any event the main character has to overcome the linguistic programming that has put psychological fetters on his ability to interact with the world. After a long struggle with himself and what he thinks are his most cherished beliefs, he transcends himself to become a superman.

A decade after reading the collected works of Van Vogt, I took what was then an advanced class on the meaning of "meaning". Our textbook was Language in Thought and Action, by S. I. Hayakawa.

From Wikipedia: The original version of this book, Language in Action, published in 1941, was in many respects a response to the dangers of propaganda, especially as exemplified in Adolf Hitler's success in persuading millions to share his maniacal and destructive views. It was the writer's conviction then, as it remains now, that everyone needs to have a habitually critical attitude towards language — his own as well as that of others — both for the sake of his personal well being and for his adequate functioning as a citizen. Hitler is gone, but if the majority of our fellow citizens are more susceptible to the slogans of fear and race hatred than to those of peaceful accommodation and mutual respect among human beings, our political liberties remain at the mercy of any eloquent and unscrupulous demagogue.

I vividly recall 2 slogans from the text: the map is not the territory. The word is not the thing.
To give a very simple example, a driver traveling for the first time to a place he has never been. He is following a road-map carefully, Suddenly the map says to go "right" but there is no right hand turn. If the driver is deeply invested in that map he will continue looking for a turn that does not exist. A different driver, not so much in love with his map, will quickly conclude that the map is wrong and find a person or a gas station to get updated directions.

Wikipedia again: "The original version of this book, Language in Action, published in 1941, was in many respects a response to the dangers of propaganda, especially as exemplified in Adolf Hitler's success in persuading millions to share his maniacal and destructive views. It was the writer's conviction then, as it remains now, that everyone needs to have a habitually critical attitude towards language — his own as well as that of others — both for the sake of his personal well being and for his adequate functioning as a citizen. Hitler is gone, but if the majority of our fellow citizens are more susceptible to the slogans of fear and race hatred than to those of peaceful accommodation and mutual respect among human beings, our political liberties remain at the mercy of any eloquent and unscrupulous demagogue."

I will point out that both sales and marketing, and particularly modern politics, use simplistic words to create the illusion that the race is about "us vs them", the "1% vs the 99%" "pure Americans" vs impure immigrants".

Also book-based religions obviously are heavily invested in getting people to believe that: the word IS the thing. Critical thinking is frowned upon, while blind faith in things that can not be seen or experienced for one'self is considered the highest virtue.