• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What the hell happened- did I almost overdose?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
Last night I smoked pot for the 3rd night in a row. Smoking pot used to be a simple pleasure for me but now it is a vice because ever since I had heart surgery, it gives me chest pain almost every time I smoke. Usually the first night is mild pain, but the more days I do it in a row, the worse the pain gets. It feels like it is legitimate lung pain and while I'm high I have a hard time breathing. It's like I hold my breath subconsciously to avoid the pain of breathing.

Question A: Anyone have any theories about why my lung pain gets worse after smoking more days in a row? I mean, is that normal? Is it inflammation? Obviously smoking is not good for your lungs but I don't hear many cigarette smokers complaining of holding their breath to avoid pain. So if anyone has any theories about my chest/lung pain after smoking pot, please do share.

You may wonder why I would ever smoke pot then with such terrifying symptoms. The short version is I've somehow convinced myself it doesn't do permanent damage, that the pain is in my mind. Although deep down I don't know if that's true. So last night I was having really bad pain on the right side of my chest. It specifically felt like my lung, and the pain got worse when I took a deep breath. I had so much anxiety worrying that I had damanged my lung. I just wanted to go to sleep so I didn't have to feel it... so pounded down a bunch of Poppy Seed Tea and took 1.5 mg of Xanax. I'm pretty sure I did quite a bit of PST, although it's hard to know. This was a brand of seeds I had never tried before and it tasted more metallic than I was used to. It's worth mentioning I also took a normal dose of aspirin, like 325 mg or whatever.

Question B: Anyone hear of poppy seed tea, aspiring, or pot causing people to cough up blood? You'll see why I'm asking in a minute...

Fast forward to the morning. I had a solid 7 hours of sleep. Not too bad compared to other days. When I woke up still with the same lung pain, but also a really bad headache and a cough. I noticed that I coughed up some blood but didn't think much of it. I thought I just had a cold. But I was SOOOO tired too. Unreasonably tired even for having a cold. Kept almost falling asleep at the wheel while driving to class. Definitely fell asleep in class. I literally couldn't keep my eyes open. I was half asleep while walking even, like literally sleep walking. I was NOT there. After class I tried to go to work but I couldn't even do simple things like remember my password. I was so easily confused, tired, and unable to think I was worried that I had had a stroke in my sleep. Really worried about the stroke thing still. I don't understand what was wrong with my brain during this period. It was more than being tired, I was literally unable to function. I'm lucky I didn't crash my car.

So I left work and went home, and at this point I realized I was coughing up blood every time I coughed. Like a substantial amount of fluid and deep red blood.

I went to the ER but the waiting room was packed, so I called my cardiologist to ask if he thought it was an emergency type of thing. But I only was able to talk to a nurse, and of course I didn't tell them the whole truth. All I really told them was that I coughed up blood. Couldn't say anything about the pot and PST. They didn't seem toooo worried about the coughing up blood, said they'd try to get a message back to me from the doctor. I waited for about an hour and suddenly I was feeling better. Actually I had gradually been feeling better all day, but at this point I felt almost normal. Since no one seemed to think my situation was urgent I left and went back to work.

There has been less and less blood each time I cough now and now it's mostly phlegm. Did the situation solve itself?

I just want to know what the hell happened. Does anyone have any idea or theories? Perhaps I almost died and that's why my brain was shutting down? Perhaps mixing the Xanax and PST was too much?

I know, I know, I should see a doctor, and I will. But I would like to hear from anyone who has even the slightest IDEA of what might have happened to me. You, my friends, are the only people who know the whole truth.

Hi,

I think the fact that you had heart surgery and that pot is causing strain on your heart should be enough to tell you to stop smoking anything. I don't know what happend with your lung, but pounding a bunch of PST and taking 1.5mg of xanax can be pretty dangerous. Overall, I'd say your in the clear now most likely, but you should definitely get the lung blood situation still checked out.

Hi,

I think the fact that you had heart surgery and that pot is causing strain on your heart should be enough to tell you to stop smoking anything. I don't know what happend with your lung, but pounding a bunch of PST and taking 1.5mg of xanax can be pretty dangerous. Overall, I'd say your in the clear now most likely, but you should definitely get the lung blood situation still checked out.
This

Iirc taking blood thinners, like aspirin, can lead to coughing up some blood, but get it checked, just to be safe.
You should stop smoking weed and never combine a high dose of Xanax with PST again, it could kill you